AmSouth / NSF Charges

I recently made a deposit at my local branch, cash. It showed up as a ledger balance of the deposit amount + the balance of my account on the same day as my deposit. This led me to believe the funds were available, so I purchased a plane fare using my ATM card the same evening. The next morning, to my dismay, the bank had charged me NSF charges on the purchase, even though the funds were in their possession, and marked in my account as being in the account. They claim the funds were not available at the time, so they did not reverse the NSF charges. This bank says they do not post the funds until the next business day. But if that is true, then how did it show up in my ledger balance. It seems that they posted the funds, but held back availability for some reason. This seems very unethical to me. The bottom line is, the bank was showing the funds as deposited, but not available. I deposited cash. Cash should be available immediately. NOT with this bank. This seems very unethical.

Is there anyway for me to recover the NSF charges, which ended up totaling $108.00. In these hard times, I can not afford this, and it seems misleading the way they showed it in my ledger balance, but said they were not available for transactions.
Please help

More AmSouth Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Je
  4th of May, 2007

I too have a problem with Amsouth. If you figure out who can get things done please let me know. They pulled funds for overdraft protection even though there were funds in my account to cover what came in and charged me $20. They say they always pull funds if your available goes down; however, they had never done this before and didn't do this afterwards when the same situation occurred. First, they said they would refund me the $20 and 2 weeks later when some things bounced I realized they had never credited me the $20. This in turn caused $144 more in fees and after all this, now they say they are not refunding the $20 and since they're not refunding the $20 the overdrafts would have occurred anyway so I'm responsible for them too. Ridiculous, 1st they're going to refund the $20 but since they didn't and caused things to be overdrawn now they say those $20 weren't a bank error either. I tried speaking to various people but somehow it's never the banks fault. I guess it's not their fault they opened the wrong type of account when I opened my account and I guess it's not their fault that they miscalculated my interest payment and shorted me over $100 either... interesting.