Ahs And United Air Temp / Price gouging

1 Jacksonville, AL, United States Review updated:

We have had a policy with American Home Shield for over ten years. Their premiums and co-pays have continuously increased annually. Their quality of vendors and their customer service has decreased. One month ago I called for A/C service as the unit in garage was leaking. Total Air came inspected, took $75 and pronounced the unit OK. They were not gone one hour when leaking began again. Called AHS three weeks later when entire system quit. Now United Air Temp. Broken compressor to be paid for by AHS. Of course new unit MUCH better only 7000.00. Nothing paid by AHS. Opted for repair as I am a Widow and old and still working.And after all I have this dandy home warranty insurance policy RIGHT? Got a message from BOB from AHS no last name. I will owe United Air temp $ 1148.00 the breakdown is 13 pounds of R 22 refrigerant equaling $975. $75 for service call and This really rankles $ 98 disposal fee for grand total of $1148. I have called AHS two evenings and spent over thirty minutes on hold without speaking to anyone. I have called United Air temp and tried to speak to a Manager. Left a message on his voice mail last evening, promised by the person who gave me his number that " He will call you back" Still waiting I feel after doing my due diligence and comparisons that these prices are outrageous. I wanted to see if anything was negotiable, and given my Widowed status they might possibly cut me a break. NO GO and to me the biggest insult They will take my credit card information BEFORE the work is done. Apparently the compressor is on order( 7 days tomorrow) during one of the hottest heat waves. They informed me that WHEN they call to schedule installation I will pre pay them the obscene amount of $ 1148. I will be having a local HVAC person coming tomorrow afternoon to give me estimates. After reading these other reviews I believe AHS and United Air Temp WILL NOT BE PERFORMING MY A/C repairs. These two are apparently in a win-win partnership for THEM. Will be thinking long and hard about AHS renewal. I'm certain they could care less about me as a customer. There have been other issues this year alone when they refused to pay the claim and repair something AFTER I was committed to their VENDOR. This whole system stinks now. Buyer beware

Or
Jul 23, 2015

Comments

• Ra
      5th of Aug, 2015

I've had the exact same problem with my AHS policy. It took 3 separate contractors to fix my AC unit. They sent out two and they did not fix anything. I went outside of AHS's contractor list, hired my own out of pocket, and was able to get the issue fixed. AHS will only reimburse you if the work is "pre approved" like a healthcare HMO. Only problem with that is all the companies I contacted do not deal with them!
    My premiums keep increasing even though I've had the policy only 2 years. They recently renovated their website and it's really buggy. After their website UI upgrade I'm no longer able to create a service request online. I keep getting errors. I work in software development and this is really basic functionality. Did no one test their website before having customers use it? Apparently not. It's garbage.
    So, every time I need to have service done at the house, I have to call customer service and wait at least 20-30 minutes (not exaggerating, and this has happened a handful of times). I asked to talk to tech support or anyone that can help with all the issues on their website. They said they "have no tech department, and there is no way they can research my problem, and I should "troubleshoot it."
    Their quality of customer service drastically went downhill. Their premiums keep increasing. Their website is horrible.
    I'm in the process of selling my property and I'll be all smiles when I get to call (after waiting a half hour to talk to someone) and cancel my contract.