24 Hour Fitness / intentional mis-billing

1 Portland, OR, United States Review updated:

Essentially this is billing harassment. (1) They will continue to bill you checking account after they are supposed to stop (2) They will lose payment records and repeatably ask for proof. I'm convinced it is in their business model to abuse clients that have negotiated a low annual payment but attend thief facilities frequently. Statistically they will encourage a people to quit that provide low revenue. This is evil and must be against the law. If you are experiencing these abuses, i encourage you to submit a complaint with your state attorney general.

Comments

• Db
      8th of Sep, 2009

I have a similar situation and I am trying to get a class action lawsuit started. If enough people post their case on www.sueeasy.com it can possibly be picked up by a participating law firm. My post can be found through the following link:

• Vi
      26th of Jun, 2013

My son was home from college and I spoke with a 24-hour Fitness rep in person at their Boulder, CO facility to purchase two months of workout time. I spoke with a very friendly woman who had me pay approx. $80 for two months of membership — she never mentioned that I had to cancel the membership so I wouldn’t be charged monthly, nor did she tell me that the membership would have to be cancelled by a specific date. So, yesterday, on my online banking statement, is a monthly (additional) charge for $39.99. I immediately call the manager, Ross Paller, (after talking to two other people about this), and he just reads from his list of answers, and will not hear what I am saying to him about his rep’s mistake. So I call the corporate headquarters in California, and I get the same thing after 20 minutes on the phone explaining (yet again) the circumstance. I’ve heard about this company’s tactics before but went there because it’s the closest gym to us geographically. But here’s what I’m going to do: I’ve just heard of a person who is having success in building a class-action law suit against these business practices of 24-hour Fitness. I’m giving her a call today and will be among those people looking to file that suit...hoping that with enough complaints, a law firm will pick it up as a money-maker for them. This type of membership abuse must end, and I would strongly suggest to all those who have had bad experiences with 24-hour Fitness and have not done anything, to post your complaint to this website: www.sueeasy.com so it can be referenced in the future. I’m also filing a complaint with the Colorado Secretary of State which handles business practices within the state. Not only is this a stupid business practice, I believe it to be anti-community. That which they say is so important to 24-hour Fitness. Let’s look at the numbers: Because they won’t return my $39.99, they have now lost my business forever, and the business of my wife and two teenagers. And, being a creative director for a very long time, I have a LOT of contacts, and you can be sure that everyone of those 8, 000+ people on my email list will hear about this story. How much money will they lose because they’re so greedy not to return $39.99. What a lack of common sense!