CR England / Bait and switch

I submitted an online application for employment on the C.R. England (CRE) website on May 16, 2009. I was contacted by Jennifer Skinner, Senior Recruiter, with a job offer on June 11, 2009. This offer included: (1) employment after completion of four days of orientation, and (2) ten days of driving with a trainer. I accepted the offer. She offered Greyhound bus transportation to their facility in Salt Lake City, UT. I opted to fly since the departure date was on Fathers Day and it was a 9½-hour bus ride from Reno to Salt Lake City. She said that CRE would reimburse me $100 of the plane fare.

I arrived in SLC on the afternoon of June 21st. The next day, Monday, I began their orientation. That afternoon I was called back into the recruiting office with the news that there was “a problem with my paperwork”. There, I was told that my driving experience was inadequate and that I’d have to attend their school for three weeks (the cost would be deducted from my future pay) and that I would have to spend 30 days on the road with a trainer (at a reduced rate of pay). (I’d had my CDL-A for four years). I refused and said that that wasn’t what Jennifer and I had agreed upon before I left Reno. I was met with silence and a stare.

Once back in my quarters, I called Jennifer and left a message that I was awaiting her direction as how I was to be getting back home. There was never a response from her so I made the arrangements for my return for the next day, June 23rd.

Once back in Reno, I emailed Jennifer and asked what arrangements I could make for CRE to reimburse me for the money I had spent. I heard back from her on the 24th. She stated, “I guess our compliance department saw your experience different than I did.” She also asked that I send her the plane receipts for my travel and she’d see what she could do. (I emailed those to her on the 25th.) Later, she wrote, “…we reimburse for travel once an applicant is hired, so I will see if I can get an exception made.” This reimbursement policy was never discussed beforehand.

I have not heard from her since. My last email was on a July 14th, in which I said that I had not heard from her.

I contend that CRE violated a verbal contract made between myself and their Senior Recruiter. I feel that they have a well-rehearsed ploy to get prospective employees to SLC and then, once there, change their offer of employment for financial gain. Once I refused their amended offer for additional schooling and training, I, and my former training and experience, were set aside and ignored. It was obvious to me that once I was no longer a source of monetary gain, I was on my own.

Since, I’ve spoken to other drivers and they’ve said that CRE “is good for that”. “They get you there and tell you have to go through their program if you want the job. It’s hard to refuse because you’re already there and you don’t want to leave and start over.”

After not hearing from them for a month or more I contacted a lawyer with my story. He said that he’d heard about this problem with C.R. England before. He said that what they are doing is called “bait and switch”. And, the best way to approach the problem is with a civil lawsuit. Anyone interested?

Ma

Comments

13th of Dec, 2010

POST THE INFO AND WE ARE SOO INTERESTED IN THIS IMMORAL SO CALLED COMPANY!!!

• Ra
      5th of Feb, 2011

right on brother! i hope you're successful with your lawsuit. i just got off a truck for phase 1 training and i'm not going back! their trainers are not prepared to instruct. they have more personal problems then a manic depressive or a borderline personality. if they expect to be paid for this shoddy training they're in for a rude awakening!

• Mi
      20th of Mar, 2012

Lawsuite YEs.. Love to join. ALtho I dont drive my B.f started with them. and the BS they take out of the pay!! and getting taken advantage of for hometime.. They need an eyeopener