24 Hour Fitness / poor members treatment!

I was a member at 24 Hour Fitness since 1997, and I am writing to give a brief detail about an unexpected situation that happened to me at club 304 in Houston recently.

I have been living in New York City for the past three years (where I cannot take advantage of my membership because there are no 24 hour locations here), yet I continued to pay my annual membership. For the holidays I went home to visit with my mom for Thanksgiving and didn’t hesitate to check out the 24 Hour Fitness that is located down the street from where my mom lives. However, the front desk attendant, Sandra, said I was not allowed to work-out at the facility because it was only for members who had a ‘Sports’ membership. Why would I pay $10 to workout when I pay an annual membership that I can’t even use regularly? After sending a complaint letter to the 24 Hour Fitness Headquarters, 2 representatives: Eric & Herbert, didn’t show any understanding and stood by their corporate policy that I must pay to upgrade my membership in order to workout at their ‘sports gym’. I gave them an opportunity to reconsider this decision and understand that I pay an annual membership that I cannot even take advantage of, but they still failed to see what was right – in my opinion. Thus, I am not continuing my membership and cannot believe that their customer relations department & managers at the gyms have no idea on how to treat members properly.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      28th of Dec, 2006

I signed up for a membership with 24 hour fitness at work in Omaha, Nebraska on approximately 11-8-06. They scanned my bank debit card and were supposed to charge me $64.00. On 11-9-06 they withdrew $114.16. I contacted them on 11-9-06, and spoke with a Stella Hedin, and advised her of the situation. She advised that they would put the difference back into my account. The funds were not put back into my account at that time. I have since spoken to her and her supervisor Reggie Morton about 6 or 7 times by phone, and each time they assured me that the funds will be returned immediately. The funds have never been returned. I have attempted to be patient, but at this point it has been well over a month, and I can no longer trust that they will ever return the funds. It is very difficult for me to believe that a corporation like this would not even have the decency to resolve their own mistakes, but would rather have a person like myself tell everyone who will listen, that this company is a plain ordinary rip-off. Sad!

17th of Jan, 2007

Thanks for above comments. 24-hour fitness SUCKS! I cancelled my membership in December of 2006, and they still charge my credit card for January 2007. I called 24-hour fitness again to find out that, my account is still active, and that they do not know what I am talking about, I was told to call some stupid number again. 24-hour fitness sucks big time, they stores are filthy and customer service is better in Turkey.

The worst 24-hour fitness store ever is in Kirkland, Washington, and the biggest ### in customer service is for sure store manager Jason Pinson.

Don’t go here.

Take care,
    Sanjin.

• Gr
      7th of May, 2007

Club 1960 in Houston is bio-hazard. Machines are always sticky and dirty. I did observe an employee cleaning the machines, but this is a big club, and the is no way he can keep up. Even worse, he was using End Dust furniture polish!

• Qu
      25th of Oct, 2007

Um... you pay alot less than everyone else who works out at that gym because you pay the annual fee for the smaller club. They have multiple types of clubs. Sport is a mid level, you're obviously paying for a lower one that's why they didn't let you in. If they had let you in you would have just ripped off the thousands of people who have memberships at that club.

• Je
      8th of Dec, 2007

Firstly my wallet was stolen from the locker and the manager said, upon hearing my story the manager promised one month of free membership, he took my name and membership number and advised that it would take about fifteen days to process, it never did . I spoke to him again but in vain.. They seriously don't care. Secondly I payed my bill at the fitness center in cash, for two months and they have failed to report to the financial dept. They want me to $100.00 for that two months now. I spoke to the financial dept customer service lady assured me that every thing was and taken care of. Now they want me to pay the amount. I am still a member there, because there is no other gym in and around the area that live , but when I find one I will never ever workout in 24 hour fitness. I take my words back from all my friends and family that I have recommended this fitness center. The customer service on phone was unhelpful and did not speak good English, it was like talking to a brick wall... really frustrating...

• Pi
      10th of Apr, 2008

even the employess know what a joke this company is. For a multi BILLION dollar company, why cant they pay for proper traning and bonus for those who actually do thier jobs. Oh I forgot, i'ts a money hungry corp. That employ managers that hire only thier friends. Damn I was hired at the wrong time, this is why I am out of a job. When I asked one employee why he doesnt do sales, his response "that's like calling me a lair." Hey it's true. Its all about the over head and not the people or children. Stay clear of the gimmicks!

• Bu
      14th of Apr, 2008

Yes, 24 Hour Fitness sucks. The people working in the gyms are not empowered and quite frankly don't care about you. Plus their billing department messes up if you try to change credit card billing info. But don't try calling them unless you are willing to wait for 20 minutes on hold. It's amazing such a terrible company can succeed. This should inspire all aspiring entreprenuers.

16th of May, 2008

My gripe with 24 has been with the jerks they let work there. Years ago there was this ### named Nick who worked the graveyard shift at Whittier. he was a painter and would draw images morbid and sexual in nature. He would brag to everyone about his nazi friends and since Im black he kept warning me about terminating my membership. Lastly, a personal trainer has been harrasing me too, following me around telling me to re-rack my weights. When I first encountered this individual I was doing military presses, before my last set he rudely takes the bar away. He asks oh you werent finished, I said it's cool, don't worry about it. Apparently my response wasnt enough as he ordered me to re-rack my weights. I always rack my weights, as courtesy to the staff, but apparently this guy had been picked on in High school or something as he now thinks he can follow me around and talk to me like a child. Anyway I called the manager and logged a complaint. Yea ### 24 hour fitness, I like the aspect of being able to work out in the dead of night, but c'mon, do something about all the jerks and egos you have working there.

• Ni
      25th of Feb, 2009

24Hour has the worst service anywhere. For the last 3 years I have been paying my monthly membership of $10.00 a month. the amount got taken right out of my account every month. Last year, I was diagnosed with cancer. While going through chemotherapy treatments, my card was stolen and i had to get it changed. When it was changed, apparently, 24 Hour couldn't take my payments out any more. Anyways, i spoke to the supervisor about my terminated membership and she (Chris) was very condensending, extremely rude, and very untrained. I apologized to them about not contacting them that my card changed, but they couldn't understand that I may have had other things on my mind. i asked them why no one ever sent a letter or called..they said that they did send a letter out of courtesy and as she laughed at me, she told me that i should take better care of my bank account. This crap company wouldn't even reinstate a cancer survivors membership for a simple mistake. I would rather lift soup cans in my kitchen then to give this ### company another cent. I will gladly drive farther and pay more to a competitor for their service.

• He
      10th of Mar, 2009

I have a friend who is a member of a 24 hour fitness in houston texas. She's been a memeber for years and goes every morning at the same time. Well, she has a situation. an employee has stolen her personel information, like cell phone number, e-mail address and no telling what else. He keeps harrassing her over the phone and is now e-mailing her. She has complained to the managers at the gym but i don't believe any thing has been done to prevent more harrassing. So-now she's worried that he has her address and more trouble may come. What type of legal actions should she take? she's single and lives alone and worried about her safety.

• Qu
      18th of Apr, 2009

I submitted a coment about a year ago in 24's defense, but i take that back now. I quit shortly after becoming a personal trainer and learning the company doesn't give a rats @ss about their customers, or employees. They worship the almighty $. That's it. I was a 2 year employee, all the managers and employees who were my best buddies then, suddenly forgot i existed and have never said a word to me since i quit, even though i still owrk out there.

TAKE IT FROM A FORMER EMPLOYEE. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY!

17th of Jun, 2009

I tried 24 hr fitness back in 2000 in San diego, the San Marcos, Ca location I joined and tried out a personal trainer who turned out to be a jerk on roids and the equipment was old and worked improperly, I cancelled during the one week cancellation period but I was still charged two months after cancellation and a spent hrs on hold canceling because you cant cancel in the gym it has to be over the phone to some one over seas. Fast forward to 2009 I went to 24 hr fitness in Mililani, HI I got the hard sell on a membership with EFT Electronic Funds Transfer I had to ask about other options like prepaying in advance the guy was rude and gave me a hard time, it cost less to prepay for the year then to to do EFT which is what they want people to do. I did a 7 day free to try the place out and it was old and had old equipment. When I was leaving their parking lot one of the crazy staff members tried to hit my car and was honking that I was in their way and was a completly looney tearing out of the parking lot. Well that made up my mind.I wasnt going to give this buisness my money and glad I didnt after reading about the 4 class action suits against them.

• Am
      20th of Jun, 2009

why is it that people join facilities such as gyms without TAKING OWNERSHIP of what they sign ? As a former employee and a happy member I can say that 24 hour fitness has a very simple agreement !!! You sign up for a month to month debit off of your acct and if you need to cancel they bill you within 30 days . How hard is that ? So if YOU forget that you have a gym and quit going, or if other stuff comes up in YOUR LIFE why do you blame the staff there for billing you ? take some OWNERSHIP and RESPONSIBILITY!! Are you the same type of people that cry about milk prices all the time at the grocery store and demand that nickel back ? My god...

• Na
      24th of Jul, 2009

Plain and simple; if you're not paying for a "Sport" membership then you cannot go to a "Sport" gym. I don't want to sound childish but, "how dumb are you?"

30th of Jul, 2009

amandahugandkiss

i can agree with the people complaing they want a higher grade membership for 10 dollars is BS... BUT!!! WHEN YOU GET KICKED OUT OF YOUR OWN GYM>>> YOU GET CALLED A LIAR!!! YOU GET YELLED< SCREAMED AT< CURSED AT< AND EVEN GOT A PIECE OF PAPER THROWN AT ME!!! THAT IS AN OUTRAGE!!! THE GUY KICKED ME OUT OF THE GYM CAUSE SOME ONE INPUT MY BIRTH YEAR WRONG! THATS THE ONLY Thing that was wrong!!! I am a paying member and to be treated like that at my own ngym that ive been going to for almost a year is just rediculous... btw the rude asss's name is Jerry. He works the night shift at the Willowbrook location 206 i think in houston. That ### i hope he gets fired... i will compain and complain till he does...

• As
      26th of Nov, 2009

I don't go to 24 hour fitness to interact with any of the staff. I go to work out, and have been doing so for over 8 years, without any complaint. Quit talking to these workers that bother you, and stick to what you are there for. And yes, there are different levels of membership, it clearly stated in my contract the I could go to sport, but not the Supersport, of which there are only a few in the world (last time I checked was a few years ago). It is a buffet for exercise, cheap and anlaws open. Or you could pay over 100 dollars a month, have people kiss your ### and walk out a flabby ### because those places don't cater to people that want to get into shape.

• Sl
      10th of Dec, 2009

13 Months ago I called in to 24 hour fitness to cancel my membership because I was going to be in New Zealand for 2 months and traveling for work, unable to utilize the gym... I was told that I would need to actually go to the store to cancel. Since I was already on my way to the airport, I settled for the account being put on hold because that is all they could do without me physically being there. Fine. But I just went back to 24 hour fitness today to re-activate my membership only to learn that the membership had never been put on hold...I spoke to their staff but have not been able to speak with the manager. I am hopeful that they will refund me the $468.00 that was charged while I was away. After reading these stories, I am not looking forward to my conversation with the 24Hour Manager. BTW the gym location is 4240 Redondo Beach Blvd. Torrance, CA 90504...

• Iv
      15th of Dec, 2009

Bad customer service. This is pretty much business as usual. My son who is in the military cancelled 2 1/2 years ago and I recently realized my credit car is still being charged! When you call, you are referred to the manager who then refers you to to the "corporate office" which is actually your call re-routed to the Philippines! This shameful business needs to be made public.

• Ro
      23rd of Dec, 2009

I am a member Robert E. McCullough B.A., Arch. of 24 Hour
    > Fitness Center at Beech Street (North Beech) San Francisco.
    > Most recently my wallet was stolen. A week earlier my clean
    > laundry was stolen from my locker and a week later after
    > that my clothes were stolen again. I informed the service
    > manager and asked him to check the cameras of people who had
    > left the mens dressing room, he would not. I went to another
    > location 24 Hour Fitness on California/Sacramento Street in
    > San Francisco to order a new 24 hour fitness card for mine
    > was in my stolen wallet. They looked up on the computer and
    > after an hour we located me (Robert E. McCullough) and
    > somebody changed my address, phone number, and date of birth
    > with somebody some one else information who had been
    > canceled, a homeless person I have recently found outfound.
    > Only an employee could access the 24 Hour Fitness files to
    > change this information and now I have two witnesses at the
    > other 24 our Fitness on
    > California/Sacramento Street who located these changes..
    > I also found several homeless people who were unfairly
    > terminated after searching for anyone who has been stolen
    > from and broken into there lockers.
    > Before I go nationally (internet) of this injustice at 24
    > Hour Fitness Center at Beech Street San Francisco I request
    > an investigation and expect compensation for my stolen
    > property in excess of $350.00.
    > Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    > Robert E. McCullough B.A., Arch.
    > e-mail address: www.MrDemocracy13@yahoo.com
    > cc: Allioto Law Firm San Francisco Ca.

• Po
      21st of Apr, 2010

The San Bernardin California 24 HR Fitness provides terrible service...The service manager Andrea Bocanegra is a sarcastic rude mean person...She likes to raise her voice at customers and acts like she's the owner of the club...WHAT A BIT%$&!!!