CSX / loud horns in residential areas

Druid ave 33756, Clearwater, United States Review updated:

Hi, this CSX train runs through downtown Clearwater, there are many residences along the route, the area that I live in is between druid and Turner Street and just in that area alone there are several apartments houses and condominiums . The CSX train comes by at 8:30 in the morning or earlier and it lays on the horn so loud that if I even put a helmet on my head I would clearly hear the sound through it, for those of us who work night shifts this is very disturbing and for those of us who have children this is also very disturbing . Nothing will block out the sound because the sound is so incredibly loud that it will pull you out of a deep sleep and ruin your sleep for the day . I do not believe that this horn level should be allowed during the residential areas of town, other precautions should be made and I think it is unnecessary for Ahorn to be honked several times at each intersection near homes where people are living and sleeping, I think this should be solved and I'm actually very shocked that this is not been handled by the city Council or local city governments . Taxpaying citizens should not have to endure these types of interruptions in their own home .

De
Oct 08, 2015

Comments

• Sk
      Oct 23, 2015

Hi Deanna,
    I understand your frustration, but the engineer is required to blow the horn at all public road crossings, by federal law, and would be civilly and CRIMINALLY liable if the train struck a person or vehicle and he/she didn't blow for the crossing. The location, number of horn blasts, and the length of the horn blasts are mandatory. The engineer doesn't have a choice.
    There is an exception, and, this is something you may want to pursue with your town- Local/town ordinances can exempt a particular public crossing from having the train horn blown when the train crosses them. This does not apply to emergency situations, like if a person or vehicle was on/near the tracks, but would apply at all other times.
    If enough of your neighbors/townfolk are bothered by it, you may be able to have your town pass an ordinance that exempts the crossing(s).
    Understand that no-horn crossings are significantly more dangerous, but that is something you and you neighbors would have to weigh against quality of life and your peace and quiet.

• De
      Oct 25, 2015

I understand it is the law but it's a stupid law and one that affects tax paying citizens for a company who is making money using these tracks. Each intersections has bells and bars that descend when the train is approaching, the horns are overkill and should be reduced by at least 50% in volume, the volume is absurdly loud, probably 75% louder than any car horn on the road and at 7am and 1am when no on is present they are not needed at all. The law should be reevaluated and based on logical observable conclusions and not a blanket law for all areas at all times of the day. I would say one horn honk per intersection in addition to the bells and lowering bars would suffice and have that horns volume greatly reduced in areas where homes and condo's are located directly next to the tracks.

• Le
      Dec 14, 2018

you are more likely to give old folks a heart attack from sleep deprivation than you are to run someone over who didn't see both the lights and the sound that occurs at the tracks

May 11, 2019

Sounding the horn is fine. I live in Natural Bridge station and it goes beyond that. The horn is repetively tooted in 1 second intervals the whole way through as far as you can hear it. This just started several weeks ago and you can tell it is being done out of spite. One or two horn blasts is more than enough to hear a mile away. I've recorded it and am ready to go to the town council and the news because it's only done late at night when everything is quiet and you can hear the train coming and don't need a horn to tell you that. I want a solids night sleep please. This is our homes you are blasting with this noise.