America's Home PlaceNightmare

S Review updated:

We are in the middle of a nightmare.

We hired America's home place to build our house in Hillsboro, Tn, and all we have had is problems. First there were numerous delays in digging the footers. Then they dug the footers using the wrong plans, thus they were several feet short on two sides. Then the block layers laid the block based on the wrong plans. Finally, after numerous unreturned phone calls to the contractor, the footers and the block were re-dug and re-laid.

Then, the materials started arriving for the framers, but still not temporary power pole had been installed, and no framers were available to start. Thus, the materials sat out in the rain for a couple of weeks and began to warp. When the framers finally did arrive, they spoke no English, and their supervisor did not know how to communicate with them, so he just left them to their own devises. He only shows up once a day, if that, but he can't tell them anything, so then he just leaves.

To make matters worse, without the temporary power pole we were promised 6 weeks ago, the framers have had to borrow our generator, and have depended on us to provide it with gasoline. They also did not order enough materials, so our framers decided that foam boards were as good as wooden ones for the sides and the roof of the house. They are even using the damaged boards to lay on the roof of the second floor.

And, as if that isn't bad enough, we paid extra for 9ft ceilings throughout the house, it is clearly marked on the plans, but they just finished the second floor with 8ft ceilings!

I want to fire them right now, but my husband is afraid that breaking their contract will cause further delays in building our house, because they might put a lien on the property. After reading the other [redacted]s on this website, I have encouraged him to contact a lawyer and fire them anyway.

If your are considering using America's Home Place for building your home, Don't. They will promise the world, and Rip You Off!

• Bj
    bjennings Jan 01, 2022

Does anyone know if AHP wraps their homes with Tyvek & Etc and if so, when did they start?

• Bj
    bjennings Jan 01, 2022

Does anyone know if AHP wraps their houses with Tyvek & Etc and if so, when did they start?

• Ba
    Barbie campbell Mar 05, 2016

This is just 2 pictures of my house. I have lots more. Can't even cook on my stove. Vent does not work. Please get in touch with me. [email protected] thanks

Comments
    Comments

• Ba
    Barbie campbell Feb 26, 2016

Well... I was asked to stay off the internet posting about American home place builders in Macon GA. They were to come out and correct all the mistakes and the crappy work manship. Well the guy that sent has tried his best to fix everything but sometimes things are so bad they can't be repaired. And that is what happen to us. Our house is still a nightmare. I have had to start taking blood pressure meds and an antidepressant. I hate walking in the door of my house. I don't even call it a home. I have looked forward to my retirement house for a very long time. And now it's crap. I have to say they did replace the flooring in both bathrooms because the flooring was cut too short. And that is so so puzzling to me because the flooring when u come in the front door is disgusting and around the fireplace they put shoe molding had them to remove it . I have pictures of everything and there is no way the guy that they send out to repair all the flooring. If anyone else is having problems please call me [protected] Barbara Campbell toomsboro Ga. Let's all get together and close American home place. I am getting in touch with the better business bureau. And calling channel 2 . depressed in Toomsbor

• Do
    Do not use AHP Jul 08, 2015

Americas Home Place placed our house form in the wrong location, (encroaching on setbacks) They had to tear it out and could not figure out how to place the new one properly.This took over 8 months and we were still without a slab!

The superintendent did not seem to have the capability to complete -or start- our house properly. We contacted Mitch, the regional manager, to return our deposit. He did not have a grasp on what had been happening with our project, or his employees, and forced us to take them to court to get it returned. We won our case and have since been returned our deposit + legal fees.

Terrible process, terrible execution, terrible customer service.DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICAS HOME PLACE.

• De
    Depleted Sep 10, 2014

2013 RUN from America's Home Place!!! They don't care about your 30 year mortgage on their awfully built house. The lowest bidders is how they work.
    Please view this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80aQQoAfUI
    I just touched on a few items but you'll get the idea of their definition of quality workmanship. Please don't let them have collateral on your property because if you complain about the workmanship or the speed of work getting done they will not send out workers. Make sure with any builder you have a completion date in the contract!! Please don't sign with them until you see this video. I took over 400 pictures because I lived close by and couldn't believe my eyes. It started on the first day with the slab pour. Be Warned!!

• Pc
    pc422 Apr 15, 2014

"GeorgiaPatriot" is listed as Gainesville, GA. This is the same city as America's Home Place HQ. It's sad that a company can place shills on message boards but can't take care of their customers.

• Pc
    pc422 Apr 15, 2014

Our home was also built by America's Home Place and it's the worst one we've ever owned. In addition to things such as poor quality drywall (our garage now has two layers), electrical circuits labeled with a question mark and a 110V outlet wired for 220V, the shingles have slid off our roof 5 times. A roof leak allowed mildew, mold, and rot into a rear wall, and another leak allowed termites into a side wall. AHP fixed (and re-fixed in the cases of the shingles) all of this except for the termite damage. For the roof leak, we now have a piece of metal flashing sticking out of the rear wall. They rejected our request for reimbursement and we are now preparing to sue them to recover our costs. We have a website at www.americashomeplace.info that has pictures and details.

NotHappyWithAHP May 29, 2013

I too am having problems with the warranty -- America's Home Place continues to listen to me tell them that they did not fix the problems on my home and they continue to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! This has been going on for about one year now. I am considering a BBB complaint and if that fails a lawsuit.

• Dg
    dgraff Dec 27, 2012

They are the worst and come back and fail to correct items over and over again. They drag things on in order to hope you run out of money and lose your home and land due to having to pay the interest on construction loans. " I even contacted the CEO, Mr. Barry Conner and he just doesn't care what his supers do or how they treat clients. It's appauling. STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA'S HOME PLACE"

• Ms
    Ms. Taffy Nov 16, 2011

I agree with Sarah. I had problem after problem when building my home in 2004. They were hard to work with; didn't want to listen when I informed them of things done improperly. They had to repaint my entire home after I moved in due to doing it incorrectly the first time. They had to renail the floor boards due to using the wrong nails (and they begin to come up). My floors are now uneven in portions of my home due to bulking under the carpets and linoleum. These are only a few of my issues. I would not ever build or recommend anyone to build with this company...It was a horrible experience for me.

• Ho
    honestyispowerful Jun 16, 2011

To GeorgiaPatriot it's not about being perfect it's about owning up to your errors and proving customer with a pleasant experience and great workmanship, especially during one of the most important phases of families lives. Maybe u have hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch deteriorate, but everyone is not as fortunate.

Christy M Smith Apr 08, 2011

I also built using America's Home Place but I actually had a great experience during the build, it's the warranty I'm having problems with. Our upstairs jetted tub in the master bath was installed incorrectly so the 1st time we filled it over the triplever plate water poured out of the downstairs canned lights and ruined the laminate wood floor. Now, it's up to us to prove fault of AHP?!?

• Ge
    GeorgiaPatriot Nov 06, 2010

Not bad! Only a few complaints out of thousands of homes built in the last 40 years. Sorry we can't all be perfect like you Sarah. Must be that "human" thing.

Comment Guidelines