Author house / ripped me off

1 1663 Liberty DriveBloomington, United States Review updated:

I paid them $2300. to self publish a book and I find out that I'm getting little in royalties from my own book. I could understnad if they published that wihtout money from me. But I gave them ALOT for nothing in return. They said I approved only getting less than 2.00 a book, they also said I approved 22.00 onAmazon and Barnes and NOble. but when I got the price sheet. I was told 13.00 for my hard cover book, and 8 for my soft cover. I would have never approved such a thing. I was scammed!
They hope I come back and have a second book published. Oh the bonuses I will get they say. Places like Amazon.com, and barnes and Noble are profiting big off the book I paid so much to get published. They have quite a raquet going and probably will never get caught. I heard that they are cheating the IRS too, They know how to write things and do things that looks legal and up front. I hope they fall.

Cl

Comments

• Im
      9th of Apr, 2009

I trusted Author house to publish my first book. In the end, the joke was on me. A very expensive joke. Take the advice of someone who was taken. Taken by what can only be described as a modern day confidence game. If you deal with Author house, like me, the joke will be on you.

• Mo
      3rd of May, 2009

I agree. I have been dealing with AuthorHouse for about a year and a half. The most incompetent organization I have ever worked with. Many mistakes, no customer support, only focused on charging authors. Makes me want to create a publishing company to compete against them.

• Vi
      6th of May, 2009

I signed a deal with Trafford publishing of BC Canada to publish my book and now I have found out that my Money has been taken by Author solutions of Indiana. I am at a loss and don't not know what to do. I have left several messages but every body is passing the buck. Can any body help me, please ?
    Vinod Luthra

21st of May, 2009

Maybe it's because your book sucks. Or that you're an idiot for not getting it published at a real publishing house.

• Ge
      5th of Jun, 2009

I too, am very disappointed with the treatment I received. I published my first children's book recently. Paid 4, 000 UKP in total and really have had a lot of problems with them. Huge errors in the first print, so I had to pay to have it reprinted (e.g. no page numbering, chapter titles left off in places and book started on left hand side instead of right hand page). I got almost nothing for the 2, 000 UKP I paid for publicist services and many other important things, too numerous to mention. I was about ready to forget about trying to publish my second book in a series, but thankfully I have now been approached by an authentic publisher and the second one is being published with them (AND I am getting paid).

• Cl
      16th of Aug, 2009

To Monte,

I was thinking about starting my own private publishing company too. Wana be my partner?

• Cl
      16th of Aug, 2009

To George,

Who is your new publisher, and how can I get them to hook me up?

• Sc
      3rd of Sep, 2009

If I get anywhere, will keep u posted & hope you would do the same. Thanks!
    Best, Katie Davis-Steward

• Rl
      5th of Sep, 2009

Try working for them. They pay us about $10 an hour, push us to get 'titles live, ' gave employees final warnings without any prior warnings to avoid pay raises, health insurance sucks there and no one can afford it, they keep buying companies and "in-source" (their term to keep their tax abatement) to the Philippines and morale is low. You think as a write you have it bad through Author Solutions? Try being on the inside. It's like a sweat shop.

• To
      24th of Sep, 2009

I can agree with most of the comments on Authorhouse. I had a book published by them, it was a huge mistake caused by my naivety about publishing. It cost me a lot of money and made 'Authorhouse' a great deal of money as I consider I was scammed, I was lied to, misinformed and my personal mail was opened. Additionally, my royalties never arrived on time and I had to chase every time they were due and at the time of writing this I am still owed two payments.
    I cancelled my contract with Authorhouse and have re-printed my book at a fraction of the cost I was paying to Authorhouse. They take peoples lives and stories and make money for themselves. The author ends up with very little. Do other potential authors a favour and tell the world.

• Ve
      12th of Oct, 2009

Can I please have the email addresses of all authors scammed by author house especially in relation to royalty issues. I was also scammed by author house. My email address is atiomov@yahoo.com

• Ta
      16th of Oct, 2009

Is there a website for REAL publishers??? Anyone?

• Bi
      8th of Nov, 2009

Everything is true about Author House. I published my book with them. It went live in November, 2008. Author House is stealing my royaltie's. Amazon. Com., Ingram's, ISBN agency and other co -conspirator's are involved. The Attorney General in Indiana has tons of complaints against Author House. I pray that the Feds get Author House and everyone that is involved for tax fraud against the IRS. It's coming. I can feel it.

I have signed a retainer with a class action law firm in Chicago against Author House. This law firm would like to hear from you.
    Call the Kamber Edelson law firm in Chicago. Ask for Michael Aschenbrener at 312-589-6379. He will send you an retainer to sign at no cost to you. It is a contingency.

• Sm
      17th of Mar, 2010

TO TODD LIDDICOAT:

How were you scammed? How were you lied to? How were you misinformed?

Most important question of all, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT AUTHORHOUSE TO DO FOR YOU? Do you really understand how they do things? Do you even know the difference between SELF-PUBLISHING & TRADITIONAL PUBLISHING? This is where people usually get disappointed because they assume things too much and they don't ask outright. I'm not saying that everything is your fault because the consultant that you talked to might not have explained things properly and gave you a wrong idea. He or she may have painted a really good picture about how much you can get if you publish with them.

The thing here is that self-publishers help authors get published, not sell their books. They can help you sell books through marketing but that also depends on the book--whether the book has quality or not. Because even if the book is packaged in the best way possible but the book sucks or doesn't make sense, why would people buy it, right?

Think people.

• Th
      19th of Mar, 2010

Maybe your book is not selling well that's why you dont have royalty. Why dont you try to have your book reviewed by professionals if you need something to fix it.

I published my book from author house and have no problem. My book sales is great.

I know, good for me. I hope you have a great book same as mine.

Good luck!!

• Re
      3rd of Apr, 2010

AUTHOR SOLUTIONS FRAUD
    Customers beware….!!!
    Investors Beware….!!!

This is a preditory company and it prays of the dreams of hard working people.

As a former executive with this company, I can tell you that the "current" business model is an absolute joke. Not to mention that this is a customer rip-off of intergalactic proportions. The (CEO) Kevin Weiss has been under legal / ethical scrutiny before, and must be smoking crack when he dreamt up this forecasting plan for 2010.

Try Googling "Kevin Weiss Fraud" and see what you read...oh sure he wasn't "convicted"...

• Ol
      15th of Apr, 2010

ATTENTION: AuthorHouse, Trafford, ExLibris, IUniverse and several others are not all THE SAME COMPANY. They are based in Bloomington, Indinaa. STAY AWAY.

• La
      6th of May, 2010

Note to 'real people' re previous post. You said

>> This is a preditory company and it prays of the dreams of hard working people.

If you really were an executive with this company, no wonder there are issues. Three misspellings in a single sentence. Let us hope you don't also fashion yourself a writer.

Yes, authorhouse nickels and dimes you for all you're worth if you give them your book. It's what they do and from what I see, they aren't trying to tell you otherwise. 99.9% of the books they publish suck. That's why they weren't published by a respectable house in the first place and why they don't sell.

If you open a store on a desolate road and sell cheap crap and nobody comes in and buys anything, would you sue the guy who built the building? The one who put up your sign? You seem to be saying that lots of people are driving by, so you must be selling something. Your vendors must be ripping you off.

• 24
      26th of Nov, 2010

Risk 84,
    I just have 1 question, are they keeping royalties from authors?

• Li
      17th of May, 2011

Has any author recently signed a book contract with positive results with Author House? I am currently deciding which self publishing company to work with. Any advice? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a company that actually delivers what they promise, and what you paid for???? Please help!

Lip Gloss Girl