Alienware / Crap customer service and no computer

This is about the poor customer service at Alienware, I have left the sales reps names as their real names, because it was their lies and lack of responsibility that ruined what should have been by now 2.5 months later a PC.

As many people who are about to purchase an Alienware computer, I was excited! Yes, excited, im 21 work as a professional accountant, yet I was excited about the what I believed to be imminent receipt of my Alienware machine.

What I didn’t realise was that my excitement was about to turn from disappointment in to out right anger and remorse!

Back in August, after some time saving, I had finally raised enough funds to purchase a computer, not just any computer a gaming monster! I search around, weighing up my options and comparing prices, and most importantly customer service policies. I decided to go for the Alienware ALX computer, which had a price tag of £3,500 about $6,400. This was substantially more than every other site, but I knew (at least I thought I knew) that they had brilliant customer service, and since they had just been taken over by giants corporate muscle DELL, I assumed customer service would be brilliant.

Sadly I was wrong, after ordering in August, I heard nothing, the Alienware website sat at stage 3, payment processed. Alienware has a 10 stage system, which depicts at what stage of readiness the computer is at.

In around mid August it moved to say I was in Stage 5 production, at that point it stayed. After a few weeks of non movement, I send an email to customer services, asking why my computer, which as the website said would be read at the latest of 30 days. A week later, a reply email was returned, stating a part was missing and was on back order. The email did not state the part, or when I could expect it. I replied to this email, asking politely what part was missing, I never received a response.

In mid September, I was still sitting at stage 5, production, I decided this was not good enough, I picked up the phone and spoke to a women called Rachel, she told me it was a delay with the case, but it would arrive on the following Monday, and so I only had two weeks to wait.

The following week decided to add a sound card to my order, I telephoned Alienware and a German sales rep answered the phone, he was extremely rude and spoke poor English at best. He had no knowledge of the stock at Alienware and took nearly 30 minutes to tell me could not sort out adding a sound card. He said he would phone me on Monday, to confirm that a sound card would be added. The rep never phoned me back. In the end I spoke to Rachel once more, she told me that adding a sound card would put me right back to the start of the production queue, I hastily decided I no longer wanted a sound card. While I was on the phone to her, I asked her to confirm the status of my computer, she informed me she would have to speak to someone in production, and would phone me back later that evening. She never phoned me back.

I phoned again a few days to find out why Rachel had not phoned me, a women called Laura answered the phone, she said it was the water cooling that was actually missing, and they did not know when it would be received, she told me to phone them the following week to find out when it would be in, I said that was unacceptable, but this was barraged with false appologise and patronising “I understand sir” comments.

On Thursday of that week, I was reading numerous complaints about Alienware on the internet, just google Alienware complaints and you will see what I mean!

I was appalled by the sheer volume of complains and decided enough was a enough, and I phone up to cancel my order. I spoke to a woman called Kate, not wanting me to cancel my order Kate made up a whole list of lies on the spot, claiming my system was ready, she said it was ready to ship the following morning. I asked her to confirm this with me the following morning.

Kate did not phone me the following morning, so extremely angry now I phoned up Alienware and spoke to Laura again. Laura told me my system was not even in production and they had not even started to build it. In disgust I cancelled my order, I am in the process of complaining to the corporate ombusdsperson about the sales rep called Kate, as she blatantly lied to me.

At no point did Alienware inform me a part was missing, by email phone or otherwise.

No one at Alienware knew why my system was late.

The Alienware customer service reps, are liars, they are happy to make up stories to keep your money in the Alienware account, earning interest until you demand a refund.

There is no one at Alienware who specifically handles cases, which would make more sense.

Apparently at Alienware the “case”, “water cooling system” and “ready to ship” are all synonyms!

Also 30 days apparently means “when we damn well feel like it”!!!

The only thing Alienware did manage to do was refund me, but even that was not on time. I am very unimpressed with Alienware, I will never shop with them again, and I will advise anyone who is looking for a computer not to waste their time and money with Alienware, they are very good at taking money, but very poor at delievering goods or customer service.

So in conclusion, unless you are happy to received crap customer service and no computer, phone Alienware.

Aside from empty appologies, nobody ever contacted me to appologise for the crap they gave me........

A  21st of Oct, 2006 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I canceled my order with AW about a week after I made the order. I didn't even get to the point of having issues with them. I just flat out called them and canceled because I didn't want to even TRY to deal with them after all the horror stories, and from the impression I got, this seems like the best thing to do...

I still haven't received the money back yet, and they said it would take 3 to 5 days, but I have yet to see anything. I will give them another week, and if I don't see it, I'm getting my bank involved. At least I have an email from them saying that YES, the order WAS canceled.

I would highly recommend getting email or something in writing in them if ANYONE deals with AW, just to be on the safe side, so you can prove what's been done. Or...record the phone conversations. Use a speaker phone and something to record with. This will help when (not if) you run into issues...
A  27th of Oct, 2006 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
The exact same thing happened to me, except my wait was 4 months without receiving a computer, a phone call, or an email explaining the situation.

I could maybe have coped with the delays if Alienware had seen fit to communicate with me in any way, shape or form but apparently I'm not worthy of such small graces.

Every time I spoke to someone they gave me a different answer, ranging from "Your system will ship nex week" to "We haven't even started building it yet" to "Your system is fully built but (and this is the killer, as it was a supposedly tool-free case) we're waiting for the screws that hold your hard drives in place". Awesome.

God only knows why I left it so long before cancelling, but eventually I did, and I've never been happier about a decision in my life.
A  12th of Dec, 2006 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have to share my horrific experience that I have had with the Alienware Corporation.

My son, who is in the Navy, bought a computer from on June 5, 2006. He was told that it would ship within two weeks; he received it on July 15th. (The time line is an important factor here since my son was only going to be at his current location until July 30th). When the computer arrived it was not working right. After numerous attempts to fix it over the phone with tech support, he gave up and told them he just wanted to send it back and that he wanted his money back. This is when he finds out that the company would charge him a 15 % restocking fee even though they sent out a defective computer. So, we had no other choice but to send the computer back to them for repairs, but first they would send us out a disk that tech support thought might fix the computer. When the disk arrived, it was the wrong one and useless. So, on August 3rd, after a guarantee from them that they would fix the computer and have it back to us in 20 days, we sent the computer back. (At this point my son was getting ready to be deployed to Bah Rain, so again he needed to get the computer before he left the country and we were guaranteed that he would have it.)

Needless to say the company failed us. So, back on the phone to customer service to give them the new address that they would have to send the computer to, now we are told that once they fix the computer that it will take at least 8 weeks to ship it to him! Dealing with the lies from the people at this company has put me over the edge which has made for some pretty heated conversations and some very ugly words on my part. None of which I am proud of, but I have never had to deal with such an incompetent company before.

And it gets worse about the middle of September I call the company to find out when the computer will be fixed, at this point they tell me that the computer in going thru diagnostics and they will get back to me. As usual they don’t, so I call them about a week later and I am told that nothing has been done on the computer because no one was told what was wrong with it. I am furious because they have lied to me again no one was looking at the computer AND they can’t seem to look up the account to see the notes on what was wrong with it. At any rate I tell them what is wrong with it and ask that they call me when it is fixed. NO CALL.

I call them AGAIN about two weeks later and find out the computer is still not fixed and that they were waiting for parts. Oh, by the way, they admitted that the computer was sent out broken, but guaranteed me that it would be fixed and sent out right this time. We have no confidence in this company. They have sent a BRAND NEW item to us that didn’t work; their tech support sent us the wrong disk to help fix the computer; everything that they have had us do to this thing has not worked; and they are horrible at contacting us back. I don’t feel that we have gotten a lemon; it is just that the company is incapable of producing a quality product. I feel that we are stuck with something that will have constant problems.

This still isn’t thru on October 19th the computer is delivered not to my son in Bah Rain, but HERE. So, back on the phone to Customer service to let them know that they screwed up and to have them send me, via email a FedEx return label, which they do. The computer gets back to them a week later (Oct. 26) and I get a phone call from them wanting to know what address to send it to, which I give to them AGAIN. Now here it is November 28th and I call to find out the tracking number of the package so that I could track it and let my son know when to expect it. And what am I told by customer service not only have they not sent the computer, BUT they don’t have it or any record of it. Now I am panicking, because I don’t even have the original tracking number from when I sent it back to them because I tossed it when they called me to say that they had it and needed the address to send it out. I’m thinking we have just been had and we are out $5600.

Needless to say, I was all over the phone. I called FedEx they couldn’t help. I called customer service at Alienware and tried to find someone competent enough to help, no luck. I called the management department and was told by Bernie that he would look into the matter and get back to me. So, this morning after no call from anyone at Alienware, I got back on the phone. I tried to get a hold of Bernie, but he was unavailable, but I was told that he had noted in my account that they had found the computer and that they would send it out. I asked them to email me with a confirmation that they have the computer and an explanation as to why it hasn’t been sent and a tracking number for the package, but I’m not holding my breath. I will be on the phone everyday until they do!

All my son wanted was a computer that was working right and this has turned into a huge nightmare. There is no guarantee that in two or three months, or whenever he gets this computer back it will be working right or that it will continue to work right. We are afraid that this is going to be a constant problem. I can’t believe that this company is allowed to continue to work like this. I would NOT recommend them to anyone and I hope I can spare someone else the heartache and hassle by posting this complaint.

D  28th of Feb, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I have ordered and received two alienware systems the first was an area 51 m550 which was delivered ahead of schedule. The second was an aurora m9700 which arrived only one day after the estimated delivery date. Both machines work extremely well and are very reliable, unfortunately many people who post these negative comments couldn't afford an alienware and are simply lashing out at those who can (envy is an ugly thing) I have never had a problem with customer service and was very pleased with the entire process. Stop acting like children you know who you are.
A  19th of Mar, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
To the above poster, we are well aware of Alienware having people on the payroll that go around to sites like this and deplore complainers. So nice try, im sorry but you are fooling no one, your post and Alienware are both lousy.

Envy is an ugly thing, please nice try idiot.
A  10th of Jul, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i have to agree alienware is a horrible computer mine broke down after about two months into having it and as i tried to get it fixed the people who i spoke too with the really reALLY ### english that i could not understand told me i had to fix while they walk me through it..now i know how to play civ 3 on my computer and some basics but as for opening it up and messing with the insides i have no clue...so as they try to explain to me what i must do to fix it i do it and do something else and do something else and this goes on for about a month of talking to these people i finally had enough and i guess they did and they let me send it back to get fixed..well this was a mistake because i got it back in worse condition then before and now the only game i can play is civ3 now dont get me wrong i love the game as you can tell becuase i always play it but for a supposedly gaming computer it was shiite and now i cant even watch movies on it.. my friend also has an alienware and it also gives him nothing but trouble so thats 2k wasted for me and 3k wasted for him..these people suck..and its the only laptop or computer i actually looked forward and saved my money to get..
A  22nd of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I can't believe I've read a post where someone says negative comments are posted by people who can't afford Alienware...Dan Tanquary...you are a ###. If that is even your real name.

Alienware's status page is smoke and mirrors as it was taking way longer than the chart they displayed. When I call them the customer service person with his broken english I can barely understand argues with me to the point he is daring me to cancel my order. So I did and it took over a month for me to get my money back.

Will never do business with this company.
A  20th of Apr, 2009 by
I am currently fighting Alienware over a true LEMON computer they have sent me. I purchased there top of the line ALX computer with everything I could add. It was broken from day 1 and I have spent a year and a half putting replacement parts in the computer Alienware sent to me. Nothing they have done has worked. I have sent it to them twice now and each time the computer came back even worse then when I sent it off. I have had to buy another computer so that I can take my time to fight Alienware and get something in return for all the money I have spent with their company. I will be taking every course of action I can in or to get justice.

P.S. - I don't think the "He couldn't afford a High End PC" applies to me since I got the best they had and it was a POS.
N  8th of Jun, 2009 by
I having the same problem with them right now I ordered the computer 2 weeks ago and theres no computer. I tried to call costumer service all they do is transfered me to india who barely speak English so I give up talking to them I send them an e-mail no response . I want to cancel it but its 6:00 in the morning they said they are closed .so I dont what kind a crop they are doing . For sure alienware is a scam. Beware
N  2nd of May, 2011 by

Alienware - Refuse to fix broken computer

Bought 3k worth of computer in Feb-2010. Started having intermittent problems where it wouldnt start about 8 months later. Spent countless hours on the phone with foreign CS reps that were hard to understand and they tried all kinds of troubleshooting, ignoring my requests to have a tech actually look at it and service it. Then when the 1 yr warranty ran out they insisted it was hardware problem and needed a tech to fix it. They graciously offered to do this for a mere $400 extended warranty fee. Despite the fact that the problem was ongoing for several months and they previously refused to fix it, insisting it was not a hardware problem.

Dell Logo Dell