CRST

Fraudulent company

4.4
CRST Trucking
joincrst.com
I don't have a lot of time to go into this issue here. The purpose of this report is to expose the reality of how things go at CRST.

I went to a CRST sponsored class A driving School. Two weeks and no more than about 10-15 hours behind the wheel, it's make or break training. After I graduated and passed the DMV Exam I was Assigned to a 28 day over the road driver trainer. This person was highly intelligent, and competent but also had nothing good to say about CRST. I was required to drive 11 hours a day then attempt to sleep the remainder in a moving truck while my driver trainer drove, not an easy task. Most days I was on the verge of falling asleep at the wheel. Moving on to the subject of pay, in a nut shell you don't get any pay. So if you have rent, car payment etc, you will default on all these obligations as the company does not accurately and clearly state how much and when they are going to deduct. Furthermore the 22 cents per mile split pay is equivalent to minimum wage, and keep in mind you will need to eat at truck stops which is fairly expensive. The plan they offer is OK if you are homeless, have no bills and want to live in a truck. Remember you cant just walk off the job when your in a unfamiliar state, with no money, as you have no pay coming from CRST. So your traped. CRST has no interest in providing a income for anyone, there game is to make them money, and to exploit the ignorance of persons interested in becoming big rig truck drivers. You might ask how I can say this...well lets start here. If I own a company and hire employees out a of a certian state, say california. I know the cost of living in that state, I know most persons need to make a definite amount of money each week in order for them to meet there financial obligations. So part of my responsibility would be to offer a pay schedule that met the need's of the employee.

Thousands of company's operate this way, and retain employees for years. This is not the case with CRST, they fail to disclose at the at the outset of employee employer talks the true and accurate pay you will receive as a driver. By doing so... this causes the applicant to make a decision based on misrepresentation. If your family is at home waiting on a pay check to pay for, food, rent, etc. you will be in dire need of help and your employer will have no interest in you problem. I could go on and be more specific, but... your better of working at a fast food joint for 6.50 an hour, at least you will gat you pay at the end of the pay period. I would like to invite CRST to a meeting to discuss how they get away with this fraudulent practice. Luckily for myself, I had several other trades I had experience in, I am also a Emergency Medical Tech. so I had a way out. I took the job offer based upon making more than the 750.00 a week I was earning as an EMT. What I got was about 1/3 of that a week minus expenses. Less than minimum wage.
Complaint comments Comments (130) Complaint country United States Complaint category Education

Comments

D  5th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
DEADHEAT: Too many folks get into the trucking industry that can't cut it. Telling them they'll know when their trainer is pushing them too hard is not exactly accurate. They might think that being required to drive their whole shift is "pushing them too hard", or being expected to be able to actually shift gears is too much. As for baby wipes vs. showers, no truck can run for 3 days without refueling and almost every truck stop where you fill up gives you a shower credit for a fill-up. Co-drivers get a shower on the same credit at most of those truckstops as well. Sticking to the bigger-named truckstops helps when it comes to personal cleanliness issues.

ALL: Everyone should be advised, before starting a career, what it really takes, day-to-day, to withstand the starting months in trucking, as well as the normal everyday trucking life once you have some experience under your belt.

It's not an easy life by any stretch. Then again, it's better than some folks have it.

You'll start your day early, finish it late. You'll be expected to drive in every single weather condition short of blizzards and hurricanes. You will be sent to some of the coldest places you never wanted to be in your life as well as places you'd swear are on the edges of Hell because it's so damned hot -- even at 4 a.m. AND... you'll be expected to be able to sleep to satisfy the federal requirements, regardless that it's hot enough to fry an egg on your truck hood or that you could build an igloo with the ice that is on top of your trailer.

You'll almost never be home when you wanted to because no company can guarantee you that they will have a freight load going near your home from the places they've sent you while you're out UNLESS you have a dedicated run.

If you team, or train, you'll be expected to be in the truck with someone who might have really poor hygiene, who may snore loud enough to vibrate the tires off your truck, whose smoking habits may not be compatible with your own (or lack thereof), who is an incessant complainer, or who doesn't want to handle their fair share of the job requirements.

If you drive reefers, you may end up sitting for long periods of time waiting to either load or unload, and yes, that might be days at a time, especially if you primarily haul meat. Meat loads have to not only be slaughtered and cut, but also USDA inspected before you can get your bills and take the load off the premises.

If you are going to drive flatbed, then be prepared to tarp, chain, or strap loads in all weather conditions, including very high winds.

BRING A RAINCOAT. Get good work gloves. LOTS of pairs of them. Lay out the extra cash for a really good pair of workboots, too. You'll never be sorry you did.

Bunks in the sleeper suck. It's simply a fact of life. You can mitigate how uncomfortable they feel with some kind of inflatable mattress. They're not that expensive and will pay for themselves with the better rest you'll get. But, teaming... you might find it hard, or even impossible, to sleep while that cab is rocking from side to side and up and down while you're going down the road. If that's the case, then get out of teaming at the first possible chance. You either learn to handle the motion or you go solo. Period.

EXPECT TO BE LIED TO by company recruiters. NEVER believe anything you don't see in writing and even that is suspect. If you don't get it in writing, though, you can't blame anyone but yourself for what follows and you'll have no recourse as far as contesting your DAC, either. AND, when you do get something in written form, read ALL of it, otherwise you can expect that you aren't going to be happy with the results. If you've signed it, but not read it, then you are to blame, not the company.

NEVER believe the company's line about percentage of drop-and-hook loads. They're rare for most companies. You'll see claims that tell you 90% drop-and-hook in recruiting ads, but the truth is more like the exact opposite most times. Working for someplace like UPS or FedEx, you might expect it to be higher, but for the majority of companies, it just ain't so. You can reasonably expect 5-10% drop-and-hook at most companies.

DO expect to have to fingerprint loads (do loading/unloading) at some point in your career. And DO expect to have to haggle with lumper services on behalf of your company many times. You gain nothing from the haggling, but it will be expected of you anyhow. As for loading and unloading, you can complain to your driver manager about having to do it, but I don't advise it. (see next paragraph)

If you are the kind who complains a lot to your driver manager about a myriad of situations, expect to become one of the very unhappy types who sit around truckstops for days on end and don't turn miles and, therefore, get PAID. As has been stated numerous times above, trucking companies overhire, making it very easy for them to shift loads to drivers who will run like crazy without complaint. Most drivers' complaints deal with issues that the driver should have researched prior to committing to driving for that company, taking up the particular trucking segment (reefer, flatbed, tanker, household goods hauler, etc..), or becoming a trucker at all.

DO expect your truck to be speed-governed. That will range from 55-70mph in almost all companies UNLESS you are leasing, in which case, your truck might be governed at 75.

DON'T expect to average, over the course of an 11-hr day, your governed speed for the entire day. IF you base your expectations on 11 hrs at 60+ mph, you're going to be pretty disappointed with your paychecks. Believe it. You have to take into consideration any and all possible traffic delays. A good day is one that you covered 600-650 miles. MOST days aren't going to be that good. For budgetary considerations, simply figure 50 mph times however many days you will run for that week normally as your base budget figure. If you outspend that, expect unhappiness to ensue as a result.

In life, 90% of things that happen are out of your control. Learn to live with that fact and then take full responsibility for what happens in that other 10%. You'll be a lot happier.
N  5th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
Oh, and while we're at it... PAY for miles. This is going to vary from your expectations almost every single load you take. Depending on which company you driver for, you'll find they pay "based on" HGMG (Household Goods Movers Guide). That does NOT mean that you will even get paid for the entire mileage specified in the guide. It means they take the HGMG figure as a BASE and discount the miles specified by x percent and you get paid for the discounted miles in most cases. AND, you will find that for reasons that defy explanation, your pay will drop for the very same load ran last year to running it this year because, inexplicably, the two cities somehow got 50 miles closer according to the HGMG, which the companies readily adjust their own discount rate for, resulting in you getting paid less. I strongly suspect that Rand-McNally is paid under the table to fudge the HGMG every year by trucking companies and would love to see a congressional investigation into whether that is true.
A  13th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
My husband, too, has been at crst, going throught the same crap! they tell these drivers all sorts of things only for them to go all the way to iwoa, just to find out that nothing is even true. my husband has been a previous truck driver and was working for a good company, but had to leave under extreme conditions. I think this company either needs to be truthful with these drivers from the beginning and stop lying to good people who just want to support there familys. shame on you crst. didn't your mothers teacher you better!!!
A  13th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
Crst trucking: all summed up. crst just sucks. the end.
N  15th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
Im trying to get crst to pay for my schooling an signing a 8 mnth contract with them is this realli a bad company to work for, watz tha pay like, I have my military gi bill to pay for it but I want to use that for my bills, is this really that bad to work for this company
N  16th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
Combatzone... wow, did you even read the above posts at all?
N  17th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
I was gonna choose crst over swift. but was talked out of by regular truck drivers. yes I said right regular drivers who haul freight every day told me swift is a better company. second team driving would make me go nuts... now I understand every company has flaws. but solo driving with swift may be fun at time then tough in others. I want atleast 6 months over the road with swift.. if I like it and can make it 6 months through all the bs. then just maybe i'll suvive more then 2 yrs with them. then maybe i'l buy a truck. can continue to haul loads... sky's the limit...

Every company has goods... bads abouth them.. just gotta find the right one...
Recent graduate of nettts of ri
N  17th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
yeah i read all the crap this companiez done, i havent signed a contract yet so im looking for other companies that will pay for my schooling an wont jack me in tha end.got any sugeztions

N  18th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
any1 have any info on central refigerated trucking school in fontana, ca, might go with them instead of crst
N  18th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
yeah i think im going to go with schiender national.they seem like the best way to go.i want a company that will treat me right and deal with my military time off.

N  20th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
You would have to be homeless, no bills, and a damn near PERFECT driver to make it with this company. People sit for days, no pay, no load, and don't you dare go to the bar on all of your unpaid days, they own you, but you aren't making min wage. Yes, you need to learn to eat and cook and sleep in your truck, SUCK IT UP. But, really do you need to learn to get paid for 250 miles when you drove 400. What a [censor]ing scam. It really does look like they try to get as many new drivers as possible and cut them loose after their training period. Do they get government money? I don't know but it sounds bout right.
N  21st of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
I know someone who got fired in Cali for hitting a telephone pole, fine, but they said, "FIND YOUR OWN WAY HOME" That really doesn't seem legal to me
N  25th of Jul, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I drove for CRST for 2 years, 1986-1988. They were then and I believe now a good company to work for. There are dues to be paid as is the case with any profession you choose. As with any company don't expect to make a lot of money the first 6 months. If you are a younger person with children not yet grown, give consideration as to whether you can leave them behind for weeks at a time. If you are choosing a trucking career and don't love to drive, you won't make it. Keep in mind the state of the economy. People are only buying what they have to have such as food and clothing. Referigerated freight will allways be needed. Dry van and flatbed will not recover to what it was until the economy improves. The reasons companies keep a lot of drivers and trucks out makes sense. #1 Deadhead miles make the company no money. #2 A large pool of drivers can cover for the large number that might quit in any given week. #3 Trucks are expensive, competition dictates that even owner operaters who don't stay out for 3-4 weeks at a time run the risk of running in the red. High medical insurance has kept truckers from getting the raises needed to keep up with inflation over the years. If you are still pursuing a career in trucking don't expect more than one hot meal a day, it is cost prohibitive. Get a portable referegerator for your truck, eat healthy, don't eat too much or you'll gain weight and wind up with back problems Make your deliveries safely and on time. Your dispatcher will get to know you and trust you with the long hauls and tight times and you'll make good money. My first 9 months out I only made $9000. My second year, 12 months I made $30000. This was 24 years ago when gas was $.79 a gallon. Ive just completed my first week of CDL training in the same building that trains CRST drivers. The trainers answer all your questions and are very helpful. The driver trainers are very good. All the instructors love their jobs. The CDL testing requirements by the state are more rigid than they were 24 years ago, and that's a good thing. There is a 6 hr. driving segment each day. You do get a lot of driving experience at this school. It is a nationally recognized school accepted by all motor carriers. The school is 7 days a week for 2 weeks, CRST sponsored training. 3 weeks, weekends off if you are paying for school. With dedication, a positive attitude and a lot of patience and some hard work you can become a successful trucker. You have to start somewhere and the companies are pretty much the same. Trucking is a way of life just like farming or having your own business is a way of life. Personally, I never want to punch a time clock or have someone breathing over my shoulder in a hot factory again. Seems when you quit running and start walking they'll find an excuse to fire you. Now trucking, those trucks are all air conditioned and they ride a lot smoother than they did 24 years ago. There will allways be a demand for drivers. More and more freight will go back to trains as fuel becomes more expensive. The freight companies who develop these logistics to put the freight on trains, then pick up the freight at the other end rail yard will be the companies that continue to stay in business. The rest will all rely on short haul freight. 20% of all truckers on the road today are 55 years of age or older. In 10 years from now it will be the drivers who dictate the pay due to real driver shortages. Now is a good time to get into trucking. Be safe and good luck to all of you.
N  28th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have read all the comments and postings. I am not liking what I hear about this company. My husband spent time in Little Rock, Ark to get his training that he was suppose to be hired by USA trucking which dropped him after the forth day but another company picked him then dropped him after graduation and CRST picked him up. We are in a financial situation that we need the money to meet our bills. My husband is there now going through the orientation. He has driven before, for Uncle Sam in the Army. We know he will be gone 4 weeks at a time that is not a problem. I am having an issue with that the paychecks are not direct deposited into your own checking account that they are given a Comm Data Card for they money to go onto which I have never heard of. So I am worried about how I am going to pay the bills if I have no access to the money but through this Comm Data Card that he will have on him all the time. According to my husband the first three weeks he can receive his paycheck mailed to our house which I told him to have them do that so that way I can see the gross pay and all the things they deduct from the pay. The insurance they offer is Blue Cross Blue Shield and we could use the insurance. i told my husband to send all the information he gets in writing to me by mail so I can look at it.
With everything said on these comments it has me wondering if we will even be able to pay our bills while i finish up college which i am unable to work due to student teaching this semester.
N  4th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Im going to crst training here in fontana, ca I hope waiting on alexis west to get bck to me. uhmm 8 mnths aint bad, driving with another person is cool I did it overseas with another person.22 cpm itz gonna b tough but it has to b done to get my experince. I thought it was split pay but its split miles as long as I get 2-3000 ill b cool. I applied to alot of companies like stevens transport in dallas (have to take the test all over again so ill lose all my endorsements for califonia) and give them a arm an a leg to get into their school, cr england heard they push you into leasing a truck to go solo, r b a co-driver for 13 cpm somethin around there, swift wants 150 upp front. central refigerated is good but hard time faxing my papers to them. put I n more apps but 90%of them stopped hiring students from california. I wanna drive for covanant transport or con-way truckload, but I need atleast 6mths otr. im not scared to work not a lazy person at all. I love to drive u can ask any1 thats been in my truck. if they want me to push ill push hard. any trainers looking for a hard working new to tha game student. im your man. im use to sleepin in amoving truck. sleepin only 3-4 hrs a day, driving for hrs on end. advice on crst? how much will my checks b startin off, hws the training, hw many trainers r there, will I b waitin in fontana for weeks bfore I get on the road, hometime aint a issue for me aslong as I get to see my wife and kids, shez cool with me doin this, she stuck by me for 2 yrs while I was in kuwait. where are most of the loads out of and where do we dropp them off. advice and warnings would b very appreciated, take care of your soliders right.

N  5th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have been left home with my children so that my husband can go trucking. I have heard that CRST is one of the best. I don't doubt that they are one of the best, however there payroll department needs to be upgraded. My husband drove for a week and would have gotten paid on a thursday. But payroll has yet to set up a way for the drivers to get there paperwork in on time if they are in the Jersey area. Because they have not, my husband has to wait another week for his paycheck and they won't even give him an andvance to pay his bills because they said they have to pay there bills first. In my opinion, you can not hire employees unless you first give them to opportunity to fullfill there obligations of getting the paperwork in on time and second you don't tell your employees that they will get paid when the company decides to pay them. My husband got his paperwork in late because of there neglegence and should not be punished for it. He now has no money for bills, food, or even tolls. So tell me how they expect him to work and keep his job. Yes, it is a tough job and my husband only took this job because the construction industry went downhill due to the economy. He has been working with this company for over a year now and is still only making about 400 a week. He is partners with his brother and this should make it easier to get the loads done because they have always worked together. Partner trucking was suposed to be better in the way that they get more loads because they don't have to take as much time off the road. The other problem we have encountered with this company is that when the boys are due to come home for there home time, they are never on time and there hometime is always cut short. This time they were suposed to get a load to phoenix so that they would be home on time but dispatched gave the load to someone else even though the boys were ready to except it. I am extrememly frusterated because my husbands son came here for the summer to see his dad that he hasn't seen in almost two years and will miss seeing him because of them being late again. He is only 15, and lives miles away. His dad is his whole world. I understand that the company can't get involved in personal ongoings of there employees, but we the families need to have consistancy and the company needs to keep to there contracts.
N  13th of Aug, 2010 by    -1 Votes
C'mon. You're sitting behind a wheel all day. Of course you aren't gonna make the big bucks- if you aren't satisfied with the pay- Go to school.
A  20th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
My husband worked for CRST for 3 weeks. It was the worst. The trainer was some snot nosed kid who texted and did all sorts of unsafe things while driving. This did not make it easy for my husband to sleep and feel safe while the trainer was at the wheel. Their pay was terrible and you are constantly going. If you are a company driver, you better like teams, because that is all they have. CRST basically will hire anyone and yes, they do it for the government money for sure. Thankfully, my husband found a better job running steel for much better pay and is home every weekend. I would say if you are looking for a trucking job, CRST should be your last resort.
N  31st of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
I worked for crst and did not make any money and got treated like a piece of dirt by the trainer. and the living condition with this trainer were bad. never gave me a chance to do my job or think. so I finally left that company and it seems to be hard to found a otr job with not much experience.
N  9th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I worked for crst a few years back and it was the worst thing i ever could have done. You work very long hours for very little pay. 70 hours a week driving and the rest sitting in truck stops or waiting to get loaded. Alot of homeless people work for this company because they have nowhere else to go. soon you just work all year round and spend your holidays at a truck stop diner. very sad lifestyle. I worked local for a while after crst and made more money and worked a regular day with weekends and holidays off. Some people might enjoy it but they are the ones at the truck stop chain smoking cigs and talking about that one crazy trip they had going into new york city. I think there is alot of mental illness in the trucking industry and not just the drivers but the people the money hungry used car sales men that sell these good people a job. very sad.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree