DreamTemplate.com / DreamTemplate Price Scam

1 616 Corporate Way,Suite 2-3194Valley Cottage, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: +1 (877) 877-0614 [USA]

DreamTemplate Price Scam

You may have noticed that the prices on DreamTemplate are incredibly inflated. As of today, 29 April 2008, when I visited, Website templates were listed at USD 2400 and Flash Template priced at USD 3500.

They are not even unique which means that after you pay thousands of dollars for a template, someone else could come along and use it for their site, negatively impacting your brand’s credibility.

That’s assuming you’re not ripped off by DreamTemplate’s 30-Day unconditional Refund policy, which, from my personal experience, they empathically do *not* honor.

As most people already know, nowadays you can get professional, unique websites designed for as low as $50 by bidding on freelance sites like rentacoder.com or scriptlance.com. For around $300, you can get a custom design by an experienced, reputable designer.

The best part is that you don’t have to worry about being ripped off. The money is held in escrow by the website until you’re happy with the work.

This leads me to mention DreamTemplate’s overinflated Price Scam. As an internet newbie, I was overwhelmed by the bonanza of high quality websites I saw and what I thought was *very* inexpensive membership fee. Little did I know, there is an ugly story behind their collection.

In 2006, DreamTemplate took the *free* open source templates that have been distributed for years, lightly modified them and offered them as *unique* templates at $400-600 to customers. This was extremely misleading if not outright fraud. Because customers could pay hundreds of dollars for the websites only to discover that half a million people on the net have already downloaded the same template for years, for free.

This caused a storm of controversy among the group of designers who discovered DreamTemplate was deceiving ignorant customers with their free open-source designs. (As seen from a blog post dated 13 September 2006 by Andreas Viklund. http://andreasviklund.com/blog/webdesign/business-ethics) As the blog post notes – Andreas contacted DreamTemplate several times and did not get a response for weeks. An experience consonant with mine although two years later.

The controversy caused DreamTemplate to stop selling their templates as “unique” and label them as open source templates they really are.

I recommend that people avoid DreamTemplates for ethical reasons. These unscrupulous business people know exactly what they are doing. Even their price and product offers are misleading. Don’t be a fool like me, I trusted Telson to process my Refund request made only 3 days later and wasted hours writing 6 emails from 21 Jan – 29 April.

Absolutely *no* progress was made until I contacted the relevant authorities, cancelled my previous credit card and involved my bank in a chargeback dispute.

Please - just be aware about what you are getting into when you sign up for one of DreamTemplates paid services.

Affiliates – please be aware that if you promote businesses with poor business ethics, it will reflect badly upon you as well. I hope my experience will be helpful in factoring the commission vs reputation equation.

Li

Comments

• Ge
      15th of Apr, 2009

I am going through the same problems with them. I asked for a refund with in 24 hours after purchase and was told NO. RUN RUN RUN from this company.

• Fr
      27th of Apr, 2009

Never received membership verification email. No one answers the phone. Captcha form does not work. This is a scam site. I'm going to have to do a card dispute - darn.

• Ge
      14th of Jul, 2009

89 days later, I look on my credit card account online and see that Dreamtemplate has finally refunded me my money. I can not believe it has took a company almost 3 months to give me a refund, something I wasn't expecting. I guess they finally broke down.

• En
      26th of Aug, 2009

I just got scammed by these guys also. Signed up for their membership, got a verification email that took me to a blank web page, they don't answer their phone, their contact form on their site does not recognize your data entered into the form, they have obviously got it set up not to accept the info people are trying to send - probably because the amount of emails they'd receive would crash their server if allowed to go through.

It sounded too good to be true and it was - I knew better but I fell for it anyway.

STAY AWAY FROM DREAMTEMPLATE.COM - THEY ARE SCAMMERS!

• Co
      27th of Aug, 2009

Wow, for the most part all the b.s that you just wasted your time reading about unique price and none unique price all came from a design newbie or someone with a really small iq your choice. Period the price is 59.95 for a membership to download up 60 templetes a day for up to 1yr. The prices shown are for examples, ask any ture graphic/web designer what it takes to put a site togeather from scratch and you figure out why it costs that much.
    They are not promoting you to buy the templates they want you to buy a member ship period. They are the best bang for the buck, you simple down load the template you want and open with the correct abobe or web editing software of your choice and go to town. This day in age with millions of websites out there more chance than none some one will have a layout like yours. What makes the diffrence is the time you take in the graphics and useability period.
    As for those who had refund issues I have no opinion, just a point they did offer paypal one of the worlds best despuite teams who takes care of the whole thing for you.

• Cu
      4th of Nov, 2009

I have purchased their membership and got so much hassle. You can't build any website from that template without seeing hundreds of clones in the Internet. The proposal looks great at the first glance, but I think these guys oversold their inventory too much. They spend a lot of money on advertising and people buy a lot of that stuff. They cannot control the distribution of their online assets.
    I'd better design stuff by myself or at least consider other option like www.templatemonster.com - at least they have 24/7 live support.

• He
      22nd of Feb, 2010

As a long-time web designer, I urge that simply purchasing a template and utilizing it is short of originality. The beauty of using template designs--even those you may create --is that your design doesn't begin from scratch. Coding and designing a web site is time-ordained. You can indeed find designers and developers with services, which may cost less than designs on DreamTemplates. You get what you pay for: the design process awaits, and you generally get what you must compensate for creativity. I agree that the templates in topic can seem expensive to uneducated designers or consumers. Feel free to leave the design jobs to experienced experts. Ciao!

26th of Mar, 2010

I love their templates, they brilliant!
    I download a template, change it dramatically and it's still less time than doing it from scratch.
    With regards to unique templates, I figured that they cannot be unique and publicly available at the same time.

• Se
      19th of Nov, 2010

I disgaree with your complaints about dream template.
    I got prompt support from them, and their templates look great.

The art is in modifying the template so it look unique - that takes skill. And Dreamweaver and Photoshop and an iStockphoto account. These are not simply word documents you type over the text with.

I repeat dream templates is NOT a scam, I paid my membership, got my templates and I'm happy.

Cheers.

• En
      5th of Dec, 2010

"unique websites designed for as low as $50 by bidding on freelance sites like rentacoder.com or scriptlance.com."
    This is a joke. Don't expect something original for this figure. Most likely you'll waste $50.

You need a designer to create a template and then you will need a web developer/programmer to integrate it. If you decide to go with a ready template you may skip the designer's costs but it won't be something original.

Finally there is no figure or price range for unique/original designs and custom features. It can easily go into thousands. It is subject to the requirements of your store/site.