Blue Rose Cavalierspuppy mill, selling a sick dog that died

D Nov 27, 2019 Review updated:

On 6/14/19 we bought a puppy from these people, she began coughing on 6/18/19. She had worms, parasites and what we eventually found out was pneumonia. We had a bronchoscopy conducted to try to figure out what medication would help and she died during that procedure. They have been refusive in every way shape and form. We believe they have a puppy mill and simply crank out puppies that are medically unfit to sell. Buyer beware. Do not buy a puppy from these people. They leave you with no recourse at all and refuse to help with any vet bills and refuse to give you anothe puppy after charging you $2, 800 for one.

More Blue Rose Cavaliers Complaints & Reviews

Annette Holiga Dec 13, 2020

I have one of those sick puppies.. purchased mine on June 10th 2020. had so many issues.. I have posted before post July 9th... It has been an on going search and provide to get a balance for some kind of life for my puppy/. Found out she has no natural immunity. give her Bovin Colosturm for immunity, helped with her constant UTI and dry itching skin. I give her 9 strain probiotic to help with her gut and able to fight giardia. But she still gets spells of wanting to itch her behind.. She also has a cough it is more like a bull dog gurgle and a cat coughing up fur balls.. I think she has An elongated soft palate, as that is what the symptoms are like and it is an inherited fault in Cavalier.. All of this points to an non health cleared Mom and an over breeding to the point she has no natural immunity to give to her pups. My fur baby had 4 UTI in a row was so hard to get her body in a good condition to help fight these thing naturally.. this man is running a puppy mill and no one wants to do anything about it .. What is the matter with PETTA or SPCA .. get off your butt and save these poor fur Mom's from having no life and giving birth to sick fur babies, he needs to be put away.

• Ko
    KornyR Jan 26, 2021

@Annette Holiga Hi Annette, my ex-girlfriend got a puppy from here and his name is Winston. We picked him up around the same time as you and his dad was named Keo (I can't remember the mom's name). He has suffered the same issues as your puppy and had itchy skin for the first few months, Giardia, and kennel cough which has not truly gone away to this day. I was wondering if you knew if anything had happened to these despicable breeders? I was able to find their inspection reports from the Nebraska Agriculture website and they passed the inspections with no issues. Something else needs to be done here I'm just not sure what. At this point, I want to drive to their house (I found the address) and let them hear what we all have to say as they don't reply to phone calls or our emails.

Dmaj Oct 23, 2020

I was alerted via email about the most recent post by djhunz and thought I would post an update as well. We are still dealing with our sick puppy who is now 6.5 months old. If you post anything on this thread, the Kobel's will retaliate by posting something about you on their website (of course they spin the information in their favor). They are indeed selling sick dogs and instead of trying to resolve the problem and work WITH buyers, they get defensive and angry. The Nebraska Department of Agriculture is involved along with many veterinarians who are attempting to work together to discover what is causing these puppies to get so sick and unresponsive to medication. Yet, the Kobel's continue to breed and sell sick puppies knowing there is a disease spreading through their lines.

djhunz Oct 22, 2020

John Kobel continues to write his lies on Blue Rose Cavalier website about me and others who have had sick puppies or lost their puppy. He even goes as so far as to blame the person for their puppies death.
    My puppy had the procedure that he says the puppy died from, twice. What it did was get a culture so the veterinarian at the U of MN could test the culture to see what medication would work on his illness. This saved his life. Yes, there are risks with anesthesia, but that puppy would have died without the procedure.
    Because I know the truths about my encounter with John Kobel. He told me my puppy had a cough before I purchased him and now he says the puppy was healthy. I had conversations with him on the phone about it. I also have texts where I responded 2 days after I got my puppy, that he still had his cough and I had brought him to the vet the following Monday, I picked him up on Saturday. I have the vet form that he gave me and the box next to the statement: I hereby certify that I have examined the above ... to be free of symptoms of infectious, ...and or communicable diseases IS NOT CHECKED. It just infuriates me that he uses religion with all of this. The thing is that whomever he believes his maker to be, John will have his day. He will have to answer to his maker. May all who have had such heartache, you are in my thoughts.

Annette S. Jul 09, 2020

I have recently purchased a puppy from bluerose and she had dry flaky skin when I got her and I thought it was due to a recent bath but have had her now 4 weeks now and it ballooned into a sever itching so bad she is digging out her fur.. we are now on a long experiment for food allegeries but could be inherited problem so says the vet. she also as this cough everyone is talking about. there is no sign of lung or throat fluid but she gurggles and rattles then hacks. it comes and goes. I would appreciate if anyone found out what it was and how the cured it??? I am so upset I should have know better as they would not allow us to go pick up puppy at their kennel.,. I am afraid they know the right things to say to make you think they are reputable breeders but they are not. some one needs to check them out...

Hbcb Jun 26, 2020

This is the recent email I got: This is Doug Zarek with Nebraska Dept. of Agriculture, I am the inspector currently assigned to Blue Rose Cavalier’s complaints. I would like to speak with you concerning your complaint. I can be reached at [protected]. I normally work from 0730 to 1600(4;00PM) Monday through Friday. I will be working only on Monday next week but would again like to speak with you at your convenance.

Dmaj Jun 22, 2020

Thank you @djhunz and @Hbcb. I too wish you both the best with your puppies. Our puppy was also 9 weeks and we got him on June 9th. I believe he was from the litter after yours, @Hbcb. That would put them at a week apart so they were definitely exposed to the same infections. Yes, it's obviously not resolved. I'm so sorry to everyone.

Hbcb Jun 22, 2020

Also - I don't like that this is showing "resolved" when it is obviously an ongoing issue.

Dmaj Jun 22, 2020

I'm so sorry to read these posts. I too wish I had seen this before we got our puppy from Blue Rose Cavaliers. We got our puppy two weeks ago and have had similar issues with parasites/worms as well as a few other issues that were not disclosed before getting him. I agree that something needs to be done. I appreciate the information to contact the Nebraska Department of Agriculture. I plan to contact them. I have reached out to John many times since getting our puppy to discuss our issues and he either doesn't respond or when he does he isn't helpful as he doesn't want to discuss the direct issue.

djhunz Jun 22, 2020

@Dmaj I wish you all the best with your puppy. Thank you for contacting Nebraska Department of Agriculture. Let me know if you find anything that would help to put John Kobel out of business. Thank you, djh

Hbcb Jun 22, 2020

@Dmaj Which puppy did you get? We picked up ours when he was 9 weeks old on June 1st. Wondering if we have related pups. We sent John a text and it took him a week to respond with "send an email and my wife can help answer questions". We also contacted the vet who gave the health clearance and she seemed genuinely concerned and said she was going to contact John about my issues also. I do think something needs to be done if all of us are having similar issues. . .

djhunz Jun 22, 2020

I feel exactly the same way. I should have acted earlier. Yes, that is the best place to start. They take care of the licensing for breeders, I believe.

djhunz Jun 19, 2020

I remember having to hand feed Oliver. Try a canned food that is the pieces rather than solid, he seemed to like that. He also liked scrambled eggs. Keep in touch.

djhunz Jun 19, 2020

I contacted the Nebraska Department of Agriculture. They do know of Blue Rose Cavaliers. It would be helpful if you would want to contact them also, to let them know what is going on with this breeder.
    The number is 402.471.6832. Thank you

Hbcb Jun 19, 2020

@djhunz I will do this for sure. I am so annoyed by this... we thought we were doing the right thing by going through a breeder. it makes me want to shut them down. do you know if this is the best place to start?

djhunz Jun 19, 2020

I'm so sorry. Our Oliver's cough finally went away, just a few weeks ago. He's only been off his medicine for a week. He has been on quite the cocktail of medicines since November 2019. The U of Mn had him on 1/2 tablet, once per day, 100 mg Doxycycline. He weighs 12 pounds, a bit thin. He was on this earlier, but the dose was too high and it upset his stomach so the vet changed his meds. If your vet uses this. Make sure to give with food. I ended up getting canned food so he would eat a lot more to help stomach issues. I also got a probiotic from my vet, Provisble-Forte that was in capsule form and sprinkled on his food to help his stomach. Could probably get from a pet food store. Doxycycline is really hard on their stomach. Good luck to you! I call him my golden boy as I have spent thousands on him, worth it to me. But not fair. The U of MN told me he has scar tissue on his lungs from having pneumonia so long. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hbcb Jun 19, 2020

@djhunz Thank you for your response. he finished 2 weeks of augmentin, and had 1 week of doxy in before we were told to stop to do a second round of treatment for the parasites. so our doxy is on hold for now. I hope that it will work... I can't imagine having to deal with this for months. it scares me that it could kill him. we do have him on a probiotic now. but now he seems to not want to eat at all...

Hbcb Jun 22, 2020

@djhunz How many weeks was he on Doxy?

Hbcb Jun 18, 2020

I wish I would have seen these posts before getting our puppy from them. He had a cough when we picked him up, that was never mentioned to us prior. We brought him to the vet the day after we got him and he had 2 parasites, and a cough that has stumped the 4 vets at our clinic. We have done 2 different antibiotics and it will not go away. I think this is a puppy mill with very bad practices. we would never give our puppy back, but we don't know how long it will take him to get better, if he gets better at all. Blue Rose Cavalier already has 7 new puppies listed since we got ours 2 weeks ago.

djhunz Apr 15, 2020

BEWARE Blue Rose Cavalier, John Kobel also ran the following in Texas...[protected] Post
    KINGDOM CAVALIERS and RESCUE
    Under the Complaints Board: Kingdom Cavaliers and Rescue - Unethical breeder, unprofessional
    Please look this up...not good

djhunz Apr 15, 2020

BEWARE:
    I have attached a photo of the response letter I received from Blue Rose Cavaliers. My response to the why I didn't contact them sooner. I did with a text that Oliver was still coughing and I never received a response. They had always responded to my texts in the past. This spoke volumes to me. I did have Oliver to the vet within 72 hours and I responded in the text to John Kobel, which he never replied.
    John Kobels statement in the letter that Oliver was very healthy before he was delivered is false.
    Thinking back on the comments made to me in conversations on the phone from John Kobel: I was told he had a cough and his daughter, I believe (a lady's name) was taking him to the vet. I asked if he had kennel cough/(pneumonia) and was told no. I was unable to pick up Oliver on the following 2 weekends and he told me that was good as I had a young cavalier at home and they would get Oliver's cough healthy. Comment on the cold weather being hard on the puppies. Insistence on meeting elsewhere. Comment when me and my granddaughter picked up Oliver and after Oliver coughed, John said they had bathed him and he inhaled water. He also said to get Oliver in our vehicle out of the cold. I did email all the veterinary invoices (30 in all) to John Kobel. I picked up Oliver on a Saturday and had him to the vet on Monday. My invoices show my commitment to getting Oliver healthy. Hindsight is 20/20. I wanted a puppy very much and looked over many of the alarms that I should have seen. I am so glad I have Oliver and am working to get him healthy. I feel that I am due a refund on Oliver's purchase price and money toward his veterinary bills.
    I am very saddened that John Kobel is saying that Oliver was not sick, that he didn't have a cough etc. Very telling.
    My next step is the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center.
    Kindly,
    Debbie

Comments

djhunz Apr 03, 2020

Sorry, correction, Purchased November of 2019.

djhunz Apr 03, 2020

Blue Rose Cavaliers, NE.
    I would have to agree with comment above.
    I purchased my puppy in November 2020. I knew he had a cough before I picked him up, but was under the understanding that it would be taken care of. He actually coughed when I picked him up at our meeting place and I was told it was from his bath, that he inhaled some water.
    A day or so later I got him I texted that Oliver aka Nathan still had his cough. Never got a response.
    I have waited until now March 30, 2020 to contact them again. I thought it would be bad luck and being hopeful that he would get better.
    They have not responded what so ever. I have spent 4277.52 on veterinary bills, (clinic and hospital).
    My Oliver had worms, parasites, giardia, and pneumonia. I also had the bronchoscopy. He has been on many meds and still is. He has improved, but still has that cough. My next step is the U of Mn Veterinary Hospital.
    I paid 2400.00 for my male puppy plus medical 4278.00 = 6678.00
    Buyer Beware! Make sure you go directly to their facility to pick up your puppy.