Belle Tire / Damaged My Vehicle

1 Southgate, MI, United States Review updated:

. I recently installed a Team Z front end suspension kit along with headers and a full exhaust system on my 02 Mustang GT. I brought the car to Belle Tire to have them perform the alignment on the front end. I drop the car off and walk down the street to get my hair cut.

As soon as I walk in, the sales person, Scott Mitchell tells me "Your exhaust was hanging down in the back, you'll have to get some different bolts to fix that." I was confused by this, and wondered why my exhaust had anything to do with an alignment. I told Scott that I knew of no problem with my exhaust, and that it had no leaks. I then proceeded into the waiting room to wait for my car to be finished. As they are finishing I see them pulling the car off of the alignment rack, and the guy driving had to call two other technicians to lift up on the rear wheel wells in order to get the exhaust to clear the rack as he was pulling off. I immediately go to Scott and tell him what I noticed, and directly ask him if they hit the alignment rack with my exhaust. He says "yeah it did hit." I ask him if there is any damage, he stumbles on his words and mentions a scratch. I tell Scott that before paying I'm going out to the parking lot to look over my car and see if there is any damage.

I get under the car and see where the X-pipe connects to the cat back there are scratches and red paint marks (the same color as the alignment rack). It is very clear that they hit the alignment rack with my exhaust and caused some damage, then tried to hide it without telling me. Scott comes out to retrieve me from the parking lot and I point out the obvious damage to him. Scott assures me that he has been working on cars for a very long time and that I simply need new bolts to correct this problem. I tell Scott that this is not good enough, my vehicle was brought in with the new exhaust in perfect working order, and I expect him to repair all of the damage that they caused. Scott then begins to blame me for the problem. Scott says that "your exhaust was hanging down so it's your fault." Yes, I know this is unbelievable, but that is exactly what he said. I am beside myself. This guy damaged my vehicle and said that it was my fault. I tell him that they should have checked the clearance as they were pulling onto the rack, and Scott's answer to that: "Well he can't see under the car while he is pulling onto the rack can he?" Once again, I cannot believe the logic that Scott Mitchell is presenting here. Apparently Scott feels that it is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is not damaged while at their shop. I go back and forth with Scott for a while demanding that he repair my vehicle before returning it to me, which he continues to counter with an offer of putting my vehicle on the rack to show me what I need to do to fix it. Finally another manager steps in, by the name of Steve. I have dealt with Steve during all of my previous trips to Belle Tire, and I've never had a problem with him. He looks at my car and after some negotiation he offers to just write off the cost of the aliment ($50) and I will fix the exhaust myself. I agree to this, thinking that they were simply too lazy or inept to clamp my exhaust properly and I can fix it with simply some bolts as Scott suggested.

I end up leaving the store, rather displeased, in my car with a full new exhaust system that now has a leak in it. Later when I get home I begin inspecting the exhaust to see what I need to do. I then see exactly how extensive the damage is to my vehicle. They apparently struck the alignment rack so hard, that it completely ripped the flange off of my X-pipe, and smashed the bottom of the ball. I didn't know this when I inspected it at the Belle Tire because they made sure to slide the clamp back in between the two exhaust sections. It however had no actual attachment to the X-pipe section anymore. The passenger side of my exhaust pipe was hanging down with no connection at all. They had effectively destroyed my brand new X-pipe.

I can't believe the level of disrespect I received from Scott that day. My vehicle was seriously damaged in their shop. Scott had no intention of telling me about it, and only confessed to it when I directly asked him if they had hit their alignment rack. Scott went further to blame the entire incident on me, and tell me that it was my responsibility to fix.

I once did all of my wheel and suspension business through Belle Tire. I can tell you for certain that due to Scott's blatant disrespect for me they have lost myself, my family, and all of my friends as customers.

R2

Comments

• Bc
      7th of Jul, 2009

I use to work for belle. theres a lot that goes on. be careful when you go for anything, they like to "upsell" i.e., bg flushes that you do not necessarily need-coolant power steer, fuel system and brake system. also the free alignment check--what ajoke, if the printout says its in align the techs "bump" the heads on the tires to make it read out of spec, you buy the alignmnt, company and techs make money and consumer is out. if its free dont buy it! they donothing but bump the head to the spot it was and presto its done. the mechanics are under a lot of pressure by mgt to get the car out fast, sometimes not fixed right, but deal when it comes back later. mgt is under pressure to sell-their bonus and pay is tied directly to that. however think of this, belle has the best pay around--they pay mechanics up to 23% of labor and PARTS-think of it, the more parts u sell the more you make, be careful

• Da
      30th of Aug, 2009

The guy above that states that Belle Tire pays out their Tech's 23% of Labor and Parts is 100% correct!!! My Brother just left a Chrysler Dealership because of all the closings, he went to a Belle Tire and interviewed and he left and called me and warned me never to go there again. This 23% of parts and labor is correct. My Brother has been a tech for over 20 years and he has told me about various scams he has come across. And there are a lot out there.

But he says that there is no way he would work at Belle Tire as there is too much motivation for the technician to screw the job up or to just basically do whatever they can to overcharge the people. So the tech's make more money, then so do the Mgr's as their bonus's are part of what they sell to each client. So the Tech's are obviously "motivated" by the Mgr's and the customer loses...

I won't go into detail, but I will say that before my brother told me this, I went to a Belle Tire, and they charged me for a four wheel alignment, and they didn't even do the job! My brother looked at the paper work and started laughing! He siad let's go get your money back...Too bad it is Sunday, but I will go Monday!

Look I understand that it is a competitive market out there, and sometimes people come up with a creative way to bring money. But I think we can all agree that tech's should not be paid on the problems they find, as it will only lead to people "creating" problems.