Barleycroft Kennels / Poor Breeder

3-5 Oxford, PA, United States Review updated:

We adopted our dog Bella from Barbara, Goldendoodle breeder and owner of Barleycroft Kennels in Oxford, PA in 2006. Approximately two years later, in 2008, she developed Type 2 diabetes, considered very rare for a dog so young. We immediately contacted Barbara to explain the situation and asked for a refund of the cost of the dog to help defray the expense of raising a diabetic dog. At that time she acted somewhat defensive, but agreed to a 50% refund. Time went by and we eventually received a 1/3 refund. Barbara explained that she felt the diabetes was not her responsibility and was providing a small refund as a courtesy. Bella recently passed away (December, 2012) at the age of six. We were never truly able to completely stabilize her over the past 4 years and contracted Cushing's Disease in addition to her diabetes. Needless to say a very unhealthy pet. We're writing this review because we felt that a responsible breeder would have taken a greater interest in the situation and at a minimum provided a full refund.

Gu

Comments

• +1 Votes

Wow diabetes was the dogs diet. Cushings disease... It happens. How come dog buyers treat dogs like products and make complaints.

• Li
      25th of Apr, 2017

I purchased a dog from them in 2003. Later in life he did have problems of his own, but I would not say the breeder had anything to do with it. Dogs get things it's a fact of life. Mine passed away at recently from pulmonary hypertension and heart failure. I got almost 14 wonderful years with him. And yes in his lifetime I did spend a lot of money on his health but I would not blame the breeder for selling me a defective dog. Stuff happens and there are no guarantees in life.

• Jh
      23rd of Oct, 2018

We purchased our Goldendoodle from Barleycroft and he'll be 11 years old in December 2018. He was everything they described on the website when we first saw him, all the puppies were well socialized, clean and made it very hard for us to chose. He has had no significant health issues related to the breeder. He is the best dog we have ever had, wants to be with us, is a people dog and gets along with all kinds of animals.

• Je
      30th of Oct, 2018

@Jhoeh Jhoeh -

We are currently looking through breeders to hopefully purchase a dog this summer. Can you please email so I can discuss your experience - This is our first time ever purchasing a dog from a breeder and of course have heard horror stories - so trying our best to do as much research as possible. jallegra413@verizon.net.

Thanks so much!!!

• Do
      13th of Dec, 2018

We have gotten 2 AMAZING goldendoodles from Barbara at Barleycroft Kennels! I would recommend her kennel and breeding practices 100x times over ! After doing a ton of research on the breed and many breeders, we chose Barleycroft. Our dogs have been nothing short of AMAZING! Our first goldendoodle, Kobie was a certified TDI Therapy Dog making his rounds in senior centers, elementary schools, our children hospital ICU and pediatric cancer unit.

Our daughter did a college presentation on Barleycroft Kennels practices vs irresponsibly breeders. The comparison was astonishing!
    We give Barleycroft 5 stars!