Continental Finance / Misleading information!

1 po box 8099, Newark, DE, United States Review updated:
Phone: 302-456-1930

I started out looking on the comp. trying to find a company that would in some way help me start to regain good credit. I found continental finance and I went with them. When I got the card I called to activate it and the lady on the phone said that I had to make a payment on it, but I still had 2 weeks until the bill was due. I told her that I know when it's due and I will call then to pay it.

I tried to use the card after the first payment was made and I started running into problems. I tried to prepay at a gas pump and the first couple times worked but then when I did it about the 3rd time around it said denied. I called and asked about it and they said that it doesn't let you prepay cuz of security issues. When I called up to make my second payment on Dec. 17th I used my bank card and they kept trying to run it and on my bank statement it showed 4 charges for a dollar each... according to the person on the phone those would come off and I wouldn't get charged. The big thing I ran into was that they kept saying that the zip codes didn't match, so I called the bank and they said it was all correct on their end (since I've been with them 4yrs now). Continental made me call back the next day and it strangely went through then.

About 2 weeks again before my due date in Dec. I started getting calls from the company telling me your bills due in a couple weeks how would you like to set up payment. I mean I was getting 3 calls a day and it would start at 7am. They had my house and cell phone number and I kept telling them to stop calling me that I'm a big girl and I know when my bill is due. It was like they were trying to hold my hand and make me look like an idiot!... or that since I had gotten a card based for bad to no credit that I must have problems paying my bill on time.

I called them again finally around the end of Dec. telling them to stop the calls and they kept coming so I called back later that week and a lady said that there weren't any notes claiming that I wanted them to stop. The first guy I told said it may take a couple months and the other lady said it would take 24-78 hours. I haven't gotten a call since, so they may have gotten the hint, but who knows with these people.

In Jan., I was going out of state and I decided to put all the money on the card and pay it up so I would only have to carry around one card... WRONG! They told me that the money would be there instantly and I ended up with out money for 3 days! talk about bad! When I got my statement it said that I was late on my payment which wasn't true. Again I tried to pay early and I got the same hassle about my zip codes not matching and finally they got it to work. In the month of Dec. they didn't charge me a late fee and the month of Jan they did but they got their money on the same day each month down to it coming out of my account the same day as well!!

I was so upset with them cuz in their disclosure it states that " if you are late 3 months in a row then your apr goes up and then keep it in good standings for 3 months and it goes back." I wasn't even late on any payment, but I guess they thought I was on this one and they MARKED MY CREDIT and charged the fee!!! I couldn't reach them at ANY NUMBER!!! I was SO mad that I started crying cuz I felt so helpless. So today I started digging and thank god I found this website and got a number off it. I called and talked to a "jennifer" she said that she would talk to her supervisor about the late fee of now 35.00 (which they claim went up at the first of this year from 30.00) and she was able to get it dropped off. I asked her about the reason why my due amount is 97.00 and she said that it was the late fee and maintenance fee!!! I said NO WAY will I pay that!! Jennifer proceeded to call me a pessimist and that I wasn't taking her offers. I asked her about the 3 months in a row being late and why the first time they miss mark me as late I went into collections... her response and I quote "I... aaahh... eeerrr... well, I don't have control over that I will ask my supervisor and let you know" she refused to talk about it after I went on hold for 15 minutes. I told her I will not pay that amount cuz there fore I would STILL be paying the late fee and she said "well, look at it this way you will have 97.00 added to your account to spend then." I told her if I want to spend that much I would pay that much but I don't want to!! She said she couldn't change it and I asked her why the automated system says that you can make payment arrangements or push the due date and she said they can't push the due date back unless I make a payment and it clears... hhhmmmm... I told her I just made a payment a week ago and it cleared so why can't you push it back. She had no answer for that and she was just getting upset with me.

What she offered me in the end was to post date using my check card for the 22nd, my next payday, but my bill's due the 18th. She said that we can post it out, but you would have the late fee charges placed on your acct plus the maintenance fee but our supervisor can go back in and credit it back to your acct!!! I said "well it would mark my credit then!" Jennifer's response was "well my supervisor should have the power to go in there and show that the mark against you was paid up" ... (with a dumb founded look on my face right now...lol) WHAT KIND OF IDIOTIC COMPANY WOULD OFFER YOU THIS KIND OF DEAL IF THEIR MAIN POINT IS TO HELP YOU RESTORE YOUR CREDIT, NOT MAKE IT WORSE!!!??? I mean come on. I told her about this website... no site name given of course, but I told her that theres A LOT of people that are out for blood with this company and I am NOT going the route she was offering, so I told her to give me the number to someone that can take the 35 plus other fees off my NEXT BILL DUE SO i WASN'T PAYING THE 97.00 and she put me on hold and said that she conveniently found someone in her office that COULD IN FACT get that amount dropped! 5 minutes before she said there wasn't anyone at that BUILDING IN DELAWARE that had that power, but she somehow found one??? So in all I got the late fee taken off my balance that they purposely added, throwing me over the limit,(but never got charged a over limit fee) and my monthly amount back down to where it was supposed to be. I have ALWAYS paid double or triple of whats due every month, and theres NO WAY I'm going to let a sloppy, immature company try to screw me over. I was raised to stand up for myself and I wont let people like that push me around!!

Comments

• Cu
      27th of Jun, 2008
    Continental Finance - Rip off
    Continental Finance
    www.continentalfinance.net

I got continental finance credit card. I went to activate it and the lady asked me if i wanted to make my first payment of 50 dollars, then she said i had a 300 dollar activation charge left me with 70 dollars. Now, when I try to call them, they charge me 40 cents to 4 dollars. A call i turned them into the bbb and I see what happens please no one should get card, this company needs to be shut down my credit is in jepordy over this company. They will not take my debit card over the phone, they want it out of my checking account. What the difference, my debit card is the same as my checking.