Culligan / scam and cheating

I contacted Culligan about installing a water softener in early 2006. We subsequently signed a contract and they came to my house and installed the required units.

Three weeks ago, during a plumbing inspection related to an addition to the house, the inspector saw that the installation was done improperly and issued a citation. The building code calls for a backflow preventer be installed on the main water supply line and an expansion tank on the hot water heater. He mentioned that only liscenced plumbers are allowed by code to make new installations of water softeners and that Culligan's technicians do not have any sort of plumbing qualifications to do they installation that they did.

I spoke to both the Operations Manager (who came to our house) and the Genral Manager on four separate occasions. The Operations Manager acknowledged that the code calls for the indicated backflow preventer and and expansion tank, even though they did not serve any value. He promised to contact the building inspector and contact me which he never did despite numerous messages left with him. I escalated to the General manager at the office who also indicated he would investigate and respond, which he never did. I called him back and he repeatedly said Culligan is authorized to do the installation that they did even though it was in contravention of the building code. He finally said that it was the homeowner's responsibility to know the building code and to make arrangements for a proper installation. It appears they are blatantly performing installations and hoping not to get caught.

Mi

Comments

• Fl
      11th of Mar, 2009

most water meters have a back flow valve on them do you know who plumbers call when it comes to working on equipment ?they call culligan just like you did when you had a water problem plumbers are great for some jobs just most dont know water conditioning like someone that does that only... a plumber can plumb it in for you but ask him how many gallons of water you can get out of a full cubic ft of resin before you reach max capacity and he will probably say uhh i dunno

• Ta
      21st of Feb, 2014

We recently attempted to sue Culligan water, Inc. for a faulty whole house potassium water treatment system that poisoned our drinking water. We rented a potassium whole house water softener which was maintained by Culligan. My daughter was physically harmed, and while Culligan admitted to their negligence causing the poisoned water, they refuse to take action to prevent further damage to others. We requested that Culligan locate the faulty unit that was taken out of our home, they refused and admitted that they don't know where it is & it could be in someone else's home right now!
    Culligan offered us money to keep this incident confidential but we refused, and removed any confidentiality clauses so that we may tell our story & prevent others from being harmed by Culligan's negligence.
    Culligan "sold" us on the potassium whole house water softener, claiming that it would be safe for our family, even our 12yo daughter who has a kidney condition. I later discovered that The W.H.O. warns that those with cardiac or kidney disease should talk to their doctor before using potassium water softeners. Culligan should have known this!
    Toxicologist & water analysis reports from Associated Labs verify that Culligan-treated water had copper sulphate values at 14.9mg/L, which is more than 10-fold the EPA 's MCL of 1.3mg/L (untreated household water had copper levels of .05mg/L). Culligan-treated water also contained acetone (maybe from glue on filters??), untreated household water had no acetone detected. The culligan-treated water had a very high hardness level (the culligan system was suppose to be softening the water) & the untreated household water had a much lower total hardness level than the treated water. The culligan treated water was harder and more corrosive than untreated water & it caused leaching from our copper pipes, which caused copper levels to be at toxic levels in our drinking water. My 12yo daughter & I had documented symptoms which were consistant with copper poisoning. My daughter's symptoms were worse, she had bloody diarrhea and was anemic. After the system was removed by culligan, our symptoms got better.

My goal is to prevent others from being harmed by Culligan's negligence & to make them be accountable for providing safe treated water. Maybe they should be required to perform water analysis testing to be sure their systems are working properly. These companies are not regulated and therefore, have no accountability. Consumers like myself, take for granted that corporations like Culligan are making our drinking water safer to consume.

Our city drinking water districts have strict safety regulations to follow to be sure it is safe to ingest, as does bottled water. It is unbelievable that a company can come in and chemically alter our regulated city water and not have any safety standards to follow.

• Iz
      23rd of Oct, 2017

@Tami vogeler What's the name of the lawyer or the firm you used. Please and thank you. Hope you all are doing better

• Ta
      27th of Mar, 2014

Culligan improperly installed a water softener in our house. The culligan-treated water was harder than our untreated water & very corrosive. Corrosive water causes leaching of copper from copper pipes. The Culligan-treated water contained acetone and a very high copper level (15mg/L) - more than 10 times the EPA's safe limit of 1.3mg/L. The untreated household water had copper levels at .05mg/L & contained no acetone. My daughter & I both had symptoms which were consistent with copper poisoning. My daughter now has ulcerative colitis. Culligan was negligent when they incorrectly installed the softener. There are currently no federal/state safety regulations on these devices. Culligan is installing plumbing without a plumbers license, they are failing to obtain city permits, and in our city, they are installing units which are prohibited by the city. I have reported Culligan to the city, state, and federal authorities. We have spent over $50, 000 in litigation fees & medical costs and in the end, we may end up with nothing. We removed the "gag order" in our settlement. Our settlement is still pending & we may void it & decide to go to trial. I can't tell you how frustrating this has been for us. Culligan was negligent and we got hurt. I wonder how many others there are out there who are being exposed to their negligence and are suffering from the same symptoms as we did. Companies like Culligan need to be regulated and there needs to be enforcement of safe and legal installation procedures. If any of this sounds like something that you've experienced or, you have anything to add please contact me
    ~Tami (425)830-5328

• Wo
      28th of Mar, 2014

I recently purchased a 4-story apartment building in Santa Ana, CA, and we are in the midst of remodeling and repairs. We are contemplating adding water treatment systems to the units for marketing purposes, and this information is making us second guess things. Spending upwards of $50, 000 for equipment that may ultimately lead to water quality issues and unhappy tenants is not a wise business decision! Thank you for posting this information, and I will be speaking to friends about the lack of regulations in this industry as well as calling Culligan to respond to these details. I find it alarming that a company as large as Culligan is knowingly installing systems without proper licensing and training.

• De
      14th of May, 2014

Culligan will find every way they can to screw you. I had a system put in 15 years ago and it has cost me a fortune to maintain. I have their house water filter unit too. The clear housing cracked so I called the Irving, TX Culligan office and asked if they sell the housing replacement which they said they did. I happened to ask how much before I drove over there, and boy, am I glad I did. They wanted $350.00 for the piece. You can buy the whole Culligan unit from Amazon for $29.80, with free shipping.
    You had better watch out doing business with this company.