Experian Direct / Credit report ripoff

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I accepted their offer for a "free" credit check. Without knowing, the began charging me $15 a month for what I later found out was a "membership." I didn't realize I was being charged for close to a year. When I called to complain and cancel the recurring charge, a person named Daphney said it was all laid out in fine print. She said I had to be a member to get the "free" credit report, thus the monthly charge.

Since they are based in Irvine, CA, I am considering filing a formal complaint with the Orange County district attorney. I think his name is Tony Rackauckas. He needs to clean up businesses in his jurisdiction. Maybe we should all phone his office and demand action.

Pa

Comments

• La
      25th of Mar, 2010

Dude, I just called these yo-yos for the same reason. They want to tell me they'll allow me to keep Experian Direct for three months for free. Uh...I just paid for something I did not want in the first place, so, uh, NO THANKS...give me my MONEY BACK. I got charged for two months before realizing it, but I don't care. Gimme back my $30.00.

• La
      29th of Mar, 2010

Just an update...I went to the Better Business Bureau's website and filed a complaint there. The company agreed to give my money back. According to the statistics on the website, Experian APPEARS to be legit on the surface (with a B+ rating, as it probably gives people their money back once they complain, especially after having so many people file complaints against them). I'm not sure how you will fare with your complaint (if you haven't explored this option with the BBB yet), since it is considerably more money than the average consumer, I fathom...but I hope this route of action works for you.