Charter Communications / worst cable service provider

Worst customer service I have ever had to deal with. Appointments scheduled where never scheduled, and constantly being hold by customer service in order for them to repeatedly transfer your call to other incompetent customer service agents. On hold for 30 mins to speak to someone for 3 mins for basic services, such as adding HD or changing basic features. After asking for a basic service, customer service person will put you on hold for 10 mins for each issue you need addressed. Got hung up on when informing them I had multiple problems. I ordered there largest package, and it has been the worst service imaginable. The digital cable looks like I am using "bunny ear" TV antennas for all the basic cable channels (2-40) and premium channels such as HBO, cinemax, etc periodically black out. Customer service including supervisor are not apologetic nor courteous about any of the faulty service provided. Installer was late for appointment without calling when they have a 5 hour window. I could go on and on and I have only had their cable/internet/phone service for a month. All I can say is everyone, please do not get their service. You have to jump through hoops to get anything done, no matter how simple the task may be. For being a large company, their as professional as a bunch of preschoolers. I am canceling immediately and switching to directv or dish network.

An

Comments

• Va
      15th of Jan, 2007

I hope you're collecting these mutual complaints for good use. My Mother in Law was in the Nursing Home for 2 1/2 weeks in April and 3 weeks in Sept and they charged them for a whole two months. I
    had tried to arrange billing to me they didn't do it. Only further upsetting my father n law (who is now
    alone due to the passing of my Mother n Law). Several people, including myself and my father n law
    called to cancel their services. With my call they wouldn't even talk with me about cancelling without
    power of attorney. Other people assisting him called talked with customer service to no avail. They
    turned it over to a collection agency. I have paid them reluctantly, but we are upset they did not work
    with us at all.

I also switched to charter this pass year and took a bundle package, modem and TV HBO, etc. They
    didn't bury the cable for 4 months. I had to call them to come back 3 times to bury it. Every time they
    came they found something wrong with the previous service connection and wouldn't bury it. TV still
    does not come in good and periodically there is no service for local channels due to overload they tell
    me. I will be switching back to Direct TV when I find a modem I can use without a telephone.

15th of Jan, 2007

I must say that Charter Communications has THE WORST customer service I have ever dealt with. Every time I try to do something with my account I cannot get the same answer from any of their customer service reps and it always winds up with a waste of my time, money and a major inconvenience to me. From the time I started service with them I have had problems with one hand not knowing what the other is doing in their company. One tells me Yes you can do this without a problem and then another says no you were given incorrect information. The latest issue was the desire to add a second modem to my service for a second computer. I contacted Charter prior to purchasing the additional modem and was told that it would not be a problem. They told me it would be an additional $4.95 a month to my account if I purchased the modem and installed it myself and all I needed to do was call them with the Mac address for the additional modem so they could requisition it. After purchasing the additional modem and installing it, I called to give them the Mac address and have it requisitioned upon which I was told that I could not do this. They now told me that I needed an additional account for the second account and that I should have purchased a router instead. I told them that I had a router and I had told them that with the first call. In a nut shell Charter Employees have no idea what they are doing and I seriously doubt they could give the same answer from 2 different reps if their life depended on it. If you need to contact Charter for issues, expect to have them make a total and complete mess out of your account or at the very least cause you serious inconvenience and probably a waste of time and money. Personally I feel their customer sales and services is in need of a very serious overhaul. I fail to understand how they even stay in business with the way they treat their customers. If I had been told I needed a second account for an additional modem I would never have purchased it. Now I must go through the embarrassment and hassle of trying to return it and get my money back. I say Thanks to Charter for once again giving yet another customer the shaft due to lack of competence and inability to get their act together. I have lost count of the number of times they have done this to me.

Frank A. Link
    A very unhappy customer of Charter Communications when it comes to trying to get adequate support or answers from their customer service and sales team.

16th of Jan, 2007

My husband and I have contacted Charter Communications several times since upgrading our service, as it has never worked. On three occasions, we have requested a service technician to come out to our house and no one has shown up.

The last occasion, I took time off from work and waited five hours (1-6) for the technician to show up, only to have to call the customer service line and be told to keep waiting.

The customer service agents are unprofessional, rude, and not able to resolve this issue. We have been a year with digital service and only had approximately three weeks of continuous service without issue. WE are currently not receiving the extended channels that we are paying for each month. When I asked to be compensated for this month's service, due to the company's inability to resolve our issue and their negligence in showing up for a schedule appointment, I was told I was being ignorant and that the representative didn't care about my inconvenience.

I have heard several complaints on Charter Communications, but no one seems to be able help with this issue and no one seems to care that Charter is treating their customers so poorly. I have already filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, Clark Howard and my county's commission, what more can I do?

8th of Feb, 2007

I updated to Charter Hi-Def yesterday. The three movie channels would not come in. I spent about 3 hours on the phone with a wide variety of people that I could not understand doing such things as unplugging this and turn off this and God only knows what all to no success.

Get a new cellphone or service:

Finally they decided that I needed a service call (at their convenience of course). As a final effort I decided to call the Charter telephone number for HBO/Cinemax sales. A very polite, understandable and knowledgeable man checked my records and discovered that the person that put in the original order didn't include the movie channels! He put them in and I had the service all within 1 minute. Why couldn't the other 5 people that I talked to have discovered this. Charter needs to learn that lack of good customer service is the main reason that companies self destruct. They are well on their way.

• Cf
      16th of Apr, 2007

Sub: Terrible service

I have been a customer of Charter Communications since 2005. I have had many problems since this time ranging from price increases during an agreement period when I was originally told I would be locked in at a set price for that period to disconnections due to billing errors on behalf of Charter Communications. At one point in December 2006 I had a problem with my bank account where funds in my account were not made available on the date I was told they would be available and my bank returned a check I paid Charter for they're service in the amount of $254.76. As soon as they notified me of the returned payment I immediately made a new payment of the same amount plus the current months bill bringing me to a zero balance. I was disconnected the following day after paying my bill in full and remained disconnected for a week while all the time being told many different excuses ranging from an overdue balance that could never be confirmed, faulty cable box, to area wide outages although all of my neighbors still had service. It took hours of telephone calls to Charter's corporate departments to finally resolve the issue and have my service restored and the outcome was just as suspected. I had no past due balances just as I told them throughout the entire process yet when I received my next bill I had charges for equipment not returned of more than $200.00 which I was told they were charging me for closing my account which I never closed and I again spent many additional hours on the telephone with them to finally have the charges removed from my bill. In January 2007 I received a bill from Charter in the amount of $469.72 which again included the additional charge of $254.76 as well as a returned payment charge of $25.00 so I called to inquire on why this charge was added to my bill a second time and a few days later I was contacted and told after reviewing the records the bill was correct in that aspect but that they had realized I was being over charged for my services and issued a credit for such in the amount of $82.00. I then made a new payment in the amount of $308.95 on March 2, 2007 and 5 days later received a bill for $177.74. On March 21 I contacted Charter in the morning to pay this bill and was told I owed them $509.54 because I had a returned payment in the amount of $254.76. Yes, for the third time the same returned payment was charged to my bill again! I refused to pay the bill and asked them to investigate the matter and they began the process of they're investigation during the same phone call but low and behold the following morning a third party contractor came to my house to disconnect my service again. He was invited in while I called Charter and after an hour of arguing with them again they came to the conclusion there may be a misunderstanding with the bill and the contractor spoke to the Charter rep on the phone and was told to leave our service connected. The contractor left and arrived back 10 minutes later and said he was told to go ahead and disconnect the service and he did so. We immediately called Charter back and while on hold with them not more than 10 minutes later they sent him back a third time and had him reconnect us again. Finally this morning, April 13, 2007 we received a new bill reflecting credits in the amount of $254.76 as well as $25.00 for a returned payment charge and our bill had an amount due of $308.17 so I called them to find out when payment needed to be made and in talking to them realized they were charging me a reconnection fee as well as double charging me for pay per view movies. The representative I was speaking with then issued new credits for these amounts and told me I needed to pay $109.00 by April 20, 2007. This took place around 11:00 this morning. Around 2:00pm this same day another contractor came to my house and disconnected my service again. I have now spent 4 more hours on the phone with numerous employees of Charter and was finally told around 6:00pm the misunderstanding was corrected but even though I was told by many of the employees throughout the hours speaking to them that they had technicians in the field that could reconnect my service until dark which is around 7:00pm at 6:00pm once they corrected they're problem I was told all of the technicians had gone home for the day except for they're emergency technician and they did not consider my case to be an emergency so they have refused to reconnect my service now until tomorrow the 14th of April. Now I am sitting here, a family of 6 including our 3 children with no television, no internet service and no telephone service since our telephone service also works off of our internet connection with the hopes Charter will keep they're word this time and show up tomorrow to reconnect our service. This has been an ongoing nightmare creating an extremely stressful situation for my family and I can almost guarantee when I receive my next bill I will have a new reconnection charge for this fiasco which I will have to again spend an excessive amount of time speaking to Charter representatives to have removed from my bill once again. I have researched Charter Communications many times in the past and found hundreds if not thousands of complaints relating to the same issues and the same terrible service which brings to question, how can a company such as this be allowed to continue operating by any authorities that may have the rights to put an end to this? It is clearly eminent this company has no regard for the numerous customers they continue to abuse on a daily basis and they should be held accountable for such actions. I will be filing this complaint with each and every company or governing body I can find that accepts complaints such as this and I beg that one of these bodies put an end to this immediately to avoid future hardships for all of us.

UPDATE: It is now 1:45pm April 14th and we still have not been reconnected and although we have a recorded message from Aaron in the corporate office, extension 27791, stating we would be connected first thing this morning and we have been told by numerous representatives we would be receiving a call from dispatch since 8:00am, we have not received 1 telephone call from dispatch yet. This report has now been filed with the Missouri Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, Missouri Cable Service Association, FTC as well as numerous internet based complaint websites and we will continue to file this complaint anywhere we find willing to accept it. Not to mention we spent 3 hours at our business on the phone with Charter when we were suppose to be operating our business and we have now wasted close to 1000 minutes on our cell phones since our home telephone does not work without internet service which is going to reflect on our Sprint cellular bill costing us hundreds of dollars which we will be including in the lawsuit we will be filing against Charter Communications.

17th of May, 2007

Charter Communications - this company is awful. They provide the worst picture for the highest price. Little do they know that because their service to my home is so bad that I do not purchase advertising on Charter for the university I work for. Charter is losing $2,500 a month in advertising (it goes to Time Warner, which is probably no better but I don't subscribe to them). Way to go Charter! REAL SMART!

• Em
      22nd of May, 2007

After numerous calls to stop my service on June 3, Charter made a mistake and canceled it today. I ended up losing $960.00. Did they care? Customer service informed me they wouldn't fix their mistake unless I lowered my voice and then informed me I shouldn't have used their service for anything work related anyway. They did say they would reimburse for the time lost due to their mistake... I guess that will be a dollar or so. Without doubt, Charter has the worst service I've come across. I would never utilize their service again and would strongly encourage anyone I know to think twice before using them. They made it quite clear that the customer is not of great importance except as a means to take money for their less than adequate service. Too bad they have forgotten the true meaning of customer service...

27th of Jul, 2007

My wife (in Pasadena, CA) has a billing problem with Charter... same kind of run-around that I read about on these posts, so I won't bore you with the same song, umpteenth verse. What I want to know is to whom, and in what form, do communications need to be send to get some appropriate action out of them? I want a name... not just a department or, even worse, just "Charter". We're going to send it "return receipt requested so at least we'll have Somebody's name on the line.

Does Anybody up their chain of command give a damn? Reminds me of Dell Computer...

And while I'm asking for advice, is there any other agency to whom we can complain, e.g., either state or federal? My wife, and I myself within the next month, lives in an upscale retirement facility; would it make them any difference if I suggest that I'll lobby to have them all disaffiliate with Charter?

And I have a lawyer son, so I probably oughta ask him; but at what point is a class action suit appropriate and likely to be successful because I, for one, don't believe their dysfunctional is from stupidity or lack of training - I think it's intentional and fraudulent and I think we could substantiate that believe to a judge or jury. When they make mistakes or inconvenienced, it's ALWAYS to their benefit. That fact defies an explanation of coincidence.

Anyway, lemme hear from you. And thanks for listening.

Andrew Short
    (817) 793-5388
    Dallas, TX area

• Ca
      1st of Sep, 2008

Our internet service goes out all the time. I asked them why and they could not give me a reason. They just said well it's working now. I would much prefer Comcast over Charter. How do you get rid of a cable company in your town if you do not like them? I need reliable internet service all the time.

• Ad
      13th of Jun, 2009

I moved to Mandeville, LA in November. I already had cable, so I scheduled a technician for HSI. A sub-contractor came, spent 5 hours and could not get the HSI to work. In the months that followed, here is what happened:
    1. 30 phone calls to Charter Customer Service
    2. 27 Charter Customer Service people hanging-up the phone on me and transferring me to the Spanish line as a joke
    3. 7 Charter Customer Service people calling me the "s, f, and a" words

So, I called AT&T. Within 3 hours, I had DSL service.

• Me
      4th of Feb, 2011

I woud love to joi in a suit and screw them .. I have super high speed internet and am down all the time . melars9@hotmail.com sue them

• Ha
      17th of Jun, 2012

HELLO TO ALL OF YOU, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION AND BAD EXPERIENCES YOU ALL HAD WITH THIS COMPANY. I USED TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY AS A CUSTOMER CARE REPRESENTATIVE, IT IS EVEN A BAD EXPERIENCE TO WORK FOR THIS FOLKS. I DO AGREE THAT SOME OF US WORKING THERE DID TOOK ADVANTAGE OF CUSTOMERS, OTHERS INCLUDING ME TRIED TO DO THE "RIGHT" THING AND BECAUSE OF THAT I GOT FIRED. I DO UNDERSTAND THAT SERVICE IS VERY IMPORTANT BUT THEY WERE THE ONES WHO DID NOT ALLOWED US TO HELP.THEY FORCED US TO SELL MORE PACKAGES TO CUSTOMERS, OTHERWISE WE GOT FIRED, MANY EMPLOYEES OPTED TO ADD SERVICES WITHOUT CUSTOMER`S KNOWLEDGE IN ORDER TO KEEP THEIR JOB. UNFORTUNATELY THE SERVICES THEY "PROVIDE" ARE NOT RELIABLE, THERE ARE ALWAYS BLACKOUTS OR OUTAGES LEAVINC REPS NO WAY TO HELP, SENDING TECHS WAS NOT A BIG HELP SINCE MANY WERE UNPROFESSIONAL AND NOT WELL TRAINED. I`M VERY HAPPY I`M NOT LONGER WORKING FOR THEM, AND I KNOW SOMETIMES CUSTOMERS DON`T HAVE ANY OTHER OPTION SINCE CHARTER IS THE ONLY PROVIDERS IN SOME AREAS, BUT IF YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO CHOOSE DON`T CHOSE CHARTER.