AlumniClass.comUnethical behavior regarding credit card charges

S Oct 09, 2020

In 2019 I created an account with AlumniClass.com because it was required in order to attend my 50th high school reunion. What I didn't know was that I was signing up for an annual renewal agreement. Didn't see that anywhere in the fine print. So I was very surprised to find a $30 Paypal charge to my debit card earlier this week. I immediately researched it and discovered the renewal. NEVER did I have any notice of this, nor have I ever visited their website in the past year. I went in and cancelled any future charges and wrote a polite email to Sylvia, Customer Service Manager, asking for a refund. I'm 69 years old, working from home during the pandemic and caring for a husband with severe COPD and heart disease, so every penny counts in this household. Sylvia responded with a basic "form letter" (which obviously tells me they receive many of these complaints) and said, "...all membership fees are non-refundable as stated and agreed to (see Terms of Use)." I am appalled at this horrendous rip-off and hope this company learns to better communicate, especially with seniors who are not used to automatic renewals being anything but scams. AlumniClass should be ashamed of this policy.