American Education Servicesfails to return overpayments

K Review updated:

I recently had a conversation with an AES supervisor about the payoff of my law school loans. She gave me a final payoff figure that corresponded to the amount of the final payment due if my electronic bank transfer was completed in two days. I told her that I would have my bank do the transfer that very day. I asked her what happens if AES receives and processes my final payment a day early. How would my overpayment be handled? She told me that if the overpayment is more than $5.00, I would receive a reimbursement check from AES. But, if the overpayment is less than $5.00, AES would keep it.

If anyone has had this experience, I would very much like to talk with you. I am a class action attorney in California investigating claims against the company.

• Good Luck. Let me know how that works out for you. :)

• A
      Jan 20, 2012

let us do a class action against AES. I will filed the motion. in Florida.

• A
      Jan 20, 2012

if you read all the comments about the company you will definitely you will have a lot of people for the class action. count me in.

• T
      Mar 20, 2012

There is 1246.45 dollars that has vanished in cyber space or has been embezzled from a refund transaction from my student loan company (American Education Services). I accidentally made an over payment on my student loan account in February through my TD Bank bill pay service. I made an error by paying my mortgage payment (Arora Loan Services) in the amount of 1434.00 and some change to my student loan (American Education Services) - as you can see they both star with "A" and are right next to each other in the Bill pay service. I discovered the error a week after I had made it and contacted my bank (TD Bank) to see how I could get it fixed. My bank told me that I would have to get a refund issued from American Education Services (AES). So I called AES to request a refund. After getting the ring around and speaking to several reps - they finally told me I would have to request a letter from TD Bank stating an error was made and that a refund needed to be issued. I went back to the Bank and got the letter and faxed it over to AES. AES told me that it would take 5-7 business days to receive the refund. A week went bye and no refund was issued. I then called my bank to track the refund. The bank had no record of such refund. I called AES back and they state that the refund was issued electronically to "Citi Bank Home Access" where the original overpayment came from. AES states that Citi Bank Home Access is TD Banks 3rd party bill pay service. I went into the TD Bank branch to speak to a representative. The rep at TD Bank made several phone calls to try and track this refund in the amount of 1246.45 (which AES states they refunded to me back on 3/8/12). The rep was not getting any answers and was being told by TD Bank corporate office that they have no affiliation with Citi Bank Home Access and that is definately not their 3rd party bill pay company. The rep even got on the phone with the Manager (Keith) at AES and he kept telling my bank Rep that the refund was issued on 3/8/12 to Citi Bank Home Access and that we needed to contact them to find out where the payment is at. The rep from my bank told him several times that there was an error and that the refund was not issued to my account. If it was done electronically it would have hit my account instantly. The AES Manager then claims that it would take 3-7 weeks... WHAT??? The bank rep got very suspicious and started asking for phone numbers and mailing addresses to where the refund was issued and the AES Manager could not give him that info. AES refused to trace the transaction. TD Bank has put in a claim to try and investigate it. I have since then filed a claim with the BBB on AES. I have also went online to find that I am not the only one having fraud issues with American Education Services. There are several recent stories online with a similar twist of money missing.. or not being applied to the persons account. There is some type of fraud going on here.. and to date my refund of $1246.45 is no where to be found.