Doubleday Book Club / Featured Books / Misleading Processes

1 WA, United States Review updated:

DO NOT join Doubleday book club.
1) DD did not recognize the extra book I purchased when I first joined as applying to my overall commitment, even though DD itself pushed the purchase specifically to help appply towards the final commitment.
2) The Featured Selections process is VERY misleading and seems set up to take your money without you knowing. You are supposed to get a Featured Selections Email which gives you the option to deline the 2 books offered. However, the Featured Selection actually offers 4 books but only lets you decline 2 of them. You have to visit the website to decline the 2 others, but the Featured Selection email does not tell you that, so when decline what is offered, they send you the other books and charge you for those and shipping and wrapping.
3) In a 3 week period, I not only got the Featured Selection email for 4 books, 2 of which I was allowed to decline, buta week AFTER the email, ANOTHER 2 Featured Selection books were posted to the website to be accepted/declined, and I received NO email!
4) Total cost of this process - over $75 in books that Doubleday misleads the visitor in having to pay for in November/December 2010.

Really, don't get sucked in to the promotion. You will find your credit card charged for books you don't even know have been added to your account as a Featured Selection - you literally have to check the website every few days to make sure you aren't getting something slipped into your account without you being told. BEWARE!!!

Comments

6th of Jan, 2011

I too had numerous requests for featured selections through Doubleday Book Club for November/December 2010. I went on the site four times throughout November to deny featured selections. I thought the featured selections were a monthly request. Unfortunately, I did not receive an email re: one of the featured selections requests for November/December (which is a request for two books at a time, not just a single book per request) so missed the chance to decline it and received two books today. I do not plan on paying for them, nor for their return shipping. I have emailed the company three separate times and am waiting for a response as to how to handle this. I'm hoping to return the books on their dime since I did not receive the email re: those featured selections and since it was obviously some type of fraud/scam since 5 featured selections requests were made through November and December. That's a bit excessive!