Amigo Energy / Illegal billing

Amigo energy is terrible. I do not know how they are in business.Not only, did they raise rates from .11 to .24 in a span of 2 months, We do not live in the city limits and they have been charging us city sales tax for over a year. When I realized what was happening, we immediately switched but also contacted them. They said they were not doing anything about it and a final bill had been sent. I had tried contacting them several times before and was always told someone would call me back. That never happened. I also sent numerous emails. I have filed a formal complaint with the PUC. I also have emailed all of the news media and the VP of AMigo. Someone needs to bring attention to this crooked company. We withheld less than 30% of the final bill until someone would call us and tell us if they owed us or we owed them. Instead not even a week after we made our final payment, they had some creditor begin to call. I encourage all of you who are having trouble with them to go to the PUC, the BBB, and email the vice president and the media!

Bl

Comments

• Cd
      10th of Sep, 2008

Exactly what happened to me! Amigo Energy is the worst and they are nobody's amigo! Their rate doubled one month to the next, and when I called to complain, they said the new rates were published on their website. I realize they did nothing illegal, but it traps trusting customer into a technicality that Amigo grossly takes advantage of. I knew my variable rate changed month-to-month up or down by a few cents, but never thought they would be indecent enough to double my rate so abruptly!

I decided to split my final bill payments over two months because it was the largest electric bill I've ever had! I wrote the BBB but Amigo employs their legal department to essentially wear me out by repeatedly telling me that they are within their rights, that I owe them, they don't owe me any further explanation and that I should pay up. When I reply that I am not satisfied with the answer, they simply reply with the same thing. That way, when you get tired of complaining, the BBB closes the case as "resolved." Soon after I made my first payment, just a month after the final bill date, I started receiving daily calls from some collection agency in India, threatening me with a bad credit report if I didn't pay in full right away.

The moral? DON'T even try to switch to Amigo Energy!

• Je
      12th of Sep, 2008

Stay away, away, AWAY from Amigo Energy. My largest light bill was $313, and this was in an apartment with NO TV, NO w/d, NO stereo, no NOTHING!

15th of Oct, 2008

As I posted known Addr./Ph. # elsewhere in this Forum..
    I noted that I had no good email Addr. for Amigo...
    Maybe you could share your info .. & email for a V.P. ??
    It would help us all ..to put them on written notice !
    THX

• Ro
      19th of Nov, 2008

I would check with the city for which Amigo was claiming to collect taxes. If Amigo has been colllecting this revenue but not submitting it to this city they are committing fraud. This city may be interested in pressing charges.

• Pa
      21st of Nov, 2008

i called amigo about a problem and an agent named david hung up on me when i told him my problem. i asked for a supervisor and he said no and hung up. i made a big mistake getting involved with amigo... be careful ..don, t get fooled...

25th of Nov, 2008

This company just sucks. Like everyone else, they took over my electricity service from Natgional Power Co., never sent me any notice whatsoever, and suddenly, they doubled my rates. I got a $300+ electric bill for one month in a 550 sq. ft. apartment! My previous highest bill was about $160.

I also had the hang-ups happen to me after attempting 4 times to contact them to no avail. Seriously, this company is a joke!