Barnette's Remanufactured Engines / Engine rebuild ripoff

Engine had a bad valve on the driver side when it arrived from them. Then the head gasket on the left side failed after 100 miles. Their workmanship is poor and they don't honor their work, word, or the warranty. They don't want to talk after the sale. I do not recommend them.

Comments

• Cu
      16th of Dec, 2010

We at Barnette's Engines were very suprised to stumble apon this review on the web. Mr. Barnette wanted us to reply to these complaints as soon as possible, so as to let our customers, and potential customers know that we here at Barnette are committed to providing the very best customer service possible. We are very sorry that George M, whom we cannot identify after searching our data base, had this problem, and cannot believe that he can honestly say that we do not want to talk after the sale. We work with customers daily before, after, and during the sale and installation of their engines. We will be sending a personal reply to George M, to contact us as well, so we can further discuss, and perhaps solve whatever issues he may have .

• Du
      26th of Dec, 2010

Know how you feel George M:
    I bought a motor from Barnette's after Danny himself called me on my cell phone and personally guaranteed the motor. Received and installed the motor by a certified mechanic. After intial start up proceedures were finished, the test ran the vehical and less than 5 miles the lower end of the engine went out. Called Barnette's, they said to send the motor back with eveything intact. Of course they said it wasn't their fault and its the mechanics fault and is not warrentable, "WHAT"!!!. And when we got to talk to someone without being hung up on, they said they WOULD NOT RETURN my oilpan, valve covers and valve, seals, all the bracketry for the pump, alt, ps, ac, etc. (over $500.00). So lets recap, Barnettes's have my 1) $2, 200.00 2) my core motor 3) the rebuilt motor (junk) 4) and over $500.00 in parts. And I have over $5, 000 bill from my mechanic.
    This is about 5% of the story, I didn't mention what several mechanics found. Duane W

• Ce
      12th of Jan, 2011

well i am lucky to say that i have done business with Barnettes Remanufactured Engines they do stand behind there work and if there is an issue with your engine give them a chance i do understand now that sometimes the engines have upgrades due to the manufacturer finding defects in there own product Barnettes remanufactured engines then takes it upon themselves to include the necessary upgrades though perfection in progress as always i give them an A+. i had issues with my first engine and given the chance they will corect the problem thats business and they understand that. As for Danny when my car went down he came four states down to get me and my car no complaints or problems replaced enginecorrected the manufacturer defects so Far so good Thank You Danny and Tim for being patient and professional and gettingmy dodge charger back on the road. If you have a bad dodge engine they can fix it and build it better thank you

• Ba
      20th of Feb, 2011

Beware of Barnette engines. Warranty seems to always be blame installer, then claim no fault, so customer pays more money. They do not stand behind their products or have any kind of certified technical staff on hand. They are either in way over their heads with all the new OHC motors they are trying to build or just rip off artists. Maybe both? There are a lot of better places to get your engine from.

• Rd
      24th of Feb, 2011
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

I bought an engine from Barnette's in Virginia and could not be happier. They built my engine to order, and shipped it to me within the explained time frame. My core was not any good, so I had to pay the core fee, but they allowed 30 days before charging me the core fee. My car is running great. My mechanic could not believe the quality of the product I recieved for the amount of money I paid. Trhis is an awesome company to do business with!!!

• Ca
      28th of Jun, 2011

A great company to do business with. I have put a lot of engines in cars, Barnettes builds a great product. I will be a repeat buyer for sure.

• Te
      15th of Jul, 2011

that is true they are lyer and theieves, had a new motor shipped two weeks late/put motor in and started it up/no oil pressure/called them they said they would pay for shipping and for the mech/2 weeks later they called looking for credit card/said this is all my problem/so i gave credit card to get back/i called them they said they would give money back/they did not/they said dont trying stopping credit payment they would come and take my truck if i did/the owner is a real ### and so is joyce/do not buy motors from them/there work sucks/and they all lye

• Nh
      28th of Jul, 2011

Barnettes engines sent me an engine that was so bad I couldn't believe it. I did not want another engine from them and took a lose. Valve guides loose, valve seats out of round, valve springs too weak that even shimming wouldn't help. Rods knocked, a tear down showed a pitted crankshaft that was polished, when it should have been ground. I wrote them to check on quality control and that I would re do the engine myself. All I asked for was a labor payment. I sent pictures and letters from my rebuilder(He was so busy he couldn't do my engine, I am so sorry I didn't wait), I got a very poor "give a damn attitude". I would not buy from them and for anyone who did get an engine that runs all I can say is keep on praying...

• Tr
      3rd of Aug, 2011

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY THESE ARE TRUE EVENTS. THE GOOD REPLIES ARE WRITTEN BY THE SCAM ARTISTS BARNETTES they send your motor late and the workmanship is horrible!!! They dont honor their word or warranty. JIM/JOYCE/WD BARNETTE or DANNY they are all liers and theives who dont return phone calls yell and scream at you on the phone becuase they know their doing shadey business dealing which cost the consumer more money in the long run They sent my motor out without an oil pan. the cylider heads are/were bad i went to another machine shop to fix the problem cuase i want nothing more to do with this company. I repeat...THIS COMPANY WILL GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND, TAKE YOUR MONEY, POOR WORKMANSHIP, WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY, NO RESPECT FOR THE CONSUMER BAD, DISHONEST BARNETTES ENGINES. WILL POST PICTUERS SOON

• Nh
      24th of Aug, 2011

absolutely true. When craftmanship gets poor and they dont care what went wrong and have a give a damn attitude, its time for them to go out of business.

• Dd
      30th of Dec, 2011

I just bought an engine from Bernette's. My mechanic couldn't figure out a problem, I was stumped as well as he was. I called Bernette's, talked to Joyce on the situation. They not only acted on my problem, Danny, the owner, actually drove and picked my vehicle up and took it to their shop.{ 6 hours away }.the very next morning I received a call from Joyce to find it was error of MECH. They, { Bernette's} finished my build and delivered my vehicle to me. Jasper nor any other major engine builder would have done this. Not everyone can please everyone, but I give this Company 5 stars and they will do all of my work in the future
    and would recommend any and all to use.

• Kw
      25th of Jun, 2012

Ok..This has to be the biggest Rip Off company in the state of Virginia..I mean we live in the USA right. What is wrong with these people. We paid for this engine in full by the end of May...Still no Engine!!! Today is June 26th. They keep telling me the engine will be shipped on Monday or Tuesday or It will be here Friday .This has been going on for 3 weeks...This part was wrong or the block was bad or something else was wrong...Run around Over and Over and Over!!! I called again today and Bridgett told me she would call me back in 10 to 20 minutes..guess what no call ..Surprise..oh yes we went to the shop on our way back from the beach on Friday the 22nd. They said the took it to the trucking company that day...NOT!!! Beleive me THIS IS A RIP OFF COMPANY, !!! DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!! IF MY MONEY IS NOT BACK IN MY ACCOUNT WITHIN 24 HOURS I AM CALLING THE POLICE AND FILING A REPORT!!! there is so much more I am just tired of the whole mess. A BUNCH OS LIARS ...They will not call you back But they will give you the run around and NO ENGINE, , we have been without a truck for a month and a half now...Any way DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Big RIP OFF!!!

• Cl
      6th of Aug, 2012

If your looking to put a motor in your car or truck, you will do better by rebuilding it yourself rather then sending it to barnette's half fix a engine. I CLaudell Mack paid these awful folks 3850 to fix my engine. I got back a motor that used 2 quarts of oils
    Every two weeks. The kicker is when I sent it back theses fools told me
    The engine was installed bad and the motor over heated. Be mindful that the motor used oil as soon as I got it. Please never use this company for anything they all or liars and the warranty they give you is not worth the paper it is printed on. They blame everyone else other then themselves. Awful!!! This company needs to be out of service.
    I am thinking about buying a billboard in VA. telling people how awful this place is and do not give them the chance
    To rip them off like they did me.

• Bu
      25th of Aug, 2012

All these stories sound familiar. I too purchased a motor from Barnettes - it took a month to get and after less than 4000 miles - catastrophic failure. Of course they are blaming it on the installation. They said the timing belt came off resulting in damage to the motor - how do they know that when I didn't send the timing belt? They sent me a bunch of pictures. How do I even know if its my motor they took a picture of? it seems to me they spent more time trying to figure out how to blame someone else than to actually solve the problem

25th of Aug, 2012

Charging $220 automatically for the extension is a cheating. JOI phone should provide option to customers whether to extend or not. I see tons of complains all over internet about JOI phone. I expect some government agency should take consumer action against JOI phone.

• Re
      10th of Sep, 2012

I recently bought a VQ35 Rev-Up engine from Barnette's engine. I have had nothing but top-of-the-line, professional treatment from Joyce. She answered all of my questions, [ At least several hundred] treated me with respect, and help calm my nerves after I read some of these horrible reviews. I cant speak for the unhappy people who took their time to post negative reviews about Barnettes. I can only give my opinion on how well I was treated. This weekend my motor will be installed and I can look forward to contacting Joyce with the good news. And I will update my experience with this company. But so far highly pleased!

10th of Sep, 2012

YES IT IS A BAD PLACE TO BY A ENGINE HAD BAD HEAD 8000 MILES THEY USE USED HEAD BOLTS DO NOT BUY THERE ENGINE THEY HAVE A ### WARRANTY IS A SCAM THEY WILL ONLY PAY 550.00 FOR ANY THING THAT GOES OUT ON ENGINE IF YOU CAN TALK TO ANY ONE IF YOU DO THEY DO NOT KNOW ANY THING ABOUT A ENGINE THE RUN AROUND I WISH I WOULD KNOW BEFORE I SPENT MY MONEY

• Za
      24th of Sep, 2012

I have experienced the exact same thing that everyone else on here has complained about. I purhased an engine from them and put 10k on it before it blew up. They sent me a motor that had bad rings and/or bad boring of cylinders. After getting the car out of the shop I began to have issues a month later. The motor was spark knocking and eventually started to misfire. I brought the car to the shop and they went through everything that could cause the detonation (maf sensor, pcv valve, egr valve, coil packs, injectors, etc) and they could not find an issue with any. They pulled the spark plugs out and cylinder 1's plug was soaked in oil. After calling Barnettes countless times they kept telling my mechanic to do different tests on the engine after every call. All of the issues were lead to poor craftsmenship of the motor. They then said they wanted pictures of the heat tabs to make sure the motor never overheated. My mechanic used a snake camera to take a picture and sent it to them. They then said the picture wasn't clear enough and wanted me to either pay to have my engine shipped so their mechanics can look at or pay to have the whole car towed to them! This company is a scam and has no intentions of honoring a warranty or helping the customer. We did all of their tests they asked and finally gave up as it was getting no where and they weren't going to help. Save yourself the hassle and get a motor from jasper, lkq, etc.

• Ti
      25th of Sep, 2012

I think we should get together, hire a lawyer and sue Barnettes. This company is getting away with doing this over and over again! Its time to put a stop to it and show this company ripping off innocent people has come to an end! Let me know if anyone here is interested. The more the better! We still have our engine, rusted bolts and all. I refused to send it back. I knew from my conversations with Joyce there was no way in hell Barnettes was going to warranty their product! Joyce actually suggested I send my car with the blown engine to them! Are you serious, I have NEVER heard of such a thing! This company should be put out of business and payback everyone and then some!

• Ti
      25th of Sep, 2012

FYI JASPERS has a ONE TIME NO FAULT WARRANTY! Word of mouth will kill a business so use yours. Tell everyone and post on blogs so that hopefully you can help one person from being scammed and keep Barnettes from making money off some other poor soul like they have done to so many others. Just used JASPERS for a tranny in my Acura. Received a defective tranny and without hesitation, testing, OR countless back and forth phone calls, JASPERS had a new tranny delivered the NEXT DAY to my mechanic! Heck Barnettes won't even call me back!
    **BUYER BEWARE DO NOT USE BARNETTES** p.s. Barnettes is not a member of the BBB...can you see why?!