Classic Holidays / cancelation and return of money

1 Queensland, Australia Review updated:

I sent the below email, to classis escapes complaints on 20/9/13

To Whom it may concern,
We wish to cancel our membership with Classic Holidays.

We have tried to use this on a few occasions and have been very disappointed with the service.

We tried to book some accommodation for family members who were coming to visit us when we got married, I emailed 3 times to info@classic.com.au and also to the consultant at the Townsville branch who advised the message was forwarded and no one bothered to get back to me!!

I had to call them and enquire only to find out that the rooms I required were no longer available!!! Yet they were when I originally sent the email as I checked with the hotel first!

On another occasion, we were trying to book accommodation for our honeymoon in Cairns and it was cheaper and we got more value by booking online direct with the hotel we were staying at. I was advised by the consultant on the phone that I should go online to look at the accommodation when I asked how much it was going to be and she couldn't give me an answer! I understand that looking at the website once she had given me the login details that it would be better to see which hotel was how much, but we got a better rate by booking it through the hotel directly

We wish to cancel this membership and all moneys paid be refunded!

We will not be continuing with this as we were promised things that you just cant seem to deliver! We were advised that we would get membership cards in the mail, however I was recently advised that that no longer happens, we were not given any membership account details to log in to the website as well.

We also tried to use some of the 16, 500 points we have on the account and it turns out this is only for week long stays and not individual nights you are required to pay, this information was not provided to us upon signing up with this service

We have paid about half of the 10 years that you pushed for and would like all money returned!!

On Behalf on myself and my husband David, we would like our money returned and our membership cancelled as we DO NOT wish to continue with this service!!

*****IN RETURN EMAIL WE GOT THE BELOW AFTER NO BEING CONTACTED BY THE PERSON HANDLING THE COMPLAINT*****

From: Leonie Vanderkley (Leonie.Vanderkley@ClassicHolidays.com.au) Your junk email filter is set to exclusive.
Sent: Friday, 11 October 2013 5:18:54 PM
To: miss_emma16@hotmail.com (miss_emma16@hotmail.com)

Ms E Beeton and Mr D Smith
Email: miss_emma16@hotmail.com
REF: CCL-700
Dear Ms Beeton and Mr Smith
RE: CLASSIC ESCAPES MEMBERSHIP
We refer to your email dated 20 September 2013 in relation to your Classic Escapes membership. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. It is only with good communication that we can resolve any issues.
We do regret that you have not been completely satisfied with your decision to purchase a Classic Escapes Membership and that you feel that our product has been misrepresented to you. Please be assured that we strive to set up our sales presentations in such a way as to ensure all applicants receive full disclosure of the risks and benefits of joining the Club and to ensure the least possible risk of misleading information being provided. Guests are provided with a general overview of what is available to them as a member of the Classic Holiday Club and are given an idea of what could be achieved by using the Escapes membership. We do regret if you feel that you have been misinformed.
In relation to your comments that you tried to book accommodation for family members who were coming to visit you and you emailed three times to info@classic.com.au we advise that this email address is an invalid email address and this is why we never received it and were unable to reply to your email. We note your advice that you sent the email to the Consultant at our Townsville Office who advised that it was forwarded to our office; unfortunately we did not receive any email from our Townsville Office in relation to a request for accommodation from you. We do apologise for any inconvenience caused in relation to this issue.
Regarding your comments that you the rooms you required were originally available as you had checked with the hotel first, we would like to clarify that whilst the hotel may have had availability, there is no guarantee that our suppliers would have had the same availability as the hotels only provide suppliers with a certain amount of stock of available accommodation.
We note you advise that when ringing our office to book accommodation for your honeymoon our Consultant advised you to look online, our Consultant advised you to look for accommodation options through our member’s exclusive website the World Online and we advise that as this is our member’s exclusive website not all our Consultants have access to this website and accordingly this is why she could not provide you with a cost for your required accommodation.
Page 2
We also note your advice that you received a better rate by booking your accommodation through the hotel directly however we note you have not provided us with quotes from the hotel or our website to enable us to compare any difference in the prices of each quote.
In relation to the use of your points for accommodation bookings, we do advise that the only accommodation you are unable to utilise your points for are bookings made for bonus or bonus plus week accommodation and accommodation booked through the World online site.
We do not believe that our Authorised Representatives intentionally misrepresented the product to you at point of sale nor do we believe there are grounds for cancellation of your membership. The Product Disclosure Statement (‘PDS’) was provided to you during the sales presentation to ensure all of the product information was clearly disclosed to you. This document explains how the product works, discloses details of Club properties and exchange affiliations, and provides information on our company and the risks & benefits of joining the Club. The PDS is issued to all applicants so that they can make an informed decision. You also signed the ‘Members Declaration of Acknowledgement’ which highlights key information – including details on the Points & Play membership - thus confirming that you felt that everything was adequately explained to you at the point of purchase. If you are not satisfied with the handling of this complaint please refer to the PDS for more information on your rights.
We note that our Customer Service Specialist spoke to you on 29 September 2013 and offered to walk you through our website and explain the many benefits of your membership and we do suggest you contact one of our Customer Service Specialists and they will be able to assist you with your accommodation bookings and any information you may require concerning your membership.
We thank you for taking the time to put your comments in writing as your feedback is very important to us. Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Yours faithfully
Leonie Vanderkley
Complaints Resolution Specialist
On behalf of the Complaints Handling Officer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As in this letter we did not provide evidence of quotes as they were no asked for

We do not have any documentation regarding the cooling off period apart from a list of items where it has listed in there that there is a cooling off period...and seriously, if we knew that the cooling off period was so short for a 10 year contract we would not have taken this up

Also they had a mountain of paperwork thrown at us to sign one after the other and we were told it was short and, , , , , , um No it was NOT

They also caught us on the street and threw these scratch things in our face saying "scratch these and we will give you a $200 Myer gift card", then we scratched a prize holiday to Fiji and this was on the terms that we signed an agreement and pay $50 on the street to confirm out booking with a consultant to attend their "workshop" to be shown how this scam works...In fact, we did not see either of these but given "POINTS" to use instead, and when we tried to redeem these, we were advised on the website this is for week long stays only

Also the complaints consultant did NOT call us directly!!! How can you get information or deal directly with a complaint if you don't contact the person!!!

Could you please help us?? We would like all our money returned as we have paid $5500 for the $11, 5000 and I called to cancel this and they CAN NOT refuse to cancel this

Mi
Oct 16, 2013

Comments

• We
      4th of Aug, 2014

BE AWARE!!...we were silly enough to be tricked into joining too. Don't do it, we should have read the paperwork but didn't. It is a hard lesson to learn. Read everything, even when the sales person is rushing you past it. SAVE your $$$$ We joined in 2010 and have reaped nothing from being involved except yearly maintenance fees.

• Fr
      31st of Aug, 2014

What a complete con.
    We pleaded with them that all their resorts accommodated 5 people.
    This is not true. We have to use all our points and pay extra for another room.
    We home school so are available to holiday all year round. Even wit this benefit, we are unable
    to book any accommodation that is easily available.
    Great big con.
    My only satisfaction is that these companies and their lying staff members will one day be held accountable before our Holy Lord and savour one day...soon!

• Th
      28th of Sep, 2014

Sorry about your experience. I have never used any of their service and wanted a full refund and membership cancellation. We are fighting this case well over an year now FSCL was very biased. Disputes tribunal is our only hope.I have found a few loopholes in their PDS and their marketing. We hope to see it through!

• Br
      11th of Mar, 2016

Hello,
    May I ask if anyone has managed to get out of paying for this scam? Surely, as they cannot supply cheaper accommodation, as per their marketing promise, this can't be legal and there should be a way of getting out of it? We've had the exact same problems as people here - in fact, I specifically asked if there was a cooling off period and they said no.

• Ta
      1st of Jun, 2017

Hi, I've recently had to deal with this company on behalf on a friend and I was able to successfully cancel the contract/s for them. It was a long and complex process through the (Australian) Financial Ombudsman Service, but it is possible with the right legal arguments. I argued against it on several fronts including, 'misleading and deceptive conduct', 'unconscionable conduct', unlawful cooling-off statement and unlawful statement of advice. In the end, the FOS forced them to come to party and cancel the contracts as it was leaning in our favour anyway. The details of the argument are complex and they were specifically related to my friend's situation. However, given what I've heard from others who have membership with this company, a lot of their issues seem to be consistent. This company treated my friend very poorly. The level of financial and emotional stress that was put on her, and the attitude with which the company conducted themselves when issues were raised, is the reason why I'm willing to help others get out of these contracts if they need. I obviously can't provide legal advice and I wouldn't have the time to look at specific situations, but I'm happy to share a summary of the arguments I used and hopefully they may be able to help you. Feel free to email me at talamur@gmail.com.

• Li
      26th of Sep, 2017

@Tal56 Hi Tal56, I am in the same situation trying to cancel my membership. Submitted a complaint last July 26, 2017, but nobody contacted me yet . Instead they e-mailed me and reminder notice of Account overdue. I stopped paying them since last July 2017. I wasn't even asking for a refund of my money that I have given them already. All I want is to get out of it. In two years time I paid them more than $7000 including membership fees . Can you please help me on who to approach to resolve my problem .

Thanks LB

• Ro
      13th of Oct, 2017

@Tal56 Hi tal 56. We were slammed as well and want a full refund as well we joined in 2013 and has been a nightmare ever since so any info you could supply to get out would be fantastic there are a lot of us out here trying to do the same thing thank you

• Er
      22nd of Jun, 2018

@Tal56 Hi Tal I and my partner are trying also to get out of this low life company and would love to know how to do this.
    We currently owe over $4, 000 just in points management fees which we just cannot pay as our business is in financial difficulty mainly because of council rezoning issues and it looks like we will lose our business because of it so we have nothing left after 10 years and these [censored] just dont give a [censored] both classic and the council.
    so any help would be greatly appreciated

• Ln
      22nd of Jun, 2017

Hi Tal5, your post gives hope. This company needs to be stopped. We are in the same boat right now. Willing to hear more

• M9
      26th of Jul, 2017

I'm going through the same exact problem don't trust these people I'm trying to cancel our membership and they telling us there is no cancellation on any ground how is that possible every company has cancelation or cancelation fees... and especially Leonie Vanderkley, i think she's the pirate of this money hungry organisation. she was so rude to me over the phone when i asked to speak to her as she was the one that was dealing with us from the beginning, she refused to cancel our membership that we haven't even been able to use, they fooled us with their misleading informations and empty promises. i have experience the worst customer service from her and we also emailed her to cancel this membership a month ago and she replied with the same email that she send to emma and her husband david. and the same reason why we joined this company is because they threw this scratcher at us at the easter show, we scratched it and won a prize holiday to fiji and thats when we agreed to go to the meeting in parramatta. when we went their they pilled a mountain of paperwork to sign and they didn't even mention nothing about the cancelation terms... I'm taking this further and I'm not going to rest until this scam company go down.

21st of Nov, 2017

@m99 Hi have you been able to cancel your membership?

• He
      7th of Aug, 2017

i already sign with them them, i m still in the cooling off period, what'wrong with the services they provide???

• Bi
      8th of Sep, 2017

We have just signed for the Discovery Platinum Membership and are still in the cooling-off period. I am trying to cancel our membership too and it is hard to find contact details of where to send the cancellation notice. We weren't told anything about the cancellation and were given no PDS. Since we signed and re read our agreement we find there are extra costs involved. Our deal included a 241 cruise deal and I know others have found it difficult to make a cruise booking suitable for their holiday time.
    Thanks
    Bitten

• Aj
      10th of Sep, 2017

@Bitten again Bitten again
    GET OUT ! GET OUT NOW !!! The services are not what was promised.

• Bi
      10th of Sep, 2017

@AJH67 Sent an email to cancel and will follow up on my request tomorrow. Thanks AJH67

21st of Nov, 2017

If anyone wants to know how to cancel membership with Classic rip offs I'm happy to share with you no worries, contact me via email. marlz_z@hotmail.com

22nd of Nov, 2017

Anyone interested in taking class action against Classic Holidays? If you are let me know
    marlz_z@hotmail.com

• Ti
      21st of Mar, 2018

@AccountKiller3 Yes we are we have been trying to find options on how to get out of it but dont know what to if anyone has been able to get out can you please help??

21st of Mar, 2018

@Tine22 Please email me

• Va
      5th of Jul, 2018

@AccountKiller3 Would like to join this class action please.

• Go
      2nd of May, 2018

Don't touch this company/scam with a 10ft barge pole.
    I can't/they won't even let me pay out the yearly fee eg: pay the fee total for the length of contract. They reckon we dont know how much the fees will be from year to year. They don't want to know about it. We're locked in apparently till 2032 😨😨😨😨😨 geez I might be dead by then. I need to get this canceled I'm not looking for refund I just want out of this nightmare.

4th of May, 2018

@Goldie33 Please send me a email marlz_z@hotmail.com

• Sh
      12th of May, 2018

Please send me an email marlz_z@hotmail.com we are desperate to get out of this scam!

• Co
      25th of Jun, 2018

Hi my husband and I have almost completely paid for the loan for this but our membership goes until 2031 and we have yet to use any of the membership plus if we want the points and play again we have to pay more, we would like to cancel our membership as it is not helpful to us

• Gl
      5th of Jul, 2018

Hi my wife and I have paid for the membership in full and have not used it once since we purchased it 5 or so years ago. We did try to get our membership canceled without getting our money back but they refused. Our daughter is a special needs child in which I did mention to them and we have a lot of expenses due to this in which is why we joined for they promised 1 week stays at their accommodation locations for the price of 1 night which was a lie in itself. All we want is to get out of the contract and they can keep our money the penny pinches that they are karma will get them in their lifetime. If you have any way for us to get out of the contract please let us know it would be greatly appreciated.

8th of Jul, 2018

Hi please i wanted to cancel our membership as well. We have sudden changed financially and cancelling our memebership will really help to ease bit our financial issues. Please help appreciate your insight and input on how to do this. Thanks