BlurbBad service

H

I just created a book of one of my daughter’s collage stories using Blurb's software, and ordered one copy: looked great. Got excited and ordered 10 copies: looked great too, and friends, family and co-workers all wanted one. When I ran out of the 10 copies, I ordered 10 more. YIKES! Should’ve read the comments on the Internet earlier and counted myself lucky to get 11 copies that were not messed up.

These last 10 copies are terribly finished, with the hard cover improperly glued to the body of the book (the white paper that glues onto the hard cover–front and back–is full of bubbles, as if my 4 year old had glued it).

I promptly contacted customer support and they agreed to send me a new set… and asked me to return the deffective ones to them! HUH?! What are they going to do with them? It makes me feel that, even though I sent them photos of the issue, they do not believe me. Also, this is the first time EVER that, when ordering something that is custom-made and having an issue, I am asked to return it to the seller/manufacturer. It is just a TERRIBLE policy. Makes the company look cheap and distrustful of its customers. Plus, even though they will be sending me a UPS label to pay for the shipping, who is paying for my time to take the darn box of books to the UPS store?!

That’s it for me, I will NEVER do business with Blurb again. I will start looking into other online printing services, which seem to abound... something else I learned when I started looking into the complaints that folks have about Blurb.

MaryRC Jul 19, 2010

Blurb has no quality control. The second time I ordered from them, my three books were bound together wrong. They had attached the wrong half of each book, so that they were mixed up — all three books. I explained the problem, but Blurb would not believe me and demanded that I send a scan of the problem.

I explained that I did not have access to a scanner and gave a detailed description of the error they made. They replied that they would not accept my word for it and that I would have to prove there was an error by either giving them a scan or by returning the books.

Since I didn't trust Blurb with my only proof of their error, I decided it wasn't wise to return the books. So I borrowed a scanner and spent nearly two hours scanning in three 30-page books which had been put together wrong.

I did not want Blurb to say my scans weren't good enough, so I made high-quality ones. After a long and difficult upload, I e-mailed the 300 dpi PDF files to Blurb proving that I am not lying about their error. But despite all my efforts, I have no confidence that Blurb will admit their error and send replacements. They have no respect for their customers' word, their customers' money, their customers' time, or their customers' satisfaction.

By the way, the binding is already falling apart. So much for the quality of their work in that respect as well. Besides all this, Blurb never admitted any possibility of their having made an error. Their e-mails said they were sorry that I HAD A PROBLEM with the quality. They placed the blame entirely on my not liking the results and would take no responsibility for having bound the books completely wrong.

Until this happened, I had planned to complete several more projects with Blurb. I had also told several of my friends about Burb and was helping one of them complete a wedding book for her son. Now, however, I am sorry I ever did business with Blurb. I hope my friends, once they have heard what Blurb put me through, will decide not to do business with that company, either.

• Me
    MeKnotU Sep 02, 2011

I wish that I had done my homework on Blurb, and checked the BBB and sites like Complaints Board prior to uploading my project, I most probably would not have done business with them.

I concur with MaryRC, Blurb's quality control is nonexistent. I placed four orders with Blurb; the first one was fine. The second order contained books that had barely 1/16” on space left on the vertical cut, they cut that far past their own template cut lines. On my third
    order, all of the book covers were not bound properly. They were rotated slightly clockwise, with part of the cover layout on the spine, and part of the spine now showing up on the back cover. My last order, for one book, was fine.

Now, if Blurb can get my first and last order right, they can get them all right. I sent 150 and 300 d.p.i. scans via PDF to Blurb to illustrate the problems, comparing these to books from previous orders that were fine. At first, Blurb acknowledged the problem, for customer service asked me to let them know how many books “had this trim problem.” In a subsequent email, Blurb attempted to blame-shift by telling me that the problem was on my end and my using their program “BookSmart.” Only problem is, I wasn't using their program, I was using Adobe InDesign CS4, with their templates and their pdf export plugin.
    Secondly, that excuse does not explain why orders one and four were fine. Thirdly, Blurb totally ignored the covers being bound improperly by not even addressing my complaint in follow up emails.

In my final response letter to Blurb I wrote:

“I find it telling that Blurb has complaints lodged with Complaints Board and the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern Coastal California Better Business Bureau, twelve complaints alone for defective product.”

I am now forced to address this nonsense through the California Attorney General's Office and the Northern Coastal California Better Business Bureau.

If you are reading this OR know of someone considering doing business with Blurb, my advice is to stay away, FAR away. Don't be fooled by the the glitz and polish of Blurb's website, they are unconcerned with customer satisfaction and produce slipshod merchandise. They do have the ability to make a decent product, but they are staffed with people who do not care about the quality of the products that they produce. Additionally, their customer service is sub-par. They make you jump through hoops to prove a problem with THEIR workmanship, yet they then recant a prior admission of fault and error in order that they absolve themselves of any and all negligence.

Norma Padro Oct 25, 2011

I'm an author with Blurb. So far all of my books have been very nicely done. I noticed that while preparing my book it stated on how I wanted my books to be cut. I made sure it was well done on my part.
    All of my books are great. I'm sorry yours weren't.

• De
    Delta2013 Aug 12, 2013

BLURB software has no SAVE AS nor EXPORT in any readable format such as PDF or MS Word done on purpose the book can be only printed by BLURB. Writer has no control of file once released to BLURB
    No security nor guarantee that book will be not copied and sold without writers approval.

• Cl
    Clyman Otis Nov 16, 2013

I have published three books with Blurb. I love their BookSmart program as it allows complete freedom to create YOUR book YOURSELF. They offer no editing, no comments, no suggestions. All they do is print what you create. I love this system myself! I have had none of the problems that others have voiced. My only complaint is that the copies cost so much. That is my sole complaint. I realize this is not a mass market publisher and that the books I create are one-of-a-kind type specialty books, but still, $50 for a hardback w/jacket 120-page book is a little steep. I am thoroughly satisfied with Blurb's quality. In fact, that's what drew me to them in the first place. A friend of mine sent me a draft copy of his book from Blurb to review and I was very favorable impressed with the quality. When I was ready to have mine published, I chose Blurb for this reason. I purchased the PDF rights for $10 and have sold a couple of dozen disks with the PDF copy on them for $5.00 each. It's true that the author has no control once you release it to Blurb for printing. It's up to you to make sure it is as you want it. That's the beauty of BookSmart. You can SEE what it's going to look like, the colors, the fonts, the margins, the layout. I always order a couple of drafts and hand them out to friends for review before I have the final version printed. When I get my own copy of the final version, I order the special paper. It is BEAUTIFUL!

• Ev
    evaz Jan 17, 2015

I have had an awful time with blurb. Trouble with their software, changes in their policies since I began. what I was promised is unavailable after spending 6 months researching and writing the book. Technical issues are only dealt with by email so take forever and rarely get fixed. I cried more tears over frustration with them than you can imagine. There is no way to contact their board or directors. Awful!

• Ji
    Jim Weidenfeller Dec 02, 2015

Customer service is non-existent. Phone number is eventually answered with a message that you've received "an auxiliary number and call back on another number (not given). Then "for better and faster service our email is open and manned 24 hours" Two days later and I am still not getting an answer to my questions.