Clearwire / Won't cancel service and submits us to debt collector

1 VA, United States Review updated:

Please pass this on. Clearwire must suffer the consequences of their nasty, dirty and disgusting actions. Please pass this on to as many people as you can - don't let anyone ever fall into their trap again!

We were Clearwire customers for 4-5 months when suddenly due to my husband's job we had to move out of state. The state we moved to did not offer Clearwire service so we wanted to cancel. We indicated that we'll pay the 200-something discontinuation fee.

Well it was not good for 'em. First, they grilled us for over an hour over the phone, trying to talk us into keeping the service. It was no use trying to explain that we are moving out of their service range. (I might here add that we've never had problems with their service so we were indeed sad -at that point- that we no longer are going to be able to surf the net through them.)
They tried to talk us into selling the account to someone we know. We asked friends and family but nobody wanted it. So we went on calling them again letting them know that we will just have to discontinue.
Then they tried to force us to put the account up on Craiglist for the new state we moved into, since one city here offers Clearwire services. (not the one we moved to.)
We told them we absolutely have no time to deal with this and selling the service is NOT our job. All we want is to discontinue the service.
Well - they simply refused. This above back and forth game about selling the account to friends/selling it on Craiglist went on for weeks. In the meantime we've had to move and FINALLY, just a day before our relocation they agreed to send the mail-in sticker (that's required for sending the modem back to them.) They knew our new address too, by the way.

Well, nothing happened. We tried to contact them to no avail. The sticker would not arrive for weeks/months.

FINALLY it arrived. Immediately, a day after the sticker arrived we've got a VERY nasty phone call from a Clearwire agent stating that since we are withholding the modem and refusing to send it back, they'll have to charge us extra.
I then explained to him that we've been begging for this darn sticker for MONTHS now and it just arrived a day or two before at most WHILE I was in the hospital having an unexpected, emergency surgery, hence forth why we haven't gotten it done immediately.

We mailed the modem out after this right away, and we were waiting for our bill to show up to pay the discontinuation fees.

Well that never came...instead of that what came was massive amounts of automated phone calls from [protected].
It was Clearwire's collections stating that we don't only owe the discontinuation fees but ALSO the monthly fees for the past several months. (which they couldn't collect through our bank account since we shut down our old bank account and created a new one - the old bank is not operating here in this state where we moved.)
We tried -several times!!!- to explain to them that we are more than happy to pay the discontinuation fees if they send a bill about that but we are NOT going to pay for the past few months when we clearly wanted to discontinue our service and they blatantly refused to do so.
They wanted to sweettalk us into paying the discontinuation fees over the phone. Nop...I don't think so. We've seen other complaints since then online talking about overcharging people over the phone.

The phone call's won't stop. Day or night, ten times a day if needed. We begged, asked, yelled, talked to supervisors to no avail. We just want to pay our discontinuation fees BUT WE REFUSE to pay monthly charges since they refused to discontinue our service AND we mailed back the modem as well. They always say that they will be galiant and "forgive" the monthly charges to us if we pay the discontinuation fees over the phone. DON'T anyone ever do that. They'll overcharge you and break their word.
They BLATANTLY refuse to send a paper bill.

Now they handed over our case to another collection company which is now calling us several times a day as well.

If anyone -or their neighbor- considers getting Clearwire PLEASE tell them the true story. The part of the true story is that the net service was indeed GOOD. HOWEVER NEVER EVER EVER in a million years sign up just for that. This is one of the biggest scums of recent times. I also think that us, people who got hurt by them (and being harrassed privately in our homes for money we don't owe or for bad things we have not done) should join and DO SOMETHING to tear this horrible company down. Anyone???????????

Thanks for reading and don't forget to pass it on.

Comments

• De
      13th of Apr, 2007
    Clearwire - ClearWire calling me 2-3 times a day

I tried to change my account with this company and they could not because I did not have my 3 digit security code on the back because the credit card I originally used became inactive. My bank could not give my security pin over the phone so they had to send me a new one. ClearWire tried to run my credit card 3 times which I told them would be inactive. They have called me twice a day to get my account number, and I told them repeatedly I would call them when I got my security pin from my bank, and they had documentation of this. So I can understand them calling me, somewhat harassing but, nonetheless, calling me everyday. Then I called them and updated and it went through.

Here I am sitting at work and I recognize their number- ( they were just calling and not leaving a message) so I call them and say what's the problem, I just called you with my new account number? They said oh we tried running your card so we have 3 failed attempts and they are backlogged. This is harassment, you keep calling me and I gave you the information, he said he was sorry, but I really don't appreciate being called everyday when I told them this. This is very upsetting.

20th of Apr, 2007
    Clearwire - Scam business practices!

I have been a clearwire customer for 18 mo now. Their service no always reliable but i suck with it. When i sign up i was told that i had a 1 year contract. There was no paperwork involved just a screen where you can click on the "i agree to terms". In fact back then they did not even have a "print this page" option and you you could not just print the screen shot because in was a small window with the fine print and it was scrolling.

Any ways 2 months ago i switched my phone system to a voip system (voice over internet protocol) and it was not working properly. The reason was because clearwire blocks their ports on purpose so that you use their own property viop service. They said that they could not unblock them. After repeated attempts with their tech support a was told that their was nothing they can do. So because i was already 18 months into my one year contract i decided to cancel. I was told that i would have to pay an early cancellation fee because the one year contract automatically renews ever year. So i told them that it is essentially a infinity year contract then. They were very unhelpful even the managers. They would not return the call like they promised and they where down right rude.

Even though i canceled service with them they would not sent me a shipping label like they had promised so that i could send back the modem. So i took the modem back to the local office and they also refused it. I called the local office and the manager said he would take it if i bought it back to him personally. So i did. Meanwhile clearwire's would continue to call me up to 3 time a day even though a asked them to stop calling me. Then a 3rd parting billing company started calling 2 times a day even though i asked them to stop calling me. I asked them to send be a bill and they said that they do not offer that service and that all billing is paid with credit cards only. They continue to bill my credit card even two months after i returned the modem and i am not even using their service. I have had to start an investigation process with my credit card company to get that money back. I think this type of business practice is a scam... I will never use their service again.

22nd of Apr, 2007
    Clearwire - Clearwire deceiving investors

Although the complaint board typically holds complaints about speedyness of service, or unfair billing practices, my complaint is that CLEARWIRE, Corp has deceived their investors, people that took their hard earned money and bought stock in Clearwire based on past performances of Craig McCaw (the founder)

Clearwire is point blank lying to investors like myself about subscriber growth and churn (that's when they loose a customer) they are hiding their churn in a category called "Pullback" that they don't need to report to Wall Street so people buy more shares of Clearwire stock based on inflated numbers. I would consider this to be fraud, wouldn't you? On Friday clearwire reported 52,000 new subscribers on a churn percentage of 1.6 after reviewing the numbers myself their actual churn percentage is 5.84%

Hopefully someone will stop them from all the lies, be honest with yourselves Clearwire is not as far along in the development process as they'd like now are ya.

22nd of Apr, 2007

Sorry to hear about your Bad customer experience. They have to lie and cheat their customers with their unfair practices just to keep their subscriber counts up for their investors.

• Pe
      16th of May, 2007
    Clearwire - ClearWire scammed my credit card!

I signed up for clearwire in Killeen Texas. I could not connect most of the time. I paid to have computer looked at and was told it was my internet connection at clearwire. When I called to cancel my clearwire they took money off my credit card. Clearwire is a poorly run internet service and they are crooks.

18th of May, 2007
    Clearwire - They have stolen money from my visa!

I never gave clearwire permission to use my visa. They stole money off my credit card. I signed up for clearwire and it was worse then aol, so i canceled it. Email me if you are thinking about wasting your money on clearwire. I had to cancel my visa and get a new one. I called the state attorney general and made a complaint.

• Be
      30th of May, 2007

I agree with you pete clear wire worked for a total of two months to the best of its ability but not mine so i let my son use it for his online gaming (x_box) after that it worked for a total of four more months thank god when i signed up they only had a year contract now i hear its two but after a year they resigned my contract without my consent or john handcock and i had to fight like hell to get out of it. Finally i got out only having to pay the 12 th month fees that were given to me free for the year service. I felt i shouldn't have to pay that but felt like i was getting out lucky. Well thats what i thought untill they called me today to tell me i owe them money WOW I'm heated in very nice words these clearwire people are ripping me off thank god again that they cant charged my credit card for these only because i lost it the numbers don't match someone needs to shut them down they a waste of money they are vampires.

12th of Jul, 2007

I ran into the exact same issue. I paid the activation fee and it was a year and a month later that my download speed dropped to 200k/s. I called their TS group and they said they were sorry but traffic in my area was so high that everyone would have to live with the slower dl speeds until they could install another tower. When I tried to cancel, they told me that I was locked into a contract. I told them that I paid the activation fee so that I could be month to month and cancel at any time. They told me that that only got me out of a 2 year contract. And that every customer is always locked into a 1 year contract that renews every year. The only way to cancel is to hit the 30 day window 30 days before your anniversary date and then you could cancel.

CLEARWIRE is very unethical, and their service is very poor. Customer service is even worse.

BUYER BEWARE!!

• Za
      13th of Jul, 2007

I'm military and When I was deployed they told me that I would have to pay a 49$ fee to suspend and a $10 a month fee all at once for the time I was deployed... I'm now in a new apartment... and My service is 3 bars if I stick it out the window...... I'm gonna change my credit card number... and cancel my service... go back to comcast. When they call me I'll tell them they can have there modem back but because my service sucked I'm not paying anything else except I will send them a check for the last month of service..

• St
      9th of Aug, 2007
    Clearwire - Poor service!
    ClearWire

I think Best Buy should be just as culpable for this Clearwire service sham as Clearwire itself. After all, it was while I was at Best Buy that I made this terrible decision to sign up for their service. However, I just presumed if Best Buy was behind it, it must be okay.

Wrong!!!

Like all these other folks who have written about their negative experiences, I too have lived every episode; the most memorable being when I called in to cancel and refused to talk to the retention department. The short end of a long story is I got nearly $500 charged to my Visa.

They said I didn't follow the procedures - I told them, I never got a THING in writing - that I wasn't paying another dime for a service that didn't work. They simply charged my visa on file - another stupid move on my part to not have canceled the card.

Lest we forget the 'technician' that came in and put the hustle on us with some bs about how the fact I had to put their stupid modem in my daughter's bedroom window and plug these gawdy clear plugs in my outlets was only temporary since they were building towers all over my area.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get away from these rude amateurs who can't provide anything that even resembles dependable internet service. I am an adult and I am responsible for my actions, as stupid as they were in signing up for Clearwire. However, I would have NEVER given them the time of day if Best Buy hadn't been involved as the shiv who set me up.

Yoohoo, Best Buy?? You'll be hearing from me soon about this...

• Br
      9th of Oct, 2007
    Clearwire - Cheating customers with no support!

I myself have been working on getting out of a contract with Clearwire that I did not agree to. My salesman signed us up without telling us anything about a contract. He said that if we were dissatisfied we could cancel at anytime. But that is not the case. I am working with a number of people that have also been mistreated by Clearwire's Internet service. We are working on filing a class action against the company. If you are interested in participating, please let me know. There are so many of us that have been abused by this company and many that are still signing up that will be cheated in the future.

Thank you!

• Ko
      1st of Nov, 2007

I sponsored a petition for Clearwire to waive termination fees to unsatisfied customers. Please sign and forward if you support.

• Ye
      6th of Nov, 2007
    Clearwire - Unethical sales and unreliable connection!

I spoke with the Clearwire sales person in April of 2017. I specifically asked if Clearwire's quality of service had been improved to the point I could use Vonage (VOIP). She assured me "all the kinks with working with Vonage" were worked out and I could cancel if its not working during the initial 2 weeks. I also asked for the shortest possible contract since I didn't want a 1 year commitment since I had heard bad stories about Clearwire from others in the area.

My complaint is that Clearwire was never reliable enough to use my Vonage phone but technicians and sales representatives were always willing to "work with me" to address the issue. However, I realized (well after 2 week trial period) the technicians and phone representatives were probably well trained on what to say to keep customers from cancelling... mainly the tactic is to keep you hanging by promising better service by adjusting the ports and settings for the modem. They will do this for as many months as you keep trying to get it working but in essence, there are only a few real things they can do. The bottom line is the service was so unreliable I could only use it to check email and web browsing. I had to get another internet service to use my phone. Clearwire cancelation specialists tell me there is a $220 cancellation fee (somehow they had signed me up for a 2 year contract when I wanted the shortest one). I know what Clearwire did/does is unethical but it also seems it must be illegal. Time will tell if they get what they deserve.

• Ro
      21st of Nov, 2007

I canceled my account after the one year contract. They sent me an email saying that my account was closed and I should not receive any further bills. They then proceeded to take a months service charge (even though I did not have the modem any longer) and an additional 200 (for what I don't know) from my visa. They won't return calls or emails.

I live in Ireland, could anyone tell me what are my next steps to recover my money.

• Cl
      30th of Nov, 2007
    Clearwire - A 5 month Clearwire headache!
    Clearwire

I have had an enormous Clearwire headache for almost 5 months now. I decided to "Google" Clearwire complaints to see if I might be "crazy", and I was quite surprised at the magnitude of complaints!

I signed up for a year contract while living in Seattle and used the service with no problems for about 8 months. Upon moving out of the Seattle-area, I attempted to transfer the remainder of my contract to a family member. It was explained to me by Clearwire customer service that me and the person I was transferring the contract to, needed to both fill out a transfer of contract form and fax it back to the company. No problem. We did this. I was then surprised the following month to see a charge on my credit card for Clearwire. When I called the company to "clear" things up, I was passed around to no fewer than 3 representatives, then told to call back on Monday (it was a Saturday I believe) when I had to speak with another department. I called back on Monday to which I was asked to have the form filled out AGAIN and re-faxed. Allegedly we had not filled out the form correctly. At this point I was quite annoyed, especially because no one had contacted me from Clearwire to let me know the form was not filled out correctly.

Long story short, we did re-fax the form and I assumed all was well. I was AGAIN charged the following month for Clearwire. SURPRISE! I called the CS department to which I finally spoke with a semi-intelligent sounding representative who empathized with my situation and took full responsibility for the situation stating that Clearwire had "dropped the ball" and not switched the account over upon receiving the form. This gentleman did refund my charges for the month, but then stated that policy had changed and they would need to speak on the phone with the person who was assuming responsibility for the account. I gave them the phone number of the person who was taking over the account, but explained that it might be hard to get a hold of him because of his work schedule. I told the representative to follow-up with me either way. He promised me he would. Being that I was busy with life, I forgot about this situation, which was probably my fault, but to no surprise, I was NEVER followed-up with, and I noticed that my credit card was again charged for the month which I had been refunded for and then was again charged the following week for the next month.

At this point I knew the contract was up so I called to cancel. I was told by the cancellation department that the account was canceled and that they would e-mail me a UPS label to send back the modem, free of charge. Upon receiving the e-mail, there was some type of error and the UPS web site kept saying that the label code was invalid. I AGAIN contacted CS at Clearwire, which the representative tried to insinuate that there was something wrong with my computer and/or e-mail account. I explained to the woman that I am computer-literate and that the error was on the part of UPS. She assured me that she would e-mail me another UPS label within several days. SURPRISE! I waited a week and NO e-mail. Within that time-frame, I noticed ANOTHER Clearwire charge... for a service that had been allegedly canceled!!! I called Clearwire immediately to find out just what is going on. The representative I spoke with today told me that I would continue to be charged until I send the modem back. I explained to him that I have called twice to get a code, that the account should be CANCELED and that I am not even using the service. He again stated that he cannot refund me anything (to which I pointed out is not true since I had been refunded, then re-charged 2 months before) and he then placed me on extended hold twice when I asked to speak with a supervisor. He finally told me that he would have a supervisor "call me back at their convenience". I stated that I wanted another label e-mailed to me immediately and someone to follow-up with me today. Well, that was yesterday. No label, no phone call.

At this rate, all I can do is cancel my card and dispute the charges since they refuse to follow-up with me. I am not some nincompoop who didn't read the contract or terms of service. I fulfilled my obligations to Clearwire and used the service with no problems, but now I have been put through the ringer by their "Customer Service" for the past 5 months. Also, this has cost me countless cell phone minutes, calling, being placed on hold, etc. I will be back in Seattle for the holidays and I am probably going to be forced to drive to their Kirkland headquarters and drop the damn modem off that way. I am beyond livid!!!

2nd of Dec, 2007

Clearwire no longer blocks any voip ports, and in the past, all that you had to do was request the port be opened and it was within 72 hrs. So, your comment about them saying they couldn't do it is complete bull ###. If you are going to complain, fine, but at least tell the truth.

12th of Dec, 2007
    Clearwire - They are ripping people off!
    Clearwire / Circuit City
    Turlock
    Alaska
    Phone: 209-614-4174

Purchased a computer from Circuit City, They talked us into Clearwire Service for internet. We hooked it up probably 2 weeks after purchase and could never get service. Called clearwire and they gave us a bad time would not cancel us and said they would charge us $230.00 cancellation fee. Said that we needed to cancel within 7 days of purchase (which circuit city said we had 7 days to see if we liked it) not that if we couldn't get service they would not cancel us. They were rude and said that that is just the way it is. They are scamming the public with a service that is not up to standards.

16th of Dec, 2007

I agree. Clearwire is a total sham of an isp. But sir, I'm sorry, but you're just a fool if you'd go through with ANYTHINH just because Best Buy was behind it. A fool that I pity.

• Am
      7th of Jan, 2008
    Clearwire - Wont let us cancel!!!
    Clearwire
    Texas

We were moving and did not want to continue with their SLOW service. We had completed our contract and not renewed so it should not have been a problem. When we called we were informed that they had sent us a letter reminding us of the renewal...they had NOT...but they said even so they are allowed to "just renew". Today my husband called to cancel because we are up for renewal on March 1st and was told that we had to call 30 days out. Obviously it is almost 2 months out right now but they said he has to call back EXACTLY 30 days out or pay $180 fee. These people are crazy. I am searching for the right agency to file a complaint with. DO NOT DO BUSINES WITH THEM- SLOW, EXPENSIVE & DECEITFUL!!!

14th of Jan, 2008
    Clearwire - Service and business practices!
    ClearWire
    Phone: 602-614-5235

I only wish I would have looked this company up before I signed up!

I signed up about a year ago and everything worked fine. For some reason about 6 months after I signed I would get spotty service no matter were I had the modem. After calling the "tech support" too many times to count, with no avail, I finally went with cable. There "tech support" assisted of moving the modem to different parts of the house and/or rotating the modem to "find" the best signal. They finally told me that my modem was tower jumping and that is why I would have signal for awhile then it would disconnect for awhile. I then asked what I could do to stop the modem from jumping and they said try to isolate it from the other towers, so basically nothing. I finally asked to have somebody come out to my house and trouble shot but they would not send anybody out because, by the end of the call, the Internet would work. Problem was that it would only work for 5-10 minutes and stop working again. Then there went another 30 minutes or longer with tech support. I also have screen shots of a speed test and I am getting less then half the guaranteed speed.

Now, because I found a reliable Internet connection, they do not want to cancel my account. They want me to find someone else to take over the account or charge me a fee to cancel. Talking to the cancellation department, which was overly loud with other dissatisfied customers, they are now willing to send someone out to take a look at it. I don't see how I should be held to my end of the agreement if the service was not provided like they said it would. It's too bad I found this website too late!

Good luck to anybody having to deal with Clearwire!