College AmericaSubstandard Education and Fraud

First of all, for those of you who think College America offers a quality education, think again. I know people who graduated two or three years ago, yet aren't qualified enough to work in their chosen fields. Some of the instructors don't even have Associates degrees, let alone certifications to teach. One instructor in particular worked as a Nursing Assistant, yet was teaching certification courses for future CNAs. I withdrew from the Health Care Administration program because I realized this entire school was a scam, they made false promises when I expressed interest in this school, you don't even get to keep any of your books to use for future reference yet they charge you full price for textbooks, and any materials, such as stethoscopes or scrubs are paid for out of your own pocket. College America has enrollment counselors blatantly lying about their school just to get students in the door. I started attending after they started the free laptop program, but I have friends who claim that these are refurbished laptops that they charge astronomical prices for. Because I attended College America, I now have to pay $8, 000 back to them for early withdrawal from the program. The school sent the bill to Collections once they figured out I couldn't pay, and as a result of the massive interest rates that the school authorized them to attach to this payment, the bill is now a grand total of $10, 000. I can't get a job without having my pay garnished. I can't receive a tax refund because the school gets the money. Please read this story and take all I'm saying to heart before you decide to attend this college. This school is a joke and needs to be shut down by the federal government because they are clearly committing fraud and misrepresentation at the very least.

More College America Complaints & Reviews

• Cr
    Cruxdagger Apr 10, 2017

I got an associates degree at the old flagstaff campus in that little shopping center, My diploma was for "Medical Specialties" I got a phlebotomy certification and a Medical assistant certification. Now the staff we great an I am still friends with most if not all, though after moving when I graduated, I was told by each institution I went to that my degree was useless and that the certs were not any good due to them not being AAMA certifications. This was Various clinics in WI including Marshfield clinic, and Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center In Lafayette Louisiana and a few other hospitals/clinics in Louisiana.

Phlebotomy certification costs around $700-$1, 400, and Medical assistant certs cost$1, 200-$4, 200, on average everywhere else, and with some community colleges that includes the associates degree. Not to mention that those credits are usually fully transferable. So on the high end for sake of argument i would of normally been out $5, 600, for the same degree save a couple months length, not the over 30k after my grants debt I had when I got out of College america. Not to mention the way college america has its " semesters" set up is how they make their money, it falls so that you start and complete on average 2 classes in 4 weeksish, so when getting grants or federal aid in general, it doesn't fall on the proper pell grant cycle so ends up costing you more out of pocket or loans, compared to a normal school where depending on the school, you could even be receiving left over money from each grant cycle.

Its not the staffs fault in general, as the staff were genuinely fantastic people, and were very good at teaching, it's the system that the school is built on that is predatory, and harmful to most in general.

• Dl
    DLToner Aug 09, 2016

I had a great experience at College Anerica, however all the promises they make to you has never come true. Oh we will keep you up to date on different testing so you can get more certifications, ih we will help you with anything you need. Oh we will stay in contact. I haven't heard a peep from them i have a useless degree. Last job I had I quit because I move d back to Colorado and 3 yrs later I still cant find one, because I'm not qualified. So $45, 000 later im in debt out the wazoo and can't continue my Education because one of the loans I had with them to which I knew nothing about went into Default. They suck...

Cherie Verhaegen May 18, 2016

I totally agree I finished there in 2008 and I have a useless degree. They never helped me find a job after school and never contacted me again. I now owe over 30k in loans I can't pay because I'm a single mom of 3 and I'm not able to get another loan for a real degree at a real school. I'm so frustrated and I can't believe I fell for the scam.

• Dr
    DR RAYA Jan 28, 2015

CONTACT THE ARIZONA STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND FILE A COMPLAINT, EACH COMPLAINT IS TAKEN SERIOUSLY! ONCE A CERTAIN NUMBER HAS BEEN REACHED A CLASS ACTION SUIT IS FILED ON BEHALF OF ALL STUDENTS! THE STATE OF ARIZONA IS MAKING STRONG EFFORTS TO RID ITSELF OF THESE DIPLOMA MILLS BUT IT CANNOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU BRING IT TO THEIR ATTENTION!

• L8
    L86001 Dec 07, 2012

I agree, I wanted to be certified as a Radiology Technician but they never had the teachers to teach that class so they just had me take other classes. Even at the graduation, we were never given our Diplomas. To this day I don't have a certificate saying I attended the school. This school was in Flagstaff, Arizona. I wish there was a way that we could sue them for giving us false information.

• Ju
    JuneSeals Jul 11, 2012

One person's experienced cannot define how good a school is. Many students have found this college to be a good one.