Culligan / scam and cheating
I contacted Culligan about installing a water softener in early 2006. We subsequently signed a contract and they came to my house and installed the required units.
Three weeks ago, during a plumbing inspection related to an addition to the house, the inspector saw that the installation was done improperly and issued a citation. The building code calls for a backflow preventer be installed on the main water supply line and an expansion tank on the hot water heater. He mentioned that only liscenced plumbers are allowed by code to make new installations of water softeners and that Culligan's technicians do not have any sort of plumbing qualifications to do they installation that they did.
I spoke to both the Operations Manager (who came to our house) and the Genral Manager on four separate occasions. The Operations Manager acknowledged that the code calls for the indicated backflow preventer and and expansion tank, even though they did not serve any value. He promised to contact the building inspector and contact me which he never did despite numerous messages left with him. I escalated to the General manager at the office who also indicated he would investigate and respond, which he never did. I called him back and he repeatedly said Culligan is authorized to do the installation that they did even though it was in contravention of the building code. He finally said that it was the homeowner's responsibility to know the building code and to make arrangements for a proper installation. It appears they are blatantly performing installations and hoping not to get caught.
More Culligan Complaints & Reviews
- Culligan Water - all bottles may be non-refundable deposit 
- Culligan - bad business practice 
- Culligan - billing for service they do not provide
- Culligan Water Conditioning - doesn't care what their customers get
- Culligan Water - do not do business with this company
- Culligan International Company - service for repair sulfur cleer tank system
- Culligan International Company - customer service at watertown, sd location
- Culligan - tank kept regenerating, caused $969 water bill 
- Culligan Water Conditioning - water softener
- Culligan - defective product