Care.com / bad practices and service

1 TN, United States Review updated:

We were looking for a nanny to help out with our daughter so I signed up with Care.com and ran an ad. At first, things went well. We got some applicants and were in the process of scheduling interviews. Then one day, I went to sign in and couldn't. I sent a message to them and received a generic response stating that my account had been terminated. They had just taken money out of my account so it wasn't like I didn't pay for the service. I wrote them back and asked them to give me a reason and a refund. They wouldn't - only gave a regurgitation of their policy that states they can cancel your account at any time without warning. I really don't care what their 'policy' states. They took my money and then cancelled me for no reason. It also angers me that they don't even have a phone number listed anywhere so that I could talk to an actual person. It is just bad business.

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Am
      28th of Aug, 2017

Care.com does illegal background checks I have a very common name I am in nursing program with no criminal record and they
    Suspended my account after getting great reviews from client s on there for years. In the area I live just at local pharmacy another person with my name and same date of birth and same neighborhood. They need do more thorough checks I have a level 2 background with the state of Florida fingerprint scanned.

• 11
      31st of Jul, 2017

Mine is a little different although
    I had 3 families with same thing offering $4.00 for childcare
    I was appalled and disgusted. Told care. Com they don't care
    My issue was I had a review from a woman I never met or worked for and care.com
    Would not take it down and it of course affected my chance of getting another nanny gig so out of frustration I closed my account
    Not sure how she has any right to say that when we never met.

• 50
      27th of Jun, 2017

I paid for a background check, and the information they posted was inaccurate. Background was clear, but DMV record stated "no record found". I called DMV and they said I was clearly on record. Who would hire someone for errands who has is not found with a valid license? No one! I requested my money be refunded, but they won't reply to anything. Care. Com is a total scam! STAY AWAY!

• Br
      22nd of Aug, 2016

I worked a job but never got paid

• Be
      13th of Jun, 2016

Another scam. Here is what was sent to me via text message:
    Hello my name is Sandra from Care.com, your service as a caregiver for a friend 62 year old sweet mom is required, kindly email my boss at [protected]@o

They didn't even take the time to complete the email address. The phone number this was sent from is 402- 387 - 3056

• Br
      21st of May, 2016

I worked for Ted from Minnesota and never got paid. Beware!!

• Ka
      24th of Mar, 2016

Be careful. I attempted to downgrade my twice to downgrade my account and was shocked in reviewing my year end financial information to learn that they had continued to bill me quarterly without my permission. This company is not to be trusted.

• Ha
      17th of Jan, 2016

Care.Com is a horrible site
    they will delete you for absolutely no reason
    then won't tell you why! i feel something very illegal is going on here, so beware! ! I will never use them again and will warn anybody and everybody. .DON'T use this site! !

6th of Oct, 2015

I am sure glad I read this...I got 2 yesterday - I am waiting for the checks to come...hmm

• Re
      17th of Aug, 2015

I joined Care.com after returning from overseas mission. I worked with at-risk children for seven years, and previously had been a nanny years ago for the same family for over nine years. Great references, clean background. Not one single response form many applications, and was told I had a better chance if i paid. Why would I pay premium for a service that does not provide even minimum.

• Pa
      13th of Aug, 2015

I put my resume on this site and have got over 6 scams . I get one every day, they put an ad, you answer and they mail you bad checks. I have all the phone number and text, and emails. I want my information deleted from your site.

13th of May, 2015

I have done my own investigation on this company Care.com. it is a fraudulent misrepresented company that should be shut down by the federal trade commission for defrauding both parents and babysitters and putting babies and kids lives in danger daily. Background checks are provided by a cut rate outside .com company that clearly states they are not liable for any accuracy or completeness since no real live id is ever seen by anyone and any stolen or borrowed DL# can bu used to pass. The BBB is covering for all the fraud that is going on by awarding Care.com an A rating for a $500 a yr membership fee, that allows Care.om to hand pick reviews and the rating. 2 american families have come home to dead babies and this is what they read when they opened their email to plan the funeral. "We at care.com reserve the right to terminate any membership for any reason or no reason at anytime with no refund or explanation. This is the auto generated response Care.com sends out to anyone that dare to report any issues. The phone call is recorded and the account is terminated for legal reason with no explanation. Care.com will terminate for as little as a petty argument over a spot on the carpet to a baby dies. They treat it all with the same with the upmost disrespect with no apology. Imagine opening your email while planning a funeral for a dead baby and reading that. Unethical and disgusting are the words for that.

1st of May, 2015

i applied for a job for pet sitting several months ago, i lost my job a year ago. i am being scammed harassed by phone texts and emails and you need to check the people who are advertising for a pet sitter ect and take these sick people i am so annoyed and the have my info all of it

21st of Nov, 2014

I have been a care.com member for many years as a parent and as a caregiver. There are only 3 reason a parent or a caregiver will be shut down.
    No 1 - The parent is angry beacuse the sitter didi not show up for a scheduled interview or babysitting job they send a less than nice text via care..They are shut down. Etiquette is very important on care.com. The same for a sitter... The parents will hire her then compleatly ignore her texts because they have found someone else or changed thier mind. Or change the agreement of times and pay. The sitter is very angry and send a angry email.

No 2 - no one is allowed to ask for a private email address. The text system will flag ypour page and let it go the first time maybe the second if you continue asking for email addresses you will be shut down without warning or explanation.

No 3- No one is allowed to post as a sitter or a parent and try to advertises for a side business. You can not say "And by the way I also cut hiar out of my house" You will be shut down.

29th of Mar, 2014

Care.com is a good newspaper, billboard & website but do not leave any personal info on it. You can slowly find out a little about families and care givers in time. Care.com will ask you for your info & at the same time will write a disclaimer stating that they are not responsible for any damage. I would think there are predators out there who want your info to sell, harass or worse. I don't understand how families would leave info about themselves and children on a website that anyone could join. There are also naive care givers who could be giving info or leads to their personal info (facebook) that mention their whereabouts and friends.Not to mention background checks.
    I will not say that care.com is a bad thing though it is not exactly a community paper, it is a world wide paper but it focuses on a direct audience of people who need domestic help or who work in the field. Remember that it is just an online newspaper ad and newspapers do not advise to list your personal info.
    Do not put the whole field down there are other leads such as newspapers, school & neighborhood billboards and reputable nanny agencies that are very personal and thorough. Still guard your info and always know who you are allowing your info to go to.There is always age discrimination so remember that it is unlawful for employers to ask your age.

• Ld
      17th of Mar, 2014

Wow, all of these stories are familiar now. I've been a child care giver for 10+ years. I spent 5 years on this site building a great profile with awesome reviews/connections and building relationships with people. I had a clean background check and not one person who would say a bad word about me. All of a sudden I get an email from Care.com stating that my membership has been terminated. Again, like all other stories here, absolutely no reason and when I called they refused to give one. I'm almost 100% sure it's a family that I worked for trying to get back at me for deciding to leave after putting up with the appalling behavior of their child for WAY too long. Was I given a chance to explain my side of the story and the fact that I'm innocent? NO. Their rules are ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I have 10+ families that I've worked for that would stand up and defend me and tell of how well I care for children and work hard, but my reputation and my future job possibilities get completely wrecked just because one family, ticked off because things didn't go their way, call up Care and tell them who knows what lie to have my membership terminated. Yeah, thanks for NOTHING Care.com! I'll not be recommending you and your business won't be lasting long if you continue to run it this way.

22nd of Jan, 2014

I was amazingly surprised at how many people have been terminated from Care.com without explaination. I hired an attorney who can not get any information, based on what we all signed saying we can be terminated for any reason at any time without explaination.

Someone, an attorney friend of mine who knows how contracts like this work. She has suggested going on the news or reporting it to the news.

Anyone here willing to do that in there area? I am in the Boston area, and am looking for people to join in. It would also be wonderful if we all did it on our own local news.

What do ya think?

6th of Jan, 2014

Care.com has the worst customer service ever and zero loyalty to its customers. After paying monthly premiums for over a year, I left a miserable employer (the worst!) who then retaliated by posting an undeserved negative review on my profile. I responded with a post detailing the truth of the matter - which of course was unbecoming to the employer. Care.com allowed the negative review towards myself to stand but would not allow my response. It made no sense. The employer had burned through numerous caregivers in the past (for good reason!) yet Care.com threw me under the bus. Steer clear of this organization. They do not deserve your money.

• Me
      12th of Nov, 2013

Hi Melcarnley,

We're sorry about your experience with Care.com. In regards to payments between you and a family, Care.com leaves that discussion to be between the caregivers and the families hiring them. We are not an agency, we are a platform set up for families to meet caregivers, and caregivers to meet families. We provide both families and caregivers with the tools they need to make a smart hiring or job decision.

As stated in our Terms of Use that you agree to upon enrollment, Care.com reserves the right to close an account for any reason or no reason, with our without notice. Further, we do not always disclose the reasons as to why an account has been closed.

We apologize for your experience, and wish you the best of luck in your job search!

Regards,
    Care.com Member Care Representative

• Me
      4th of Nov, 2013

Care .com is a dirty business. I believe soon they will no longer be in service if we as a community stand up and don't let their inaccurate and possible illegal rules ruin people's reputations. And from the children shown on commercial they really need nanny s who can correct the parents bad parenting of letting children talk back to adult and yell. Great job though with the were a family co. Attitude yah right!