Elance / Simply horrible

United States Review updated:

Elance is a joke if you are looking to provide quality work (and get anything close to a fair wage). For buyers it's even worse. The whole site is chalk full of low-quality providers with glowing resumes and feedback. The thing is the providers make multiple accounts and "trade" projects within the accounts for that very feedback.

Elance turns a blind eye so they can collect their service fees.

Their escrow isn't a real escrow system, the website itself has errors all the time and if you are looking for any type of customer service or support you get a phone answering machine and an email support service that never returns emails.

Elance is by far the worst freelancing site I have ever had the misfortune of working with.

If you ever think of checking it out be sure and READ their 800 page terms of service statement. They are not responsible for ANYTHING. They can come back and take money you made months ago if they want (and they have citing problems and fraud)...even though their system is supposed to prevent these things.

Elance is a joke and a horrible affront to decent business practices.

Lo

Comments

• Th
      1st of Jun, 2011

I'm not discounting any problems you've experienced, but I have had nothing but good experiences as both a provider and client. It's unfortunate that people go to lengths to "trade" feedback, but I am just providing a recommendation for the company as someone who enjoys their services, especially compared to alternatives.

• Ig
      14th of Apr, 2015
    Elance - Horrible Customer Service
    Freelancer
    Boulder
    elance.com

I have been calling and trying to work with Elance for the past five weeks. They have locked my account due to inactivity in my account (I hadnt filled out a status report from one of my clients)
    As soon as I was made aware of this I immediately took all the actions that they requested. What followed was radio silence.
    You cannot speak to Risk Management (who start at 12:00 EST) and they are the only people that can clear my account. I was told by one of the CS Reps that people have been waiting over a month for their account and there is nothing they can do.
    Now I am waiting on payment of over $1000.00 and cannot accept another job from a happy client which is another $1000.00 job.
    The customer service reps are not empowered to do ANYTHING and the poor things just have to listen to complaints. When I finally got a manager on the phone he was rude and told me there was nothing he could do either and that they were waiting fro more information from my client. That was the first time I had heard that in FIVE weeks. I should not be held accountable for the lack of action on their side.
    I have lost five weeks of work, am unable to pay my bills because they are holding my money and are no help.

5th of May, 2015
    Elance - Horrible Customer Service
    Elance/ODesk
    Mountain View

Elance took a fee for posting jobs and then cut off my account without explanation. Attempted repeatedly to get them on the phone or to reply to emails. This is a scam