Aetos Holdingsunethical behaviour to hit quota @ woodlands checkpoint

D

On 11/06/2017 afternoon, I was on my way to Johor Bahru with my 4 years old son. As I drove into the passport booth which is on my passenger's side, I have to stretch over to give our passports. I was in a very awkward position therefore I returned to the seat. The next thing I knew, the officer told me 'Ok' so I stretched again to retrieve the passports. The barrier is already open when I collected the passports. After I drove out, I realized that I have forgotten to pay the toll, I was thinking about paying it in front at the office. The officer did not mention anything regarding the toll.

I drove to the Petrol Checking Point, Aetos Officer Pte Hendra (ID: 11009) stopped my vehicle and asked me about the toll. I admitted to him that I have forgotten to pay the toll earlier on. Immediatly he instructed me to park my vehicle at the side and also handover my IC and cashcard to him. He did not give me any chance to make my explaination as seems like he is in a rush.

After parking and getting out of the vehicle, I proceeded to the office and I was told by the other officer that I have to pay a composition fine of $50.00 + $3.80. I was shocked and I gave my explainations to him. He told me he would check with Pte Hendra, after their conversation in the office, they insisted that I have to make the payment on the spot. I felt that I'm being forced to pay even I have the intention to park and make the payment at the office. This is so unfair for me as I do have the intention to pay the toll. I understand that there is an average of about 2, 200 cases every month of motorists passing through the checkpoints without paying their tolls and fees, they shouldn't have forced me to pay the fine. If customs rules and regulations dictate checking every individual to this extent then its perfectly fine, but I observed I was the only person singled out for such inspection.

If this is the way the Aetos Officers do to hit their quota, I would be utterly disappointed as it is very unprofessional as they represent Singapore. Most of the time, I would go Malaysia in the night which I often see the officers busy chit chatting. So I supposed they have already hit their quota for the day therefore the slack in doing their duty. I do have friend working as Aetos Officer in Woodlands Checkpoint and I also understand they are only doing their job to feed their families.

I am very disturbed by the persistent attempts by Pte Hendra to make things difficult for me at the Customs. I am a law abiding citizen of the Republic of Singapore and I am proud of this country. I do not wish for my journey out of my country to be made so tedious. As to why he wants to make it so difficult for me, I do not know, might be for quota but I am deeply saddened by this incident. I would appreciate it if you could investigate the incident, and explain if my encounter fell within the boundaries of standard operating procedure and address my relevant concerns. I also have voice recordings of the incident. I will post it on social media platform if actions are not taken.