CIC Triple Advantage / Unauthorized billing!

This isn't a complaint against the company, I'm just giving out information to everyone that's going to complain on the company. I've dealt with FreeCreditReport.com before and have NEVER had any trouble with the website, nor have I been billed. All I had to do was READ THE WEBSITE. If you go onto FreeCreditReport.com before you even put your name in to get the report it says the following:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

ConsumerInfo.com and Freecreditreport.com are not affiliated with the annual free credit report program. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to www.annualcreditreport.com."

So... they're already letting you know you have 30 days to cancel the membership you're joining. Just in case you don't catch that one, right after you put in your credit card number it also says this:

"Payment Information:

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 30-day trial period, you will be billed $12.95 for each month that you continue your membership. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel at any time to discontinue the membership and stop the monthly billing; however, you will not be eligible for a pro-rated refund of your current month's paid membership fee. "

So... it LITERALLY tells you "Hey, if you don't cancel, you'll be billed for our monitoring service, but if you cancel you won't be billed." Now if you want to cancel... it's quite a simple process. You go to FreeCreditReport.com and click on the button that says "CONTACT US." And when you click there, lo and behold it says : "CANCEL MEMBERSHIP. If you would like to cancel your membership, for your security, please call our toll-free number at [protected]."

So, if you people who are complaining about the site would actually take a second to read the words on there other than "FREE" you'd know why you're being billed. Also, I don't know if it's just my personal common sense, but any time a company says something is "FREE" and they ask for any type of PAYMENT INFORMATION I backtrack and re-read the website. Just a tip for all of you who plan to launch a complaint on CIC/Triple Advantage.

Ad

Comments

• Dm
      13th of Oct, 2007

I was able to get out using the number someone else gave in a previous comment... 877-481-6825. Turns out I agreed to this when I requested a free credit report through Experian's website - freecreditreport.com.

I cannot stand this type of aggressive marketing and it borderlines unethical. Experian now has, what I believe to be a purposely difficult website to maneuver with freecreditreprot.com. Each page takes me to another link or website with marketing scams trying to sell me more services.

• Ad
      6th of Nov, 2007

To J0hn Westerdale --
    It's not deception. All of the information is on the website, it's plain to see.

CIC*Triple Advantage is FreeCreditReport.com, Triple Advantage is the membership you're enrolling in, and CIC stands for ConsumerInfo.com, the company that provides the monitoring

To Laura:
    MiniCreditReport isn't from the same company as Triple Advantage. I believe from what I've read that's through Equifax. If you call the number on the "CANCEL MEMBERSHIP" line they may give you a refund, though in the terms and conditions on the website it says the monthly membership fees aren't refundable, but i'm sure there are exceptions.

To Meli-
    Obviously this is your problem: You didn't read what I said. This is probably the same reason you had the charge on your card, because you didn't read the part that says "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" in all caps on the website. You click on the button that says "How Do I Cancel My Membership?" and lo and behold there lists the number to call!

So basically everyone who is complaining about how they "didn't authorize the charges" you're just playing the victim card when in fact, you just didn't pay attention. And considering you'll put your credit card number into anywhere it asks you to, you might want to sign up for credit monitoring. I'm sure sometime in the near future Amazon.com is going to be taking unauthorized funds out of your account too, right after you click on "Submit Order"

• Je
      19th of Nov, 2007

I never gave my credit card number or bank account number to this company, and yet for the last four months I have been charged 12.95. Not only that but I have been charged overdraft charges for these withdrawals. I have had enough and have contacted my bank to start an investigation on this matter. For anyone else that has been charged wrongfully, contact your bank and inform them of this problem, there are things they can do to help.

• Gi
      26th of Nov, 2007

Have no idea what the $12 charge to my credit card is for. We have not authorized such and never heard of CIC Triple Advantage. Beware people!

• Am
      28th of Nov, 2007

I am a fine print reader, and I think I know where the problem arises, because I had the same one as everyone who has complained about the procedure. I didn't go to "freecreditreport.com" by typing it into my browser--I clicked on a link from a real estate agency while shopping for a home. The link didn't bring me to the home page, where the information is displayed rather blatantly. Through the site I was directed to, after reading all fine print, the company actually said I would not be charged a thing, but my credit card was required to get my report. Which isn't unheard of, as any time you apply for a store card, as in a Best Buy account, they have to swipe your card to make sure your information is correct. It was only after getting my report that I received the email with my "terms of service." As I had already used freecreditreport.com several years ago and had NO problem being signed up for something not advertised on the site that signed me up for the credit report.

If you use the web site directly, you know they're enrolling you in something. If you're directed from any outward site, though, you go straight into the sign up, and NONE of the fine print says anything about your automatic enrollment in Triple Advantage.

I'm canceling my membership as we speak. Let's hope that goes well.

• Ke
      4th of Dec, 2007

I want this account closed, but cannot find a way to do it.

• Ly
      14th of Dec, 2007

Please cancel my membership. I feel that I do not need this service. Thank you anyway.

• Di
      19th of Dec, 2007

Frankly, I did read everything and then canceled my membership well within the 30 days and yet STILL got charged - so that is what upset me and becomes a scam. Don't assume people haven't followed the rules and yet still are being falsely charged.

• Va
      2nd of Jan, 2008

Unauthorized to charge my PayPal account $14.95 on Dec. 30 & $14.95 on Dec. 31st. Never heard of this company. People beware of this scam!

• Br
      13th of Jan, 2008

On the tv commercials,it states that you must join Triple Advantage for a monthly fee.

• Vi
      5th of Feb, 2008

My account was being charged $14.95 ....i did not even check my free credit report for the first time hen i registered as i did not have an access code after i registered as i did change my address....but i went to my old address and found the mail with the access code....but by the time i came back to register with the code my free credit report time was already over so i could not even view my free credit report....and now another crap saying my account has been charged $14.95 towards CIC triple advantage...wht the hell!!!! i was not even given a notice......

this is the worst website i have seen !!!!!

• Wi
      7th of Feb, 2008

I have not received information from this (whatever you call them) company. I get charged $12.95 on my debit card and im wondering if i just close my account if then they can no longer charge me for something?

10th of Feb, 2008

I have been going back and forth since APRIL of 2007 to have these idiots remove charges and refund my CC for over 100.00 for charges I DID not authorize. They keep sending me emails telling me these charges were refunded at cancellation, these charges aren't ours, our records indicate your account has been refunded in full"... I can BULL****! I never authorized ANY money to be debited my CC and every month I get a new charge, and every month I send them a letter, and I get a different response.

From the looks of this complaint site... they seriously could care less and who ever owns this company is turning into another ENRON!

These people are ###!

10th of Feb, 2008

I have been dealing with this idiots since April 2007. I NEVER agreed to having my credit monitored and each month there is a NEW charge..sometimes its 12.00, sometimes its 24.95, sometimes its 20.00. They have told me:

"Your account was refunded in full at cancellation"
    WTF?? I NEVER agreed to a service!!

"your account has been refunded in full and you should see a reflection of such on your next statement"
    Uhm...no, I havent

"these charges are not ours"
    BULLS**t!

Why is it I get a different freakin answer with EACH email I send???

I am no up to over $100 in fradulant charges and I want MY money back!

10th of Feb, 2008

Has anyone else noticed that there is an AD with GOOGLE for these idiots ON THIS PAGE???

Some things never cease to amaze me!

• Ka
      13th of Feb, 2008

I called the toll free number on that appeared on my credit card statement to find out what this charge was. I was told it was some type of insurance. I told them that i had insurance and requested cancellation immediately and to credit my account. 4 months later, i get my card statement and there are 2 charges from cic for 12.95! I called them again, was put on hold for what seemed like forever. Finally i talked to a jason who told me i had an "open" account with them. I explained that i had called 4 months ago to cancel and he told me he had no record of my call. Not surprising! I told him to cancel me pronto and that i was filing a complaint. How can a free credit report cost you 12.95 a month? I am verrry angry.

• Ba
      1st of Mar, 2008

I was able to revue my credit report on line. Now I am being charged a monthly fee for what? It was a one time credit report, I do not need the credit report or protection every month. Now I know I am being scammed but cannot get them top stop billing me.

• Pa
      2nd of Mar, 2008

Free Credit .Com is NOT Free... You realize that you're most likely going to have to pay something for the initial checking of your credit report, but at no time does this rip off company let you know that you will be charged for 12.95 each month. And not only did they charge me 12.95 a month, they also doubled the bill, so I've been getting the shaft for 25.90 each month since July of 2007... I've been charged 154.95 for a FREE credit report.

12th of Mar, 2008

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANGRY!

I was just scammed too. Unfortunately, my credit card company has not been much help. I had hoped they would remove the fraudulent charges and contact the thieves, but they just told me to call the company that scammed me in the first place (CIC - SUPPOSEDLY FREE credit report) to cancel something I never ordered. Why don’t they prosecute these companies who routinely scam people?
    I found the website when I searched for "Experian free yearly credit report". It appeared to be Experian's website and stated "your credit card WILL NOT be charged. The information is only for verification purposes only."
    They did send me a cancellation notice, but refused to refund my money and when I asked for a supervisor, I was hung up on. I will be filing a complaint with the credit card company, as well as the Attorney General's Office.
    Like it or not Adam, this company's practices are OUTRIGHT DECEPTIVE, and there will be hell to pay if they charge me again after I received the email message from them stating they did cancel the account I never ordered in the first place. From what I've read in these posts, I will be cancelling that particular credit card just in case they decided to try and rip me off again.

• Va
      14th of Apr, 2008
    CIC Triple Advantage - Unauthorized billings!
    CIC Triple Advantage
    Irvine
    California
    Phone: 877-481-6826
    www.freecreditreport.com

Very upset that people like me that struggle to live are getting rip off from fraud companies like CIC TRIPLE ADVANTAGE ALSO FREE CREDIT REPORT OT THE OTHER NAME CREDIT REPORT.COM. JUST LIKE OTHERS they have you sign up for a free report then charge your card from your bank account after the free trail. When you go to cancel they really don't and the following month they charge your account again... i have canceled 6 times and they yet to cancel my membership... is there any one out there that can stop these type of fraud companies... maybe dateline could do a story on these companies?