Certs, Inc.Cruise Fraud

E

Certs, Inc. has scammed me out of $498. On June 27 2008 7:45 pm I attended a time share presentation for Royal Palm Vacation (AKA: World Vacations) in which I was promised a Cruise from Bayonne, NJ. to Bermuda for both my wife and I. Certs, Inc. requested $249 per person for port charges, Taxes and Fees. I sent out full payment of $498.00 by postal money order on 8/4/08. The expected sailing dates promised were for the following year in 2009. After waiting a year for this long awaited and much needed vacation we were notified by mail 1 month prior to the trip that it was cancelled! The two options given to us were to choose another sailing date 1 year away in 2010 or request a refund. Of course we requested a refund. We signed the required form and submitted by registered mail to Certs, Inc. at 424 East Central Blvd. #413 Orlando, FL 32801 on 09/17/09. I was told it would take 4 weeks for a refund. I have been waiting ever since for my refund! I must have called Cert, Inc. at phone number [protected] over 60 times and all I get is a recording. No one ever picks up and you can not leave a message either. The recording instructs you to send your questions by email and I have done that as well several times with no response. It is now 1/12/10 and we have yet to receive our refund or any correspondence from Certs, Inc. I have everything documented. This company has scammed many people out of their hard earned money and it's not until we all file our complaints with the attorney generals office and start a class action lawsuit that we will we ever see our refunds! What troubles me the most is that Certs, inc is collecting taxes for these cruises and not submitting the taxes which makes that a federal crime!

• Ce
    Cease Mar 24, 2008

I just received my travel voucher from Certs, Inc. on Saturday March 22nd, 2008 - I am sending in another check with my selected arrival dates... I'll let you all know how this pans out. Wish me luck!

Diane Hutchings May 01, 2008

We have received the same vacation getaway for two round trip airfares. After reading the complaints, I think I won't even send it in. At this point we are not out any money and who need the frustration. Would love to hear if anyone does ever actually get their airline tickets after jumping through all the hoops.

Thanks,

Diane

• Lk
    LK May 12, 2008

Our offer (Package Code 109) states "With at least 30 days between departure dates"
    Has this sentence been changed?
    It would seem "with at least" is pretty clear.

• Ce
    Certs Inc Jun 23, 2008

First, we'd like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experience redeeming your travel certificate from our company. Keeping that in mind, we'd like to point out a few important details regarding the travel certificate business.

Our business is no different than any other business transaction in which both parties must comply with their agreement and adhere to the terms of service.

We highly recommend in the future if you receive a call or postcard from a marketing company promising you a travel certificate if you attend a timeshare presentation that you ask for the name of the company responsible for providing the incentive.

We further recommend if it is a Certs, Inc. incentive, that you visit our web site (www.certsinc.biz) where you can read the entire terms of service for each incentive we offer, and then make an educated decision on whether of not to move forward with the presentation.

Certs, Inc. has no control over the presentation by the marketing company or the sales tactics used by the vacation club representative. However, we do police their activities and from time-to-time will discontinue the sales of our products to these companies if we feel there is misrepresentation.

Certs, Inc. has never, and will never, change the terms of service on our incentives "after" it has been presented to our clients customers.

If you have not received a booking confirmation from our company for the travel date(s) you provided, you are entitled to a full refund of all monies paid to Certs, Inc.

Due to the inconveniences of a large cancellation rate for booked travel, your travel dates will not be confirmed until 14 days in advance. This is to benefit you by allowing a full refund in case you an experience a life event that keeps you from traveling on the dates you provided us.

If you feel you have not received a fair chance at redeeming your travel certificate, please contact our customer service department [protected]) so we can research your situation and act accordingly based off your incentive's terms of service.

Sincerely,

Gregory A. Peaden, CEO
    Certs, Inc.

• Cj
    CJ Bostic Jul 15, 2008

It is so funny that Greg Peaden thinks he can salvage his company's reputation by posting on here that we should contact him! I worked for a company that used Certs and they did nothing but TRY to find ways NOT to fulfill (forced breakage)! Mr. Peaden is desperate and you should not believe him. I know that he intentionally creates his certificates to trick people and mislead them. Do not trust him or Certs, Inc.

RUN AWAY!

• Tj
    Tjernobyl's Child Jul 24, 2008

[protected] is the number for an AUTO GLASS REPAIR shop!!! WTF?!?!?

• Lo
    Lorna Jul 30, 2008

Thank you so much for posting these complaints about Certs, Inc. We received a certificate for travel through them for attending a buying club presentation. Having looked at the various complaints, we're not even going to try to book anything.
    Hope the watch I also received works!

• Cj
    CJ Bostic Aug 11, 2008

CEO of his company and doesn't know the toll free prefix to his own number is 866, not 800.

Yeah - that's someone who knows what he's talking about!

• De
    Derek Aug 17, 2008

I wish I had found this site prior to participating in a Certs program. Unfortunately I didn't completely follow ALL the instructions on the voucher––my wife, “the second traveling party" neglected to sign the form, thus they cancelled the offer and stated in their reply letter that the offer is void because of this. I found another posting that I think sums up this company's reputation well.

"This is not a consumer friendly company. I believe their business plan is predicated on people either not wanting to bother jumping through their hoops to receive the money or on people making a mistake. In my case I did not make a mistake. I followed their rules completely. I waited more than 30 days. Any reasonable / fair / friendly company would have allowed this. They are none of those. Their practice in this case, while following their own defined rules regarding the 30 days, borders on the unethical. They certainly are not operating in any way in the interests of the consumer. They have had 26 complaints with the BBB in less than 1 year. Only 8 of those are listed as resolved."

If you are going to work with this company please make sure you follow ALL the terms... EXACTLY: dates, signatures, POSTAL money orders, certified mail, etc. They will use every opportunity possible to avoid having to honor their agreement.

d

• Ba
    Barbara T. Brown Jan 21, 2010

Hi,
    My name is Barbara Brown and I also went to a sale speach and was told about getting a 8 day crusie for two. I sent in the money $398.00 and I have ask for my money back and they have still not send me it back. What a rip off company.
    I have done everything they have ask of me and they will no respond to any of my request. I also send all letter reg. mail also and still no reply:
    my e-mail ([email protected])

Dissapointed in IL Jan 25, 2010

My name is Gloria Ciezadlo and I too was scammed by Cert, Inc. for $249.95. I've been attempting to get my refund since June of 2009. I call the same number over and over again, [protected] and get a recording. I too, have mailed the information several times to the FL address, with no reply.
    Save yourself some time and money and don't do business with CERTS, Inc.

Dissapointed in IL Jan 25, 2010

Certs, Inc. took my deposit and activation fee totaling $249.95 for package code SA Serial Number 505499 in June of 2009. I have notified them three times by mail, yet they do not respond. All these attempts were done within their guidelines that a refund was possible if done before booking the trip.

• Dc
    DC2NYC Sep 16, 2010

Let me start by saying this actually is not a complaint but hopefully a solution to helping those that are looking for a refund from Certs Inc. I read many of the complaints on Certs Inc. collecting deposits but not getting any services and then having a near impossible time trying to get a refund. I too was in the same boat up until a few months ago.

In December 2008, my wife and I had attended a seminar for membership into their travel club which claims to offer great discounts. We were promised free airfare, car rental and hotel even if we didn't purchase. Long story short, we didn't purchase and received our vouchers. If anyone is reading this, then you already know how difficult it it to actually get the plane tickets, car rental and hotel because of all the small details that are in fine print... Pick 2 dates at least 30 days apart, travel must be at least 4 days in length, hotel date choices cannot be within 7 days of a holiday, must b Postal Service money order...You get the picture. If you don't complete any of these correctly the first time, then you receive a letter from them saying sorry, your offer is voided, thanks for playing.

I was really meticulous in following the instructions but missed some really small details. I had sent 3 deposits for plane tickets, car rental and hotel. The plane ticket and car rental deposits were actually returned once they informed me I didn't correctly complete the forms. So they did return my deposits on those offers immediately. The hotel form however, I had dead on. I received a letter saying that the dates were not available and to choose again. I resent the request with two new dates spread more than 30 days apart. Well, I never heard back. Now fast forward to Jan 2010, they still had over $100 in deposits. I had tried to call like everyone else but you always get a recording that says you have to submit in writing any request. I did that twice and never heard back. Even sent the letters Certified mail to confirm delivery. And yes, they were both delivered. This was back in 11/2009, a year later! After 3 months going by an no response, I went to the BBB of Central Florida to file a complaint. They called me back saying they can only help if the company you are complaining about cooperates with them. Well no big surprise, Certs Inc. doesn't cooperate. The BBB sent me some links to file a complaint at the state level. Here is where it gets good...

First I filed a complaint online with the Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum. I got a reply several days later saying they would forward to the AG Economic Crime Section for review. The email also stated to file another online complaint with the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Consumer Services (DACS). This department is where sellers of travel have to register on the state level. The email included a link to complete an online complaint form. That link is www.800helpfla.com. I completed the online complaint form and received a letter in the mail about 2-3 weeks later stating that they sent notice to Certs Inc to respond. The company has a time frame of window to respond back explaining the situation. The letter also stated for me to send in any proof documenting my complaint. I had luckily made copies of everything, the original forms, postal money order receipts, certified mailing receipts, the whole nine yards. The day I had sent it out, I also received the same day in the mail, a letter from DACS that included a copy of a letter from CERTS, Inc., stating that my refund had been sent. About 2 weeks later, I received a check in the mail for my remaining deposit that was outstanding. So after nearly a year and half I finally had all my deposits back, minus the money I had paid for the postal money orders and the certified mailing. About $10 in the whole after all is said and done. But the important thing is I did get that last refund back.

If anyone is still having issues getting a refund from CERTS, Inc. I would heavily recommend going the route I did as it worked for me. Again, go to www.800helpfla.com. On the left hand side, there is a link to "File a complaint". This is where I got the help I needed because the company is required to respond back to that division on the state level. My remaining deposit was only $110. I read other complaints where people had said they have over $400 in deposits still outstanding. I hope that everyone out there that experienced the same issue with Certs, Inc., will find this useful and will have the same luck I had.

Would also like to hear any other success stories about getting refunds from this company. Good luck!!

• De
    Debra in Jacksonville, FL Feb 13, 2012

I live in Jacksonville Florida and I too bought from Certs, Inc. I came across my voucher to fly anywhere in the US of A with this voucher, was just to just give a 14 day notice and I should have been on my way but to my surprise I call the [protected] number and got a message that said something had been completed then a tone followed as the sound of a fax machine. I would love to reach this company to see what they have to say about all of this. I don't remember how much I am out but I really would like to have taken the trip to anywhere as they promised.