American Reading Club / Such a scam!

American Reading Club in Cumming GA is such a scam. I've tried to cancel my account before and even got a confirmation number but they just recently billed me again. They call me at least once a week telling me that my subscrption is up and I will not be getting anymore phone calls or getting billed but they keep calling. I swear does anyone have any advice on how to deal with these people

Ry

Comments

18th of Nov, 2008

I had them call me. And they charged my debit card, so I just now changed my debit card and told my bank that I didn't know who these people where and the bank will be giving me back my money and changing my debit card. Hopefully this works!!!

If anyone knows what to do let me know.
    THANK GOD IT'S NOT MY CREDIT CARD!!!

• As
      23rd of Nov, 2008

Yeah THey have been screwing me for months now... they said the only way to cancel is by giving them 200 some dollars..which im not going to do...I have already canceled my card and im shutting down my bank account. They were only charging 24.99 at first than last month they charged 100.61 and said i agreeded to that after about a week of fighing they said they would remiburse which they did a month later. I have only recieved ONE magazine out of the SIX that i ordered...let them take me to collections I DONT CARE!!! im so sick of these people taking money out of my account all the time...they overdrawled my bank account a bunch, im tired of them. I hope someone has some really good luck and does finally shut these people down.

• Be
      2nd of Dec, 2008

They are crooks...Call the Atlanta BBB ASAP!! Close your debit or credit card and change the number!!! They tell you one price then charge another. If you did not receive a letter of confirmation with the right to cancel they are GROSSLY in the wrong!!! The BBB said they are supposed to send that to you!! Call the BBB and get these crooks busted!

• He
      8th of Dec, 2008

Go with Amy, David, and John's advice and call them ASAP- if I didn't I would have gotten worse trouble.

See how I did it:
    After 12 phone calls to them all by general complaint, cutsomer service to all three major heads: Janae, Susie, and Chris. I got to speak to Susie. Susie told me about the company got the information, apologized for the phone call, gave me an immediate refund and stated that I owed nothing because the debit card # said it was pending. On pending if you call to get money back they are required to. After I also told her I filed with FDIC, my bank etc. she closed it down for good. She stated if I had given her the debit after she cleared the check, it would have required a dispute to get the money back, she sternly stated never to give out credit card or debit info, and how to prevent this again. She even removed my phone number and name from her computer. Chris then called and I told him about what happened with Susie. He apologized as well. I should get the refund by the end of 24-48 days.

I ended up lucky thanks to advice on this board- whatever you do never answer an anauthorized call, read all your rights, and register with gov. agencies for future protection. Also try to find the company's business ids online- all companies are required to by BBB and all the ones with complaints are marked on the BBB site in red with contact info. Also request a BBB report on the phone for free that was also how I got the steps to appeal.

Also always check internet creditentials- many of these contest ideas are fake and register you for this stuff. The ARC may not have a website but there is a promo called the Preferred Readers Network- most contests automatically enter you in there and obtain your credit info which was exactly what Chris said. The Preferred Readers Network is owned by ARC's parent company- so be careful! Even Susie warned me about that- fortuntately the ARC complied with me.

Never pay them and check to see if it is pending especially on debit cards. With credit cards- flag them to the company, provide contact info about them to the company, and dispute all charges. On pending they get no money so make sure t0 tell ARC about the rules you read here, mention that it was obtained without permission, and the steps you took. They'll be forced to comply and they rather give that money and your info back to you to avoid further action- a major sign that they are crooks, know exactly what they did was wrong, and the reports against them.

Also ask them to remove your number and never contact you again- when you mean business they'll comply!

Be sure to stay away!

Good luck to you.

• He
      11th of Dec, 2008

Got packet but i threw it away and contacted through the main number. Hopefully they answer- because i got the money back but the packet was dated 3 ago the day i cancelled. So, after I call them should I report to the bank again.

• Au
      12th of Dec, 2008

So this "company" got in touch with me back on Dec. 2, and like most, completetly tricked me into this "deal" of theirs, I was told I'd only be paying 16 and something cents for the first 15 months. Well a week later, I get a paper saying welcome and all this bs and how I was really being charged almost 70 dollars for the first 15 months, so in total I'd be paying over 1K for this. I called to cancel and they said I made a verbal agreement and that since I had agreed that they already paid for my magazines which I thought was total crap. So they said they'd give me the "employee discount" for 19.99 a month for 21 months, a total of about 400 for the whole thing. THEN later that day I called to switch magazines and it was as if I never made the phone call earlier because my payments hadn't changed, then they proceed to tell me that even if they let me pay 19.99 for 21 months, I would still be charged 70 upfront. SO I've been wondering about how to get away from them lately, so earlier I checked my credit card account and saw that I still haven't been billed for my first 70 payment, so I called and told them I lost my card, so they canceled my account and opened a new one. So now my question is, is this ridiculous company going to sue me for not paying them when I haven't even received anything from them? THIS IS TOTAL BS! I should have never answered their stupid phone call.

• De
      20th of Jan, 2009

All I want to say is THANK YOU to this complaint board. My roomate called me last week and told me that when she checked the mail, I had about 6 magazines in there, including TWO Latina magazines. No offense to anybody on here, but I'm white and would have no reason to subscribe to that magazine. I noticed thru my online banking that in November and December that Magazines Inc in Cummings, GA had taken out $12 each month. I googled them and found this board. After reading all of these, getting the advice off of here and the other number (yeah, it's funny how that 800 number becomes disconnected, huh?!), I called and left a message at this number; (770) 889-6933. I said that I had contacted my bank and they would no longer let them make withdrawals from my account and that they were also launching an investigation into their company, and that I contacted my lawyer and they were looking into other complaints and suits filed against them, and that they advised me to file a complaint with the better business bureau in Georgia (since that's where their "company" is located).

Sure enough, they called me first thing the next morning. She asked if I had already contacted my bank, or if I was waiting to hear back from them first. I said, "no, I called them yesterday BEFORE I called you". NEVER LET THEM THINK THEY HAVE THE UPPER HAND! She said she cancelled my subscription (and said it was noted in the computer that I called and cancelled last September, but that all I cancelled was my add ons, which is crap because later she said I was only in there for 2 subscriptions!) and that it would take 7-10 days before the refund hit my account. This was last Thursday, the 15th. I checked my banking today and the deposit was made by them on Friday, the 16th. I've noticed that quite a few people on this board mentioned cancellation fees. I didn't have this problem at all. I hope this helps others, because this board helped me FINALLY GET RID OF THIS STUPID AMERICAN READING CLUB!!!

• Ye
      21st of Jan, 2009

I have the same situation with you guys, and i got advised from the lawyer online and here is what he told me:

"Normally, state consumer laws may allow a 3 day cancellation right to consumers for some purchases (but not all). In FL the state's Attorney's General indicates here that a consumer may have a 3 day right to cancel a purchase if the purchase is made for a continuing service, which may include a subscription. If this purchase was cancellable within 3 days and this company was called within the 3 days but they refused to cancel they may have violated the law. They may also have violated the law if they failed to state that the deal was cancelable within 3 days.

When an agreement/contract is made to use a debit card for payment, even if the card is cancelled, the consumer can still remain liable for payment as the contract is with the person for payment, not for payment only with a debit card. In turn, this may then harm a person's credit report. Therefore, to help assure this matter does not continue to pursue payment a consumer may need to take the company to court to argue that the contract was illegal, was entered under false pretenses or misrepresentation or other reasons that make the agreement voidable or illegal.

To obtain assistance with this matter you can try to contact the FL Attorney General's office http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/main/18c35b713adbd1ad85256cc90053b3bc!OpenDocument (there is a telephone number at the bottom of the page) to discuss the situation and to ask them what you can do to help correct this situation."

• Ri
      28th of Jan, 2009

I recieved a call this evening from someone calling private. Normally I don't answer calls marked private, but after 2 or 3 calls a day for days on end, I finally answered. He intruduced his company as "Publishers". I asked, "Who is 'Publishers' and he claimed, "Publishers Magazines". He said, "That I had filled out a survey on the internet and was found to be eligiable for a bonus subscription." I asked him, "What website are you afiliated with and what is your web address?" He then stated that thier company didn't have a website and he didn't know what particular website I had visted. I told him, "I don't give my info out on the internet or phone." He said, "Think about it and I'll call you back on Friday." I said, "Okay, but if you call private I will not answer." He then told me that someone from the American Reading Company (a.k.a. the American Reading Club) would call me on Friday. On Friday when they call I'm going to inform that person that our conversation will be recorded. And I also went to the websites of the magazines he named and under "contact us", I informed them that these people are affiliating their magazines with this scam.

• Ki
      20th of Mar, 2009

Charging my credit card without my approval after i cancelled my order 4 months earlier

10th of Apr, 2009

tried to cancel payment for credit card order nothing was shipped company is mishandling credit card orders need money returned to card can not get response from company

10th of Apr, 2009

company is awful misuse of credit cards tried to get response and money returned beware of this company never received nothing company is to be reported over and over

10th of Apr, 2009

this company needs to be put out of business, taking advantage of people, misuse of credit card funds etc very bad company beware of this company and all calls from them

• Dv
      28th of Apr, 2009

I agree. been waiting since october to receive magazines. still have not received anything i ordered.

1st of May, 2009

I see that a lot of you are complaining about ARC and other companies. The company that did this to me claims to be Reading America. Is this the same company? Is it the same phone number? Anyway, my story goes that they told me that nothing was official until I got their letter and agreed. They also told me that I could cancel anytime. So, I got the letter and it said that i only had three days to cancel, but the three days were already up by the time I got the info. Ive contacted my bank and they have put a stop to the payments, which Ive only had one so far. Thank you guys for providing this info, its been a lot of help. I just need to know how to contact Reading America if its different. Also, have any of you had trouble with identity theft from this?

• Fi
      2nd of May, 2009

HEY I AM CURRENTLY IN THIS SITUATION WITH THEM AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT. I ALREADY MADE THE FIRST PAYMENT AND THEN I TOLD THEM I WAS A STUDENT IN COLLEGE SO THEY REDUCED THE MONTHLY PAYMENTS. I DON'T WANT THE MAGAZINES ANYMORE AND I DON'T WANT THE GIFT CERTIFICATE EITHER. I NEED SERIOUS HELP ON HOW TO GET OUT OF THIS. JUST TODAY I WAS GOING TO MAKE A PAYMENT BUT NO ONE IS ANSWERING THE PHONES AND I KEEP GETTING HUNG UP ON. I JUST WANT OUT.

• Ar
      1st of Jun, 2009

Sorry...to say but i used to work there it is such a SCAM...i quit bc of the illegal and crooked stuff they do to people like you...

• Ai
      24th of Jun, 2009

I had the same problem with this company so i contacted my state attorney general and they pointed me to a sales solisitation act. It says that until you sign any aggrement and send that aggrement back the company they cannot legaly bill you or take any money from you. Also, any product sent to you is then considered free and you cannot be charged for it. Hope this helps you all out.

• Mo
      25th of Jun, 2009

yeah i know everyones feelings, i am also in trouble with them, some lady even called and said if i didn't pay she was going to turn me into my local DA's office. but anyway i noticed on my checking statement she apparently keeps taking 10 dollars here, 10 dollars thier, how can i get them to stop billing me? i dont wont thier stuff no more. i was so stupid for giving these guys my debit info. anyone know that 800 number they keep talking about to get in touch with the main people. i am going to turn them in to BBB. please email me with the number [protected]@yahoo.com. if anyone wants to take them down i am ready.

• Fr
      13th of Jul, 2009

7/13/09 Totally agree with everyone. ARC is completely unprofessional on so many levels and are past complete harassment. When I tried to cancel my "subscription" they told me I could not. Yet I had NOT SIGNED ANY PAPERWORK. I knew right then that they were not legit. They not only sent magazines that were not ordered by me but definitely of the odd nature to be sending me. Talk about crazy, they continued to bill my credit card over $65 per month for over a year! I JUST cancelled my card last month hoping to get rid of them. They now leave messages advising it is ARC's legal department and naturally using a man with a very very deep voice as to intimidate me. What I don't understand are all these complaints and the Better Business Bureau has not shut them down...Please feel free to contact me with advice. [protected]@comcast.net