Charter College / Financial Aide

1 Anchorage, AK, United States Review updated:

I was told by the school, that I owed them no more money and everything was taken care of by my student loans etc. The school signed off on the paper work (which I still have). I got a bill in the mail a couple days ago stating I owed them $2600!!! Where am I supposed to come up with that money? I was informed by their corporate offices that I have had a $3000 check sitting at the school for me, that I was not aware of until today...I am so Irritated that I do not know where to even start. Don't go here. Seriously.

Comments

• Sn
      21st of Apr, 2011

I completely agree. I've had trouble with the Wasilla campus too, but I don't think it has anything to do with the campus we attend. I think it has everything to do with the corporate office. Look up my complaint about Charter College-Wasilla.

23rd of Aug, 2012

I attended Charter College in Pasco Washington. Started with my MA and added The AA program in Medical office Management. Graduated waited 6 months or so to get an externship, finished that and 2 or 3 years later i am told i owe a couple thousand more dollars. Hello why did it take so long for this to show up? Hadn't found a job and its been 5 years. Granted I'm a white 55 year old woman, maby that's the problem. The Charter College has not helped me at all. They are clearly in breech of contract. I would love to get my justice but you know if i got a lawyer i would loose and have to spend more money. Hope they start checking out this scam of a college. Very disappointed in this so called College

• Ka
      27th of Mar, 2014

I agree 100%! I went to school in Anchorage, Alaska. I graduated with a good GPA and a couple of perfect attendance awards. I got my certificate and followed through with my AAS. I wanted to get my Bachelors degree but they never contacted me back so I could get the sign on discount for graduating within a certain amount of time and signing up for a new degree. I did not know much about what college was supposed to be like so of course I was stoked and proud of myself. I was promised that with signing up with the Paralegal program we would have trips to the court house and that never happened. I was told I would be making roughly $100, 000/year, of course I don't even make half of that. One teacher decided he was going to fail me when I had an A the whole course because I made a complaint that the class was being taught about animal psychology and nothing about the legal system as we were supposed to be learning. I did not get one on one assistance with anything. The whole school was a joke. When it came time to going to the library to check out our school books or return them someone was never there. Honestly the school was a joke. All they want is your money and they will get by with the bare minimal amount of education. If there was a lawsuit I would jump on board. It cannot be legal to take darn near $30, 000.00 from myself or anyone else for that matter. Most of the people that resort to Charter College are single parents or working 1 or 2 jobs just to keep their head afloat but like the fact that they can achieve their goals at a bit faster pace than a credited college.

2nd of Apr, 2014

Hi KayD,

We’re proud that you completed the certificate and associate’s program at Charter College but we’re disappointed to read your post. We find some of your statements very concerning and we’d like to speak with you more. Please give us a call at 907.277.1000 or stop by campus so that we might speak with you regarding these concerns. Additionally, in regards to your comment about accreditation, I would like to assure you that Charter College is accredited; you may learn more about our accreditation here:

We look forward to hearing from you.

- Brandi, Charter College

20th of May, 2014

I agree!
    My complaint is in [redacted], and I was there in 08-09. The more time passes by, and the more experience I gain, the more I get angrier because of how bad I was ripped off.
    I just filed a complaint with the better business bureau.
    I'm surprised there's only 1-2 complaints there, so everyone needs to file there asap.

• Fo
      7th of Aug, 2014

I hope you will contact the US Department of Education OIG hot line at 1-800-MIS-USED (1-800-647-8733). The people who report the truth about the issues they experience at this college the more likely the Department will be to take effective action. The Department might be especially interested in hearing about Financial Aid/Student Loan issues since some of the Charter College schools had been placed on Heightened Cash Monitoring status in the recent past.

4th of Mar, 2016

I too attended charter for a month or two and had thought that they would only charge me for the credits I earned, but they are charging me for the whole tuition fee. Is their anything I can do to fix my problem. I owe them $6500 for the one credit I was able to achieve because honestly the paralegal classes I was taking online were not self explanatory, and my professors would not get back to me til the next day, and that did not help to complete everything within the one week time frame they asked for. That's why I had to withdraw.

29th of Sep, 2016

I agree I was just told I could not complete my degree as an Accounting Associate because of my GPA when I tried to take time off or withdraw for health reasons they kept telling me I needed to continue even if I just passed with D's then my GPA got lower and they denied my request to attend and make up the classes. After they took all of my funding they just denied my request for academic probation, and said too bad! This place is a rip off they promised labs and tutoring class and as soon as I was in need about half way through my degree they took everything away. They systematically took all services away, no more study class room no more tutor, no more printing and there computers were so bad they were not usable anyway! I am getting a lawyer and I am contacting my funding source Cook Inlet Region Inc. Foundation to let them know not to fund students for Charter College any more. I am also going to call that number for the US Dept. of Education hot line 1-800-647-8733.

24th of Oct, 2016

I also feel charter college is a rip off! At 50 yrs old you think your getting the education and the help in getting that job you desperately needed to survive only to now owe over 30, 000. An have a minimum wage job in housekeeping. They should be closed! And we shouldn't owe!!! Very frustrated! !!

26th of Oct, 2016

Hi Carrie,
    We’re disappointed to read your comment. However, we understand the job search process can be very difficult and frustrating, but we hope that you continue to look for a job in your field. If you’d like help with your job search we encourage you to reach out to your campus to connect with our Career Services Team. Our team would be happy to help you with job leads, polishing your resume, interview preparation and more.
    Thanks and we hope to hear from you soon.
    -Brandi A, Charter College

26th of Oct, 2016

I did reach out many times! I was refered to online job sites, in which a few places had even told me they didn't want anyone from charter, I never missed a day an graduated with high GPA, and now it's bee 4 yrs, out of date with all of it, it's really not fair that all that work for nothing except I owe!!

• Th
      11th of Dec, 2018
    Charter College - Charter college
    Yakima
    Washington

Cristy4 I agree with you, we all need to make a lawsuit against them!!