Apria Healthcare / illegal practices

1 LAS CRUCES, NM, United States Review updated:

In Oct 2009, my son was very ill and needed a nebulizer which was prescribed by his doctor. The doctor sent us to Apria Healthcare for that Nebulizer. I was told upon arrival that since they didn't "accept" my primary health insurance, they would accept the secondary insurance. Because the "clerk" didn't file the paperwork properly (after many calls from me to rectify the situation), my secondary insurance denied the claim. Thus causing Apria to send my 15 YEAR OLD MINOR to a collection agency! Received a letter from them on Saturday...the letter was dated a month ago. When I called Apria to complain, all I got was the "run around" and rudeness.

Sa

Comments

• Wm
      7th of Apr, 2011

Norman Payson (CEO Apria HealthCare) has previously been Chief Executive Officer of two publicly traded health plans, Oxford Health Plans as the "turnaround CEO" (1998-2002) and Healthsource, Inc. as co-founder and CEO (1985-1997). Prior to Healthsource, Dr. Payson was Chief Executive Officer and Medical Director of a 120-doctor physician group practice. He became the “Darling of the HMOs” by, first, dropping all the sick customers who were using the insurance, next, raising the premiums of the healthy customers and, then, refusing to cover new people with pre-existing conditions. Sure enough, the HMO became Profitable! With the increase in profits and fewer customers, he was also able to downsize the administrative staff. Of course, those tactics will soon be illegal with the new government Health Care Program.
    While at Oxford Health Plans, Norm was paid $73 Million annually as well as realizing $115, 375, 414 after exercising his stock options in the company. His salary at Apria is well over that and his net worth is estimated at $1 Billion.
    Is this a Great Country or Not?
    Normally, doctors are not as greedy as Norman is. I will say, in his defense, that he did give $2, 000 to his synagogue one year. Tactics like Dr. Payson do conform to the personality traits called “Sociopathic.” A characteristic trait normally found in criminals.