ACS Education / Awful lender

ACS takes their time when opening your check that you sent them. They do this so that they can charge you a late fee. ACS did this to me. They didn't open my payment for weeks, and finally posted it 3 weeks after it was mailed. Of course they then sent me a letter, over a month later, telling me that my account is now delinquent and that they are going to send a collection agency after me because of a $9 late fee that they charged me and didn't tell me about. When I called them, they then said, "oh, that late fee is now $21 because you still haven't paid it." I didn't even know I had a late fee to begin with, and they've already charge me another compounded late fee! How dare they send me such a threatening note without them even informing me that I owed money! They were not at all responsive to my complaint or questions. They basically follow a script and don't listen to a word you said, and treat you awfully, even though it's their own fault that they didn't open your mail.

An

Comments

• Ka
      23rd of Dec, 2008

The situation you mention is just ONE of the problems with ACS. I was so happy when another lender bought my loan from ACS, but then ACS bought it back recently. Ugh. In addition to being ready to slap a late fee at any time, ACS seems to have an internal communication problem. As you mentioned, the folks who receive the payments and those who issue the threatening OVERDUE statements obviously don't work in the same building, or country, perhaps. When ACS acquired my loan again, they sent me repeated overdue notices before they'd even sent me a payment booklet. When I called to complain about their harassment and disorganization, the lady that answered said I had agreed to pay electronically, which I never do for any bills. Their latest tactic is to call me and tell me I'm overdue before my monthly payment is even due. I think it's ridiculous they treat their paying loan-holders this way, when they should be going after the people who never make a payment at all!

• De
      25th of Jan, 2009

Add my voice to those complaining of the unprofessional and disdorganized tactics employed by ACS. These people are absolute idiots! I consolidated my student loans through NextStudent a few years ago, and through this action, became a "customer" of ACS. If only I'd known what was in store for me, I would never have done it. Much like others, I've learned the hard way that they do not operate in a completely scrupulous and businesslike manner. To the contrary, they are unscrupulous and very unbusinesslike. Case in point: In October, my coupon booklet was all used up. So I requested a new one. No big deal, right? I mean, come on... I'm only trying to pay them money! Anyway, three months and three email requests plus two phone requests later... do I have a new booklet? No. I have never once been late on a payment, although once they did the same thing to me that I read about them doing to someone else. They received my payment but neglected to credit it to my account in a timely fashion. I know for a fact that they received it, because it was done electronically via my bank, so of course, the dates are all visible to me. The ###s called me at work to complain that I was late with a payment, and after I pointed out to them that it was their fault, they finally backed down, but not at all graciously and with no apology for their mistake. To all of you who are considering doing business with ACS... DON'T! You'll only regret it later.

• Bo
      11th of Feb, 2009

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with customer service trying to resolve two issues. During that time, a supervisor hung up on me, and a second representative transferred my issue to "research." This behavior is inappropriate, irritating and failed to resolve my issues.

Here are my two issues...

1. On December 1, 2008, I went online and paid all the interest marked as "accrued interest" on the website. This amount was 136.81 dollars. Thus, immediately after this payment, I should have had no interest remaining on my account. However, only 14 days after this payment (December 15th), ACS indicate that 656 dollars of interest was capitalized. Given that I had covered all interest up to December 1st, this is not possible. As of yet, ACS has failed explain where the 656 dollars in capitalized interest came from.

2) Currently, an additional 676 dollars is listed as "accrued interest." This is also mathematically impossible given a payment of 338 dollars on January 14th. Again, although I spent 1.5 hours on the phone, they have not provided a logically or mathematically sound explanation as to where the 676 dollars of interest came from.

I strongly urge those who have loans with ACS to watch the interest carefully.

• Al
      1st of Jun, 2009

I am so upset with these people you call at 1-800-508-0806. Ist you can't understand what their saying. It takes 2 or 3 tryies to try piece together what they say, and then they ask for your ssan, name address and phone #. this is terribly wrong. they should just have a personal question like most places do. such as swhere were you born ect. to verify, but NO they want everything you are not suppose to give out over the phone.

after getting nowhere, I was FINALLY given to the supervisor, and darn'd if it didn't sound just like the same person I was talking to before!!!

I've had it with this company. They won't answer any questions until you give them all and I mean ALL your personal information.

How arte we to know this is not a scam to get your personal info to sell or use themselves?

I think I'm going to call my state reps next.

good luck everyone, maybe if you have a problem you should do the same.

• If
      14th of Jun, 2009

Is there anyway everyone complaining about this company can come together and sue this company. I am having the same problem with them. They are dishonest and criminals. If anybody is looking to join forces and sue the company please let me know. my email is allwaybrown@yahoo.com
    someone needs to do something or it will never end. they'll keep taking advantage.

• Ro
      3rd of Jul, 2009

The ACS web site is down and the 800 number says the office is closed for the holidays. How can I make a payment ??? Today is Friday, July 3 and I was getting the same info yesterday. I wish there was some way to pay to an escrow account until ACS gets its act together. Class action lawsuit ??? I'm with you, allwaybrown. My e-mail is robarooney"at"gmail"dot"com

• Kr
      17th of Jul, 2009

ACS has been the MOST difficult company I have EVER delt with!!! I have 3 student loans, one of them being with ACS. With my other 2 loans I have no problem getting an actual person on the phone who can actually answer my questions. At ACS it is the exact opposite! It is incredibly hard to speak to an intelligent person who can actually provide me with any valid info. My problem requires immediate assistance and I am being talked in a circle. I cannot make my very large monthly payments. They are asking me to pay over 20% of my monthly income to them alone. I have been trying to have the payments lowered but they say there is NOTHING they can do! I was told by an employee at ACS to make partial payments, so I did, only to then be charged $25 each month for not making my payments in full! I am trying to pay them something only to be told if I don't pay the full amount they don't want it. I have made countless calls to them! Some days I am on the phone almost all day with them, never able to speak to the same person twice. I have been given WRONG information numerous times. The worst time being when I called three days ago try and find out who my actual lender is so I can contact them directly to try and have my monthly payments lowered so I CAN repay them and I was given the wrong lender name!!! So, for two days I was on the phone non stop with the wrong company, confusing them and myself!! I called ACS again to confirm my lender and was them informed that my lender was in fact someone else!!! But wait, it gets better, They don't have any record of my ACTUAL lending company, only the trustee for that company. AHHHHHH So, here I sit frustrated beyond belief and at my wits end while the ACS bills just keep stacking up. I can't get ACS to help me AND I can't even find out who my actual lender is!!!

• Br
      26th of Aug, 2009

I have to agree that ACS has been an absolute nightmare to deal with on any issue I have had. It is also virutally impossible to find any managment or leadership to contact with in ACS Education to file a formal complaint. I have found the leadership for the parent company of ACS, INC. I plan on sending an email to every executive I can find an email address for. Their email addresses appear to be FirstName.LastName@acs-inc.com. The current names listed for leadership on the parent company site are: Lynn Blodgett, Kevin Kyser, Tom Burlin, Tom Blodgett, Lora Villarreal, Tas Panos, John Rexford, Joseph Doherty, Dave Amoriell, Ann Vezina, Connie Harvey, Derrell James, Rebecca Scholl, Chris Leach, Tasos Tsolakis, and Skip Stitt. Maybe if we all start complaining about the services we have received, a change will happen!

I am also contacting my U.S. Congresswoman and U.S. Senators to let them know the many issues I have had in dealing with ACS and my federal loans. Please everyone take action and contact your congressmen and senators and let them know we are fed up in dealing with horrible companies like ACS when attempting to repay our student loans.

• Ri
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I too have concerns with ACS. Even though my minimum required payment is $430, I pay $1000 per month. This additional money should be going towards paying down the principle of my loan, but I don't believe that all of it does. I am paid up months in advance, and yet when I make a $1000 a month payment, I am still charged about 12% interest, even though my interest rate is 6.8% fixed. The reason that I am paying so much, is to quickly get out from under this company. It is true that thier customer service is very hard to deal with, and is nothing more than outsourced to India script readers.

7th of Sep, 2009

I can't even get the website to work (on a new PC or ESPECIALLY a mac). All I want to do is make a payment. I feel like they make this option impossible to accrue late fees. I have tried multiple times over the past 5 days and cannot login. This is ridiculous. I would get on board with a class action lawsuit-I have never dealt with a company that conducts business in such an unscrupulous manor.

• Ro
      14th of Sep, 2009

Sakimokitty- I'm having the same problem with ACS among other multiple accruing problems with this company. I'm on board for setting up a class-action lawsuit as well. Enough is enough. Here is my story in short: I had a loan with Student Loan Finance Corporation. Joined Peace Corps for a 27 month service a year after I graduated and set up a special deferment with SLFC. Then SLFC got the brilliant idea of servicing its loans through ACS about 25 months into my service. Somehow my special deferment didn't transfer and I started getting nasty letters, late fees, the whole 9 yards while I'm abroad. Six months later after multiple phone calls and letters I found out that they no longer service my account and don't know who has it currently! How did I find this out, by trying to make an online payment only to be told that they don't have record of this account. I called, and they said they have absolutely NO record of my payments over the last 6 months even though I have a written statement right in front of me. I've had about all I can handle with this company and I'm going to take legal action if things are not straightened out in the next day (they said they will call me back, but that never happens). I've also contacted the Attorney General's office and I plan on contacting my congressman. I'm sorry so many people have had to endure such terrible service and threats with this company. I hope none of us have to do this anymore. I will look into class-action lawsuits and post something soon. Please write if you already have some legal action in the works.

• Sh
      15th of Oct, 2009

ACS SUCKS! You can start fighting back at the follwing websites.

The Office of the Ombudsman (http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/).
    • See http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/resolve.html for the process of using their office to resolve problems with your loans or lender.
    • They offer tips on dealing with your lender at http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/resources/toolschecklists/servicertips.html and http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/resources/toolschecklists/selfresolution-checklist.html, but if you are unable to resolve the problem yourself, they’ll help.
    • It would be a good idea to have the following information available when you contact the Ombudsman: http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/resources/toolschecklists/prep-checklist.html

I would suggest you go through the Ombudsman process first before reporting fraud or abuse to the Office of Inspector General. But if you need to go that route, here’s the info:

The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) provides a hotline for individuals to call to report fraud, waste, or abuse involving federal student aid funds or Department of Education funds, programs, or employees. Anyone having such knowledge should call 1-800-MIS-USED (1-800-647-8733). All callers can be assured of absolute confidentiality. Reports can also be submitted via email (to oig_hotline@ed.gov) or the OIG online complaint form.

• Ti
      6th of Jan, 2010

Seriously -- I have a similar problem with interest -- my payments not being applied appropriately. Are those who wrote here seriously interested in bringing a law suit? I am.

• Re
      31st of Jan, 2010

I have a similar issue with ACS and I would like to bring a law suit. This is the second time my loan has gone from deferred to "Please pay the following". I have statement from July that states my deferment date is until 2013. I now have two bills stating I owe them money in 2009. My deferment vanished for no reason and with no warning. I will be in contact with them later this week, but this sounds extremely illegal. I will consult an attorney if I have to, but I want my deferment back and any negative remarks on my credit report to be removed. I should not have to check for this statement every month, when it should say "deferred".

4th of Feb, 2010

This is by far the WORST Loan company I have ever worked with. They could not get the YEAR right on my forbearance request delaying the process by 3 months. When the forbearance finally went through, it was only scheduled for 4 months instead of the 6 it was suppose to be scheduled for. Now they are telling me that I will have to apply for ANOTHER forbearance in 4 months to correct their mistake. Every time I speak to someone there their inform me that they will take care of the problem only to not have it resolved. The next time I call I speak to someone completely different and they give me different information. I have been with this company for one year, I have had to call them twice a month for the last 8 months. Pitiful.

• Mr
      6th of Mar, 2010

ACS is terrible...I, too, have experienced the "holding of my payment" until it accrues late fees. My original loan was $40, 000...and now my balance is almost $45, 000...and I have been paying on this loan for 5 years, and I should have seen my balance go down. This is ridiculous! When I call to talk to someone they never seem to know what is going on. Each person tells me something different and nobody can ever find a supervisor. I am very irritated with this company, and I strongly recommend people avoiding this company all together!

8th of Apr, 2010

ACS is a scam syndicate and a disorganized institution of harassers. I'm a victim of IDENTITY THEFT that actually took place through a different bank via the internet four years ago. ACS bought that loan from the bank a year and a half ago, and have been sending me bills every since. As of today, I've had to request my THIRD fraudulent loan affidavit form to prove I do NOT owe them any money, and ACS claims the first form I filled out never made it back to them. The second form I requested (after finding out MONTHS after sending the first affidavit back to them) was never sent it to me! It's like they don't want to admit they bought a loan from a bank that was stupid enough to give away money to any 'ol crook with a stolen SSN and the dexterity in their hands to click on an "I agree that I am who I claim to be" e-signiture button on their online master promissory note web page. So I get the feeling I'll never see this third affidavit form I requested because ACS doesn't want to deal with it, and this identity theft will NEVER be solved. Hell, the original culprit will probably get away with the whole thing even if I do prove my case. Meanwhile, these ACS loan sharks will continue to harass me for the money that I don't owe, all because they're is too ###ed or purposefully trying to lose paperwork... especially their affidavit forms that could make them forfeit their precious interest! I'm refuse to pay for a loan I never took out. But at the same time, I'm tired of this run-around.

• If
      8th of Apr, 2010

How can we file a lawsuit against ACS. It seems like they are getting away with murder. We should do something to stop them. I'll have to do some research to find out what it would take to take them to court. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Je
      28th of Apr, 2010

I completely agree with everyone. If anyone is assembling a group to take action count me in. Should we all start a facebook page or exchange contact information?

28th of Apr, 2010

I'm beginning a lawsuit against ACS, and will consider class-action participation for meritorious claims.