Enom, Inc. / Price Gouging

1 MI, United States Review updated:

I want to start by saying I’m really disappointed with the way enom has performed this practice of price gouging. I switched over to enom because I heard that you were a reputable, upstanding company with excellent customer support. I’m sorry to say I was wrong.

I had a domain come up for renewal on February 22 (mikewhitty.com). I was sent a reminder about 45 days prior. On about January 21, my credit card was charged $34.95 for a one year renewal, when the renewal fee has always been $19.95. Here’s my complaint. I feel you have stolen this money by not informing me that your prices had gone up so drastically, allowing me to make the decision on whether I want to accept your pricing. Not only that, you didn’t even wait till the expiration date, but charged me a month in advance so I wouldn’t have time to decide.

When I complained to customer service, they informed me that they would be glad to refund my money, but in doing so, they would put my domain in redemption even though I had time left, and that would cost me $250 to get it back.

So here’s what you’ve stolen from me: you stole my ability to make a decision regarding your new pricing structure by not informing me in advance, you stole my remaining time before expiration to make a decision, you stole my money by charging me a month in advance of expiration, and you threatened to hold my domain hostage if I dared ask for a refund. I’m glad to say that my company would never treat our customers in this manner, otherwise we would have been out of business a long time ago.

I have since transferred the remaining 5 domains over to GoDaddy. I tried to disable the Registrar-Lock for Autosalestraining.us, but you wouldn’t let me. It looks like it’s already been transferred over successfully, but I’d appreciate it if you unlock it anyway.

You can keep my $34.95, but I will be posting this with BBB and every forum I can find that you have a complaint on. The right thing for your company to have done was to send an email informing your customers of the price increase, allowing your customers to make their own decision. But if you’d have done that, I’m sure you would have lost a lot more business. By charging them a month in advance without informing them, you’d at least get one payment before they dropped you, or at least it would have slid by without them noticing it.

I hope this email at least gets to someone in charge and not just deleted. I feel this is a very serious offense.

Comments

• Ju
      3rd of Oct, 2010
    Enom, Inc. - Spamming
    ENOM, INC.
    MEDICSHOPID4.COM

Hi,

With reference to the above domain name (http://medicshopid4.com), this owner has been spamming all around people's inbox, causing lots of nuisance and spreading virus to others.

Please help to eliminate or take serious actions against this owner.

Your kind support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

26th of Mar, 2015

Enom.com is getting greedy. I also have bought a domain with much higher price only to find out later that it is a what they called a "premium" domain and I can't transfer to another registry. If I built a website on it, I'll be stuck with them and have to pay whatever price they ask in the future. This company is unethical.

• Ki
      7th of Apr, 2017

Much worse for me. I am reporting to the better business borough. I bought my domain name from another web site building company, but really did not like their web bite building platform, so I went searching for another company and found a good one, in which I built a new site. This took a little time. When I was ready I was told by the old company that eNOM had control of my domain, and I could re-point it via them. I went on to do so, and logged in to eNOM and re-directed it. This was over 3 years ago. That was 3 years ago, 2015, when I MOVED the redirection, only knowing that that it when I found out eNOM had my domain. I didn't even see if they had hosting or not, because I already had one. In 2015 I received an email about needing to renew it and I did so on March 3st, at the regular price. I never even looked at the date. Once again, I got an email last month, and I went to renew it on the 31st, as I did last year, and also I got a call that the site was down from a friend. It was March 5th. I checked iCANN and Whois, and iCANN indicated it was "inactive" status, but NOT "Redemption". So I thought "phew" it was a little late, but within the grace period, and eNOM had covered me last year, so I logged into eNOM it sai it was in "redemption"? I was like "What????. I went to pay and they wanted $250 and exactly the same time as last year? It was exactly on the 5th day of what eNOM says is the grace policy, so I called support. A young lady named KALA answered my call and was thoroughly mean and abusive to me.. She affirmed that I would need $250 to renew it and that it would get worse if I let it go into auction. I'm like Auction??? When did that start? She went on to babble with all kinds of various option that eNOM may do, that I she couldn't say WHEN it would happen, but I had 30 days to decide, and it could be 42 to 60 days until the auction. I asked about this 30 day grace period, and she said sure, from the date of the registration, because I thought I was only 5 days late, as the previous year. She explained that my domain was registered on February 21st, not March March 31st. I was like, well why didn't you guys warn me via email LAST year? Why did you not care? I figured it must have died out, and no one wanted it, and I just purchased it again? What changed? So you mean a registrar can now buy the name themselves if it expires, and hold it over your head?? Historically this was never iCANNs purpose. I wonder if THEY are getting in on the action too? About an hour after the call I checked iCANN and Whois again and then sure enough said "REDEMPTION". So the young lady had it right there ready to change right after the call. They either didn't care last year, or something changed, and it did, but eNOM is taking advantage of people. I checked GoDaddy's policy, and they are much easier on people in all cases, and I could have gotten it out of Redemption (I hate those name in this case), but for $80. Another said $50. So iCANN just created a beats of a huge grey area, and obviously eNOM is making the best of it. So I guess my next question would be, can eNOM bid against me if I decide to go to Auction? If now, could an employee that has all of our information, also bid against me, away from work? So here's the deal. I am disabled. I took the long road home, but I will live. I live on disability, and the fact is that eNOM can do whatever they want, even let me have it at the regular cost or something a little more reasonable. I didn't bring up such things, because I am sure it doesn't matter. However, I am SURE, without a doubt, that no one else in the world wants the domain name, because no one else in the world has done what it is named after. And trust me, they can not do it. In the mean time I wasn't so stupid 3 years ago. I bought 2 other domains with the same name on.net and .org. Either way, they won't care. They may even hang onto it. I will be watching though. I will be.

Abused and broken hearted in Texas

• Ol
      13th of Nov, 2018

Enom has made using them extremely labor intensive. When a client wants to move their domain you now must go through an all manual request / ticket system and keep pinging their staff to move the domain. I use to be able to create a new account and move the domain into myself. They've turned what was already a painful experience of losing a customer into a time sink where I must now micro manage Enom staff to do what use to be automated. They are slowly making me want to get out of the domain management business... and for no reason. Their management must be too far removed from reality as happens with all corporations over time.