Elance.com / Terrible company!

1 Mountain View, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-435-2623

I used elace.com to have some writing done. I just do not have enough time in my life. Most of the providers did good work. One provider did not finish her project and just disappeared. After a two months of trying to contact her I asked elace.com for a refund which I had prepaid for the project. I was told to down load a 4 page word document and fill it out and upload it. As I looked at the document I realized that the reason elace.com did not have a web form was elace.com was trying to complicate the refund procedure so they could keep my money. It was just not worth my time to get a refund. They were keeping my money. I will never use elace.com again! I hate cheaters!

Va

Comments

7th of May, 2008

Check this out: http://www.equay.com/artologi.htm
    After that I ended up scammed by another member on Elance!

• Me
      26th of Oct, 2008

You are right; They make everything complicated to make you quit the claims.

I was a provider on Elance, got problems getting paid, even with the Escrow system, which is all totally not helping or garantee any payment. I had to go through the same process for no results, cause they start back to step one if client and providers can't agree.

They have VERY EXPENSIVE rates, and services is very poor, they send automated emails mot of the time.

They also make updates that can totally mess up the communication between clients and providers, creating more issues...

Finally, I also suspect them to own the biggest firms of providers unless the millions dollars of revenues of these agencies are fake...

So be careful! If you need a freelancer, I suggest you to have a couple of emails and some communication with the firm you choose; you'll see quite fast if they care or not.

Ask for references, that's the best way I guess!

• Ta
      26th of Jan, 2010

I too have used Elance and had to request a refund when a project didn't work out. However I didn't find the refund process a problem at all. Yes, I had t fill out a fun and yes it wasn't two lines but once I filled it out, I received my refund. If not for the principle of the matter, I suggest that you fill out that form and get your money back. Even if it isn't a lot and doesn't seem worth it, it really is.

• Ih
      10th of May, 2010

I also am a provider on elance and i want to say something this site is a sham, its designed to underpay us for are work.You have to bid vs paki and indian companies that mass produce generic low quality content. They spend there time selling promesses they cant keep.spend your time wisely here!
    i Have yet to successfully connect to a real company even though i totally underbid myself and all others, Its your big competitors(maybe owned by elance)that drive prices down to the point that its just not worth it, "work for free you ###ers...

• Mm
      5th of Jul, 2010

This behavior cannot be accepted, home base jobs and businesses is fastly becoming the waves of the employment era. Companies will support businesses which pose no-treat to their companies, the means to an end of traveling far distances to and from work. This is where science are making strong attempts to bring to the light. They need the trial, try-out period to show evidence that we as a society is ready to move forward. So with that being said there should be a class action against not only Elance, any other company that is practicing methods which will crippled the progress of this great nation. Alternatives steps must be implimented, this is the new waves of the way the world will operate. So for a few hungry villians standing in the way of real progress, let's kick there butts off the playing field. Get a organization or form one that will pioneer aganist such practices. Let' get it done!

• Ge
      5th of Nov, 2010

As a provider I have an an overall good experience with Elance.
    You have to spend a lot of time on proposals with lousy clients who have no idea of what they want and probably only about 25% proceed with a project. However, that said once you link up with good clients there are many good projects there.

I simply wont be the lowest bidder. If you are worried about suppliers from other countries that work cheap than your services aren't unique enough. I know of a few clients that took the cheap route and were not happy. The old you get what you pay for is so true.

It's also true that Elance takes up to 10% of the payment, but they are providing the service and for me, I am glad they are there.

As someone who has tried a few different service providing websites--Elance ranks at the top.
    I don't doubt their customer services is mediocre, but nowadays it seems there isn't much customer service anywhere.

There are probably plenty of poor suppliers as the original client (on this page) had experienced. But I see a lot of five-star reviews of services provided so there must also be a lot of happy clients as well.
    My experience is clients get what they put into the job.
    Many don't know what they want
    Many want to pay $5/hr for professional work
    Many don't followup promptly on email
    Many change their direction half way through the project and don't want to pay the supplier for more time.

As with anything, buyer beware.

• Mi
      18th of May, 2011

More details regarding fake users and fake feedbacks on Elance

• To
      3rd of Jun, 2011

I totally agreed, we right now we are dealing with a situation where elance denied responsability by washing there hands in a situation where a company call Best Web Solutions started a website for us (tshirtsflorida.com) and never finished the website. They argued that we never told them about a catalog installation but what happened is that they did not do not even the header with the logo, did not completed the administrator, and left the website halfway (handicap) it ruined our business online . We only asked to complete the website, we did not asked for money. The bad designers says that they finish the job but elance just offer arbitration for $300.00 or $600.00 another way of making money on bad practice. It is a shame that they have questionable people and elance ignored just to keep an 8% profit and make the developer happy. Elance should have taken the time to at least browse our website. Shame on you elance.

• Ou
      23rd of Jun, 2011

Elance abuses Privacy! I have just been informed by a 3rd party (who fully disclosed he was a 3rd party) that elance released my transaction history!
    This 3rd party is not a registered user of elacne, there was no subpoena, no warrant and no request from any law enforcement agency but this 3rd party was able to send several well crated emails to elance inquiring about my account, acting as a 3rd party and was able to get access to my transactional history.

Be warned of elance they do NOT protect your privacy.
    They will release your personal data and release your financial records to anyone...

• Ve
      3rd of Aug, 2011

Since July 28, there is a technical glitch because of which we cannot access our Elance account. We have been providers for more than half a decade. Now for no fault of ours, we are unable to deliver projects to clients and cannot even update them of the status. We cant even accept awarded projects. Our reputation with our clients is at stake... And customer care at Elance sends templated responses. It is worrying, frustrating, unnerving... to say the least.

• Ve
      3rd of Aug, 2011

Despite posting our complaint here, it has been a week now and Elance has still not fixed the glitch that caused our account to close on July 28. I don't think anyone reads these complaints!!!

• Za
      13th of Aug, 2011

anyone taking legal actions against Elance ?

7th of Oct, 2011

Please let me know if there is any legal route against elance, these people have fake customer support agents and always looking to rip providers off, when you have a lot of money in the account, they will suddenly come up with a policy violation and say you contacted the client directly etc, they wont have proof but they will say they cannot disclose anything and you account has been terminated. I lost a lot of money like this. The name of this loser customer support guy is JON VINCENT . Am sure its a fake name though.

Watch out for this kind of scam, thats being run, I lost nearly $2000 . For a small developer that's like a months work on a project

26th of Oct, 2011

This company is a total SCAM. I am sure they will do everything to delete this review from yelp! Elance promotes FREE LABOR!
    Even though Elance guarantees the payment for jobs to its providers, it actually does nothing to protect its providers.
    We had a client whom we designed a website and at the end he canceled the job on us, refused to pay us, and Elance has done nothing to protect us. We haven't even been paid for the hours we spent on this project. I want a justice and I 'll do everything to get my money back!
    STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
    I have every proof to show and prove everything I said here. I have no idea why none tries to sue this company. PLEASE if anyone is interested I really want to sue this SCAM company.

• Sk
      12th of Dec, 2011

elance takes only membership from providers. 70 % projects are fake on elance .

• Ri
      16th of May, 2012

Have you already checked out www.staff.com? This is a great alternative site for work from home jobs and it's definitely legitimate. Employers who are seeking to outsource their work can choose from their pool of talented staff for a lower labour cost, while jobseekers can look for opportunities here.

• Cn
      17th of May, 2012

I regret the day I ever signed up with Elance. They have violated my privacy in numerous ways and refuse to acknowledge my questions and concerns. When I realized what a scam the company is, I contacted customer service on three different occasions to deactivate my account and each time they ignored the message (even though I had auto-confirmation that the messages were received). I even took my complaints directly to Steven Holm, Director of Customer Relations, who also gave me inaccurate information and ignored my emails, until I filed a complaint with TRUSTe about Elance's privacy violations. If anyone else wants to contact him, his email address is sholm@elance.com. If he doesn't respond, file a complaint with TRUSTe.

• Ha
      20th of Aug, 2012
    Elance.com - Like so many similar sites, all the jobs posted pay absolute peanuts
    Elance.com
    elance.com

Like so many similar sites, all the jobs posted pay absolute peanuts. If you are a western artist you will probably end up living in poverty. All the work is aimed at artists from the developing world who can work for weeks on end earning 10 dollars a day.

• St
      3rd of Jan, 2013

I also have had a very bad experience with their management I am very thankful for Elance for giving me a chance to grow my business but it seems that they do not care if there are scammers on their site I have been scammed for over $1000 some people got free work because of Elance and they decided to penalize the provider and not the scammer, I am located overseas can anyone point me to where I should file a complaint?

• Av
      9th of Jan, 2013

Hello Don Vincent

I ask your help now because I was suspended without cause. I made a complaint because I was aggrieve when I hired a fake contractor and his name is Mobin U and I have all the evidence of him being fake or using fake name. I just want you to know now Don Vincent that I am moving on with new life and PLEASE tell elance people especially those who suspended me to stop putting me into the pit. I have a client and we have a deadline. I am suspecting that elance suspended me because of the payment of $147 which was paid by my client last night and I can't withdraw now and also I have a due of payment in the amount of more or less $300 especially this January 19 due.

I hate being hypocrite mr don vincent especially If i am angry because I am not afraid to be angry and destroy everything if I am being mess up w/o a cause. I want you to know that if they suspend me because of the $300 and I have seen many complaint against elance in the search engine due to witholding money as am and SEO expert, Let me tell you these, I don't need that $300. I just bought my brand new car yesterday and what makes you think my client will pay you on the January 19 due? Look, I am an expert in brainwashing as well and I will tell my client to file dispute in her payment method he did to you last night and I will also file a dispute about the payment in escrow about the guy I hired to do my facebook like because that guy is fake and I will assure u that you will pay otherwise I will fly there in California where my mom is staying and make formal charges against elance of cyber crime. You will be all over the newspapaer and online exposure as I own an advertising agency.

Mr Don Vincent, I am not threatening you nor doing this because I just felt it but my rights has been stepped upon and my new life is being dump into the pit. I am talking this to you because I know you get to know me already and I am not perfect but I am just human so please don't allow me to get stumble just because of this nonsense thing. I am innocent and I don't like any trouble with elance. I am begging you to help me and rescue us both and elance getting into this forthcoming trouble.

Please resolved this issue and reinstate my account. If you found I have really violated then suspend me or removed my account because I know, I haven't done any wrong to your policy. Please reinstate my account because I don't like to work outside of elance. I want peace of mind. Also please terminate those who suspended me if you found it malicious.

I am waiting for your reply before I do some petty actions

I don't want to be stupid so please don't make me one. Kindly reinstate my account because both of us especially if you check my record knows I am innocent.

Thanks