Brown Mackie College

Posted:

Scam

Brown mackie college
Cincinnati, Ohio
A pathetic scam of a school. Getting by with fine print. They do not mention verbally that they charge by quarters. I find this hard to imagine that they can charge a student for classes they never attend. I especially do not understand how if they block you from attending a class they can still charge you for it. I was a good student with good attendance and great expectations. Brown Mackie is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Complaint comments Comments (31)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Colleges and Universities

Comments

A  12th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I graduated Brown Mackie with a 4.0 (only 1 of 4 that year). They didn't send me on 1 interview in the 8 months I used their "lifetime job placement" program. They don't tell you that they are not fully acredited. They recruit for programs such as paralegal and vet assistant, which has NO MARKET in this area, just to fill a quota. They have you come in and sign in if you are not going to attend class so that they can get paid anyway. They have no alternate classes in their programs. You have to take anatomy and physiology if you are legal studies student. What sense does that make? THeir reputation in the community is horrible and they won't even hire their own graduates when a job opens up on their campus. Don't waste your money. Go to IVY Tech. At least there you'll have a chance of getting a real education from a real school so you can get a REAL JOB!
A  12th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hello, I am a college professor who worked for BM in the evenings, after my university classes ended, for several years. First off, I saw my students as good, hard working people from working class backgrounds who were trying to do something worthwhile for themselves and their kids. I tried everything in my bag of tricks not only to educate them, but also, to make them FEEL like college students and empower them to learn. I hope I helped.

Unfortunately, Brown Mackie, for all its ads and claims, cannot truly provide these students with the education and ACCREDITED certifications and diplomas they need to land real jobs. That is the truth, and anyone who claims otherwise is trying to sell a bill of goods. The only real "paper" worth anything to employers is a college degree... and not from BMC or other proprietary (privately owned) schools you see on TV. Employers shun applicants I have even seen U of Phoenix resumes in the HR trash... the bottom line is that most employees of companies are university graduates, and they are not about to hire people who attempted to short cut the two or four year university system. True story, I lie not.

I was talking to another professor the other day and he said he taught for several months at Brown Mackie. He told me that BMC students pay more for tuition and books than I did for my Masters Degree at an accredited university. I guess you students are paying for all those BM commercials on daytime TV... why not grow a pair and go to a real college, which is accredited and where you have student rights?? I hate to see you hard working people fund a school that will provide you with nothing but future debt!!

Mrs. Teacher
A  25th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I am a student that attends the BM in Merrillville, IN. I started at the beginning of this year in the Medical Assisting program and so far am pretty happy. But...I have seen some unusual things going on, such as the first month I attended we were shown around to all the different depts., and was introduced to the Head of Medical Assisting. I thought she was very nice and quite knowledgable, but a month later she was gone. I asked (as well as other students) to the wherabouts of...we'll just call her "Carole", but no said anything...all the facilty "played dumb". So after she left, another individual came in and became the Head of the Medical Assisting Dept...he was a very nice guy and also was very well informed, and helped the students out with any questions they had. Just last week...poof...gone! What happened to...we'll just call him "David". Another good instructor has left the building...or escorted out. It seems to me that this school lacks something, like maybe good instructors. Oh and by the way the former Dean of the school was escorted out of the building and a sub is taking his place. We pay good money to attend here, now why don't people get your act together and start being seroius for once. Leave the politics in Washington and keep it there!
N  24th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
After 16 months at Brown Mackie and being treated by faculty there like we were in some kind of camp, meaning if they did like you, they found ways to make your venture there unpleasant and dimissed you based on lies. I have never exprienced such unethical admin staff at a place where I was the paying consumer. They prey on low income people mostly young adults who know that it "easy" and believing that just because you go there and get a pieceof paper might mean something. Where else can you go to school sign in, then leave, get a stipend check, and get an A! I am now at an well respected instituion and retaking classes that I too at Brown Mackie. No comparsion in the work, and expectations! I am actually learning material that would make me an asset to my chosen field! and they have the nerve to send me to collections for 3500.00 and I was not even in attendance. Only to be told I signed a contract stating that they can charge me, even though I was'nt there! every test was open book, and even times teachers gave you the answers!!! I can go on and on...Please beware of BMC (Louisville)
A  30th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I attend brownmackie Akron and my experience has been ok as far as the classes or what not. on the other hand as far as the finacial aid I am not pleased. I have had classes that I dont need Im also at the end of my 24 months and I have 100 credits I only need 96 they told me that a class i had taken would not count toward my degree for some reason they didnt say that when sallie mae sent them thier money. If there is in deed a class action law suit in place I am all for it. They also have a career services department want to know how many jobs they have given out. I also want to try it for discrimination also the whole
time I was with brown mackie I was constantly stereotyped when stipends were available they were never available to me for a whole year I didnt get not one stipend.
D  17th of Aug, 2010 by    -2 Votes
I am a graduate from the Brown Mackie College, and I successfully completed my degree and I am successfully working in a rewarding career. I am also returning to further my educational goals. I can agree that sometimes the qaulity of their students leave some doubt to potential employers. You must keep in mind that not all college's are for everyone, some people need a college like Brown Mackie because it gives the non-traditional student a chance for success. It comes down to how much and how bad you want to change your life for the better, on whether or not you are successful. I have seen and heard bad things about the college before entering, during and after completion. What i have found to be true is that majority of these complaints are from people who did not have the ability or compassion to be successful and complete their programs. I have also seen people bad mouth the school, drop out and go to another college, only to return because they could not handle the case load that other college's have. Either way, there are successful students our there working in good careers and providing for themselves and families all on a Brown Mackie College degree.
D  29th of Oct, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I dont agree, i find it very hard to do anything with this kind of education. I graduated with honors and made the dean's list several times. all ive gotten from this school is a TON of debt and no job to pay for it.
A  1st of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Class of 2004 from Southern Ohio College which was the name of the school b4 Brown Mackie. Nobody in my class got a job except of 5 peaple and they networked on their on. thats out of over 100 students. They are LIARS and should be punished for putting people into debt especially now with MONEY being so tight. I HOPE THEY PAY. STAFF IN ALL BECAUSE EVERYONE INVOLVED IS GUILTY.
N  12th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
do anyone know where to send a complain letter about this school. i am currently a student at this school and they are trying fail me change my grade from a b- to a f
A  29th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree Brown Mackie college should be shut down for illegal operation. I am talking about lieing and cheating people out there money. I went to Brown Makie they hired this instructor that told me they are very unorganized. He did not really teach passed who ever showed up. I did not not learn a thing from the course. I also like to say once they get your money they do not care about you as a person. I say this school should be shoot down return all money before something bad happens. Finally they play with your book money like you are a kid it is only about couple hundred. Finally they got all those thousands from you and put you threw it for a couple hundred. Last but not least books are so high it is unreal. I bought a book for a month around 150 . Try to sell it back at the end of the month the offered 7 bucks. I know life supposed to be hard but real hope they get investigated. I say when they do this to people they are wrong. I also witness a head of the chair telling our class only 3 out of everyclass room graduate from BM Iwonder why.
N  29th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
Brown Mackie is a mess I do not see how a college can get away with all the things they do. I know for a fact that some students get jobs when they leave the school. I say those are the same students that could of did it with out college. I am there to learn every month is another story why they couldn't get the job done. 1. There wasn't enough days in the month. 2.The school did not leave me with good instructions. 3. They just hired me I do not know what to teach. 4. Most Famouse one I know you spent all that money on the book but were not gone to use it. I say just think about that in todays economy. 5, Finally out of 12 instructors they will be one teaching at a complcated level . I am goin to say is this fair. If i go to a school everyday for a year and it is the same. Finally one teacher come in trying to teach at advance level. I say if you are goin to do that other colledges should accept my credites. (they wont) you fail they make more money. I am not total against anybody but there doin wrong. If they really took the time to hire good instructors the school would double. I say they wont it is all about greed and not careing. Last but not least everyone there is fake but the majority is and god do not like ugly
N  30th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes

Brown Mackie College - consumer Fraud

For everyone with complaints about Brown Mackie Louisville complaints please see my yout tube video : Iris-Triplett Baker on Wave 3. Please contact me @ itriplett@insightbb.com for futher information.
N  31st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
Brown Mackie is a mess I do not see how a college can get away with all the things they do. I know people that work for brown mackie that tells me this school is not good. I wish those people could have told me in the begining. They did not know me well and probably would have got fired. I know for a fact that some students get jobs when they leave the school. I say those are the same students that could of did it without college. I am there to learn but every month it is a story why they could not get the job done. 1. There was not enough days in the month. 2.The school did not leave me with good instructions. 3.They just hired me I do not know what to teach.4. Most famouse one after you spend all your money on books we are not goin to use the book.5. They are just letting anyone teach you. I say just think about that in todays economy. Finally out of about 12 instructors there will be one teaching at a complicated level. Is that fair when you been going for a year they passing students for showing up. If you fail they make more money. The school is unorganized to the fullest. If you do not believe go to the school do nt forget I told you so. Good schools to go to Stark state, Kent State, Ohio State, Akron, and any school that cares about your fucture. This school is owned by some greedy [censor] that will pay with the law take them dowm. (God do not like ugly)
N  31st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I say most of all the people of the world is our fucture. It do not matter what race you are. If we wanna better our lives we have to stand up for our selves. It could be hard trying to stop this school. I learned something from the police of akron. If you do not support a bussinees it will shut down. I do not want any body to go threw what I have been threw love you all. (Brown Mackie is a scam )
N  3rd of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
That's awful what happened to you. Thanks for sharing your story. I've had my fair share of dealing with BS from even my public state university.
N  28th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Yea it Really bad that this type of deceptionis allowed all atthe expense of the taxpayers money. I hope and pray the advocate group I have started will make a difference.
N  2nd of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
You are so on the money. I am currently there, and I think I need to throw away the 9 months I invested at this college and go to a community college. They read out of a book, and throw assignments at you without teaching you how to do them. This school is mostly about the money. Anyone who can help me with ADVICE jj3281@hotmail.com. I deserve better and I'm being disrespected by this school it's a joke!
D  2nd of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
You are taught to teach yourself.
N  17th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Once again most of these students who have complaints, don't want to be in school for the education anyways. They fall victimes to their selves.
D  18th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
You get what you take from anywhere you go to school. I have plenty of friends with Bachelors and Masters that have done absolutely nothing since receiving them. BMC is relatively affordable compared to other private schools in my area, though it does seem to me that they will let just about anyone in. I've had more problems with disruptive students, than any of the faculty. It is hard to be a stay at home mom and go to a 4 year university. I had to weigh my options a lot before making my decision. It also matters what field you are studying. If your first class has 40 Medical Assistant students, what are the chances of all 40 of them getting a job right after graduation? I've also noticed some of these complains have EXTREMELY poor grammar and spelling, so maybe you guys should try going back to high school before you go to college.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree