Bonitas Medical Fund / general waiting period

1 South Africa

I am a member with Bonitas with membership number [protected] and added three beneficiaries from 1 September.

A general waiting period of three months was imposed on my son Marius Badenhorst. Both my financial advisor and myself engaged with customer service as well as underwriting several times to find the reason for the waiting period and ask for removal since we don't feel it is valid and fair and against the medical aid nation act.

1. Marius was on a medical aid for longer than 24 months and moved without an interruption of more than 90 days.
2. The move was a forced move due to employer contributions being stopped followed by retrenchment on my husband's side. No general waiting period should therefore apply since this was forced.
3. A minor procedure was performed on Marius in April 2018 where his foreskin was stretched under moderate anaesthesia. He was admitted to hospital for a few hours for this procedure it was once-off and completed successfully and was not a medical condition that continued. Underwriting first indicated that this was the reason for the waiting period but then waived the condition and still kept the waiting period.

We are still struggling to get this resolved and my advisor escalated the matter to CMS and we are applying with another medical aid since Bonitas did not properly provide feedback or resolve this matter.

Ref numbers for enquiries lodged:
MI667064513