Apartment Source / We just want our $3000 back

1 2638 n. HalstedChicago, IL, United States Review updated:

Parties involved:

"Stamatios Shinas" [protected] = the guy we gave our money too and showed us the place allegedly works for Apartment Source

"Apartment Source" 2938 N. Halsted [protected]. Workers: Derrick realtor at Apartment Source and nephew of owner of apartment we were renting; Todd Lawrence, Manager Apartment Source; Stew Miller, Owner of Apartment Source

We just want our $3000 back. March 28th I gave Stamatios Shinas a realtor at Apartment Source $3000 cash for 1 month's rent 1 month security and pet deposit. I wanted to give cash because I wanted to move in by the next day and a check will take 3-4 business days to clear. The rent we discussed was $1, 400. The guy had the keys and security codes and showed us the place. He said we could move in 3/29. Stamatios gave us a receipt and lease application fee using the Apartment Source name. The apartment we viewed was on 4915 Winnemac in Chicago. When I was moving in Saturday night the people upstairs said what are you doing here? We're moving in no you're not I am on the phone with the owner and she knows nothing about this. How embarrassing you have all your stuff a truck it's night time and freezing. Now you're homeless and broke. SO the owner and her family came she said that her nephew Derrick works for Apartment Source. My BF spoke to Derrick he said he knew who Stamatios was that was his partner. That he worked with them and he has been MIA for 2 days. The aunt/owner was very pissed and the rent is actually $2000 a month and she said the guy has been showing the apartment without her knowledge. Derrick said he would call us by Sunday at 12pm to see if he can find us somewhere to live and handle this situation because at the time he was in Wisconsin. Well, he never did even though 3 of us were calling him all day Sunday. What's suspicious to me according to Apartment Source Mr. Todd Lawrence Stamatios stole the keys while he was at an interview and they were in the process of hiring him but were just waiting for his realtor license. How did this guy Stamatios steal the keys, steal the alarm code, and knew what address this place was at, steal the Apartment Source receipt pad and still Apartment Source Application forms. Damn what kind of interview were they conducting? I do not believe Apartment Source I think everyone is a scammer. But, I just do not think this Stamatios character is this dumb. We googled him he has a MySpace, Facebook, his family owns several business. I am just so confused. Now I am broke and have no place to live. On Monday I spoke to Todd Lawrence the Manager at Apartment Source. Like I mentioned he said the guy never worked there and they are not obligated to give us the money but I told him that Derrick said that the guy did work there. He said that Derrick misspoke. Also, I asked him why Derrick never called us back on Sunday like he said he was. He said that his attorney advised him not too. HMMMM so why was Todd Lawrence talking to me. Stamatios has been texting and calling me for days now proclaiming his innocence. Ozell (a friend) called Todd Lawrence also on Monday identified himself that he worked for Homeland Security and that he was calling unofficially because I was a friend of his. Todd than said that he would right us a check as long as we had a police report and a copy of the receipt Stamatios gave us. BF went there and the police came too. The police told him honestly I don't think you are going to get your money back. They even called Stew Miller the owner of the business and he said that he wasn't paying us the money back because it wasn't his responsibility and the guy doesn't work there. The police spoke to Derrick (Todd was not there) I spoke to the receptionist and ask why we weren't getting the check cut anymore. The receptionist specifically said the police said do not cut you a check because we fired Stamatios. FIRED...I thought he NEVER worked for you guys. The police will want to resolve this matter as quickly as possible they have murderers and rapist they are trying to catch. I doubt the police would have told him that. Stamatios says he gave the money to the office. I am not sure who to believe but I can definitely say something shady is going on. And the whole situation needs to investigated. They have an unsatisfactory record at BBB.org. I am taking this to the media and anyone who will listen until this matter is resolved and I find out who is the actual real culprit and who is telling the truth.

Va

Comments

• Ia
      11th of May, 2008

The Apartment Source is an extremely shady business. Todd Lawrence, a v.p. cannot handle his property. I don't understand how hard it is. I know people that manage property as a hobby, and this is Todd's full-time job and he is failing at it, miserably. I will not be surprised if he pisses off the wrong person and gets his throat slit.

Anyway, there has been SEVERAL burglaries, all of which are the Apartment Sources Property. There was no sign of forced entry, therefore someone has all of the keys. Its probably these Stamatios Shinas (a Greek guy that thinks pretends he's black, it's pretty funny). My two immediate neighbors have been robbed already. The first day I moved in, a black guy knocked on my back door, falsely claiming to be friends with my roommate. Later that day, he robbed the neighbors below me. Stamatios Shinas sold keys to this black guy, who is now robbing everyone who has not gotten their locks changed.

There's a whole lot more than this, that I don't want to waste my time discussing. There is actually an entire community of people who have it in for this Todd Lawrence guy, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding stuff online about him.

• Lb
      14th of May, 2008

Thank you for this post!! I just got an email from this guy yesterday (using the same phone number as listed here) claiming he can help me find a place. I put a posting up on Craigslist saying I needed a place. I was very close to calling him when I decided to google his name first. I'm so glad I did!!!

• Hk
      18th of May, 2008

Thank you soooo much for this nearly sent this guy $6000 this weekend but decided to google his name! Cant believe it! He is always replying to ads on craigslist! Thank you again!

• Ya
      12th of Aug, 2008

I worked for this guy and he ropped me off he owes me at least $1, 300, he only paid me $100.00, I am taking him to small claims.

Anyone else have information on this guy please contact me!

• Sh
      15th of Aug, 2008

We all need to go to the media he just took $3000 from me also I am going to be calling the media today maybe if we all get together we might get things done contact me for more info

• Dr
      26th of Sep, 2008

I am working for a comapy that just got scamed by Sam Stimatios . Please contact me to discuss any further details.

• Lo
      27th of Sep, 2008

this loser tried scamming me while working at a century 21. Palatine police were able to track him down and got my money back. I guess he had to pay back at least one business that was scammed by him as well. This was all back in late June, early July. Send me an email if you want more info/if he is still scamming. I really hate this fat ugly turd.

• Sc
      7th of Jul, 2009

Stamatios Shinas must be really hard up for money. According to the Chicago Tribune, he is suing over an incident where he was hazed during football practice back in 1999.

• Me
      14th of Jul, 2009

He may be hard up for money, as are many people these days...but only CRIMINALS answer with CRIME. Stamatios Shinas is part of a much larger and long time running criminal lineage. I am yet another victim of “Troop Property in the Sky” (as I like to call it). There is too much to reveal about Troop PS at this time. [Interestingly enough, that name is accurately and quite appropriately interchangeable with “Troop Poop Scoop”]. Please feel free to join me in officially awarding them with every/any of these jazzy identifiers! However, I know another reason for the “off” timing of the filing of the hazing incident…He was already on probation (not surprisingly, for robbery/theft) at the time he (along with Troop PS) perpetrated the offense preyed upon me. The hazing lawsuit is conveniently brought about just in time for Stamatio’s court date (this week!) for being found GUILY of violating his probation. Playing the sympathy card so swiftly is used all too often by criminals. Unfortunately his maximum sentence is too weak to mention, especially given the fact that the criminals minds of Troop PS are classifiably devotees and/or born & bred to be successful criminals (to them, crime is their one and only job).

• Sc
      24th of Jul, 2009

i should have pressed charges against him when he committed BANK FRAUD and stole my debit card.

• Tu
      29th of Dec, 2009

I know Stamatios Shinas when he was working at a bar/restaurant near Stevenson High School. The kid was shady then and will always be shady. He claimed to have more than 2 cars but always needed a ride home from work and always asked to be dropped off a couple of houses away (we never knew where he lived). He claimed to be a real estate agent but knew very little about the business. Always promised things but never came though.

He is a bad person. If he isn't in jail by now ... he will be soon.

• Dl
      18th of Dec, 2013

This guy is a professional scam/ con artist I'm so glad I read all this information!! He will rot in hell with the devil I swear!!

• Da
      28th of Mar, 2017

This shad-ball was well known for conning and robbing high school students too. Source: I grew up in the same town as him.