BBG Communications / Terrible company!

1 1658 Gailes Blvd. Ste BSan Diego, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-576-2118

On April 30, 2008, I made a phone call from from Schipol Airport to Amsterdam. I was charged $15.46 for the phone call. I called the company, BBG Communications, San Diego, CA 92101 to file a complaint about the call. They told me that I needed to have checked the rates first. I told them I don't know how that was possible, as there wasn't any information at, in or around the phone booth indicating that the phone call was going to be made through BBG and/or their rates. I also called my credit card co. to file a dispute, which is in process.

They told me, however, that by putting my card into the phone, I authorized BBG to handle the phone call. I said I had no idea, or information, that when I put my credit card into the phone for a normally $.25 phone call, 10 minutes away, that it was going to be made by a company in San Diego, Ca., 6000 miles away, for $15. I wasn't informed or given any choices to continue or discontinue the transaction.

Va

Comments

• Ti
      3rd of Jun, 2008

This company is absolutely ridiculous. I was in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica last weekend and attempted to call my boyfriend 4 times from a payphone. There was no information about how much I would be charged, but I figured I could handle $2 a minute because it was important to tell him I was okay. I received a bill for $180, and I never once spoke to him. I placed 4 calls, totaling maybe 1 minute, and was charged almost $200.

1st of Jul, 2008

Outrageous business practices. My girlfriend and I recently suffered the same fate. We were in Hungary and Germany. We used my credit card from a T-Mobile pay phone in Germany. We left a voicemail for a friend (didn't even speak to them) and I have a charge for $32.20. My girlfriend made 2 calls from Hungary on her card and the charge came to $147 CDN. The call charges were advertised as being, and I quote, "$.45/min to Canada/USA." Unbelievable. She called BBG Communications and they said that we were reading the rate that applies if you feed the pay phone with coins; which then bags the question, how is it a credit card call? The worst part is that it is clearly false advertisement, but I can't exactly fly to Hungary to prove it. Is there no way to begin a class action lawsuit against this company? I'm sick and tired of companies like this taking advantage of people.

9th of Jul, 2008

BBG are rip-off merchants, plain and simple.

I got stung twice while in France, two quick phonecalls <5mins each and my card got charged just over AUS$80!!!

live and learn, NEVER AGAIN!

• Ni
      16th of Jul, 2008

Me 2,

about 300 AU dollars for 3 minutes worth of calls

I rang BBG and they have credited my 129- still not justifiable but as the previous comment stated, you live, you learn

17th of Jul, 2008

7/17/08 - BBG has now apparently taken to charging for calls that never occurred. Son is in military - traveled through Ireland heading to Iraq in June. Made call home and was charged over $80. Ok - bill paid.

Now, they, one month later have submitted another charge for call from Ireland to US. This is a fraudulent charge as he is not in Ireland and has not used credit card to make any phone calls.

Am filing a complaint with BBG, bank, FBI, and United States Attorney's Office.

I encourage anyone with similar complaints to file complaint forms with feds since this would be their jurisdiction and obviously fraud.

• Ca
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I have had the same bad luck!!! While in France we needed to make a quick phone call. No one answered the first call, or the second and I was charged $35 for each!! The call that made it through, which less than 10 minutes was $115!!! Yet again, there was no information about how much the call would cost, I figured at max it would be $2/minute. After reading all the above complaints I'm worried that they will get away with this.