Advanta Bank CorpOvercharged

With no warning... and after 10 years of never having a missed payment and having never even made a late payment... AND... after drawing me in with an 8.99% promotion, Advanta has raised my rate to an incredible 36% !! Supervisors are unavailable to take phone calls (the CSR claims I will get a call back within 48 hours - we shall see). In any case, something needs to be done about these horribly disingenuous policies. Did I mention that my balance was over $15, 000 when they pulled the switch with no warning??

• Lo
    Lorraine Aug 04, 2008

Spoke with Advanta specialist today. They must have a "screw the customer script" Advanta offer me a 7.99% four month later its 20.49% Never late. Check my owe credit Not One Late in my credit history. Bait you in and screw you. Now I will pay off, But costing me an extra 300.00 in fees.

• Le
    Lee Arnhold Aug 06, 2008

They raised my rate from 7.99 to 21.99 in one month. These thieves are worse than sub-primes and should not exist. Contact your local consumer affairs and post where you can.

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

Fellow Consumers, I wanted to warn as many people as possible about Advanta Bank Corp business credit card. I signed up for this card at 7.9% always made my payments on time never missed or been late I have good credit and pay all my financial obligations. Recently I was made aware my 7.9% interest rate was increased to 25% which is an enormous increase.

The company said a letter was sent as if this justifies this ridiculous increase to my interest rate after researching this on line I found out this Advanta Bank Corp has been doing this to many consumers no matter if your credit is good or even if you never missed a payment they are simply ripping off the consumers because they can it will most likely ruin some good consumers credits.

Please get the word out about this company stay far far away from Advanta Bank Corp if this also happened to you do all you can to report it and file as many complaints as possible this company is in Utah so file a complaint with the Utah BBB and the FDIC and any others. It's a darn shame this complaint can rip off the consumers this way and good consumers at that does not make sense.

Chrisp802 Sep 16, 2008

I am a small business owner, who has suffered the same treatment by Advanta Bank Corp. Since 2005, our business card had an interest rate of 7.99%, and we have never been late, nor missed a payment. Since we have maintained a monthly balance of approximately $1, 000. Last month, in August or 2008, our statement said our interest rate was still 7.99%, so we transferd the balance from another card to Advanta's card to take advantage of this lower interest rate. Upon receiging this month's statement (September, 2008) we noticed that Advanta changed the interest rate to 25.08%, without notice, and only after the balance transfer was completed. As many other reports online have mentioned, Advanta's customer service representative was unable to offer any specific reason as to why the rate increase had taken place, nor justify the rate increase. All they could say was that they periodically review cardholder's credit scores and make adjustments accordingly.

My credit score is over 780 and my business's credit history is flawless, since it's inception more than 10 years ago - hardly reason to justify the unannounced increase.

As a small business owner, the only recourse I have against Advanta is to file a complaint with the FDIC. I have done so, but found it difficult to find exactly where / how to do so and thought it's quite important to give a few tips to other small business owners as to where exactly on the FDIC website they need to go to file a similar complaint against Advanta.

On the www.fdic.gov website's main page, on the lower right is a section titled "Top Search Results". Click on Bankfind/Insitiution Directory, and on the Bankfind page, enter "Advanta Bank Corp." in the Name field, then click the find button. Now, here's the tricky part... 3 lines below the company address, is the line "For consumer assistance regarding an issue with this institution, please contact the FDIC directly". Click on the word FDIC on that line and you will be taken to their complaint form. You can also get to the form directly at https://www4.fdic.gov/STARSMAIL/index.asp

If you're a victim of Advanta's recent practices, please do not hesitate to file a complaint against them with the FDIC. The FDIC is supposed to protect our rights, so let's make our voices heard and hope they do something about this issue!

• My
    Myke Sep 24, 2008

they raised mine from 6.99 to 34.99 over a period of 3 months. I was never late with a payment & payed triple the minimum every month. So, i payed off my 7k balance & closed the account.

• De
    DebbieL Oct 10, 2008

Thank you for posting the information about filing a complaint. I am a small business owner in NH and Advanta used the same practices with me. I started with a rate of 7.99% that was raised after just over a year with them to 19.99% in July and now, 3 months later, they have the nerve to slightly raise my rate again. I have not been late with payments. I am going to go to the FDIC's website right now.

• Valerie Oct 13, 2008

Advanta Bank Corp has been increasing my interest rate throughout 2008 until it is now 36.41%. I have excellent credit. I have made more than the minimum payment to Advanta on time each month. I have asked them for a review and have been told 'no, but you can call back for another review in 90 days'.

I believe Advanta is purposefully taking advantage of lax regulations on the credit card industry and using an offshore customer service call center to hide from legitimate questions about their business practices. This interest rate increase is now costing me so much it is putting my business in jeopardy.

Is anyone out there working on a class action law suit against Advanta Bank Corp? If so, sign me up.

• Ni
    Nikola Clay Oct 13, 2008

This Bank has done a great job of 'bait and switch'. First they offered 5% cash back on purchases. That soon switched to .o something so that it amounted to pennies a month. I had always paid my bill on time sometimes paying more than the minimum and noticed that my finance charges were going up, up up. Next thing I know the 7.99 % has gone up to 15.99 and the the cash advances went from 16.99 to 30%. I called last month to ask what the hell was going on and what are the limits as to how high the % rate can go. I was told 'there is no limit' so that it could go to 50% or even 100% if they want. As of today 10-13-08 the purchases % is at 18.31 and the cash advance is at 31.31. I'm guessing someone at the top is taking home phat bonuses while the people that answer the phones are getting minimum wages. Well, they're not gettin any more of my money. I tried to talk to them and say that I like paying my bills on time and being responsible and that if they could lower the interest rate I would contimue to pay this debt off. No chance.

Please stop these predators !
    And stop giving them your money. Give it to something worthwhile like GreenPeace or some other worthy cause.

Marisa Pippion Oct 28, 2008

I have also been bamboozal by Advanta Corp Bank on my October 2008 statement where they increased my percentage rate from 7.99% to 26.31%. I have sent emails to the president with no reply and spoke to there customer service dept which is a big joke. I really wish I had seen these complaints on Google before I applied for credit with them.

• Da
    Dan Oct 31, 2008

They are scam artists! I received a notice, "Upcoming Changes to Your Advanta Business Card Account". I read all the fine print and was able to decipher that my rate was going to rise from 7.9% to over 30%!

At first I thought it was an error and so I called them up and they confirmed that my new rate would be over 30% unless I opted out. So, I took the time to send them a letter according to their instructions so that I could opt out.

I then got a bill charging me a finance charge at the rate of 31.31%! I called them today (10/31/08) and they told me that they just received my opt out on 10/31 -- what a crazy coincidence! I had mailed it on 9/30 and according to the post office it was received by them in Salt Lake City at 8:31 am on 10/2/08.

They are so full of crap! I think some enterprising attorney needs to launch a class action lawsuit against these thieves.

• Ba
    Barbara A. Hummel Nov 14, 2008

Well what do you know I have been gouged also. My interest rate went from 7.99% to a whopping 37.18%. I called them tonite to rant and complain about the rate and why it increased so high. I was told by Mark that there are different factors that caused the rate to increase. When I asked him to break them down he could not. He tried payment history etc. etc. When I told him I have always been on time or paid before the due date and that I have a good credit score he just kept telling me that there are other factors. I told him yeah it's because they can and he did not dispute my statement. Hey guess what I will pay that balance off. That will be the last 37.08% they gouge me for. I had been with them at least 4 years and was always told the rate would remain at 7.99% till paid. Yeah more liars just like Fanny Mae Freddie Mac and so on. Yeah I bet Advanta will be crying for help to the Federal just like all the other crooks us taxpayers get screwed for cheating us Middle America.

• Ri
    Rick Nov 20, 2008

Rates raised from 11% to 36% with no advance warning. Said I didn't opt out of their scamming, overpriced card. I never received any communication concerning "opt out" opportunity. How do you prove a negative. The card holder is just screwed. No way out if you passed the "opt out" period you didn't know about. Card is cancelled by issuer and super high interest rates apply til paid off. Rip off is too gentle a word.

anonymous Nov 20, 2008

This company is tripling and quadrupling interest rates on people for NO REASON AT ALL. I have perfect credit, high credit score, not been late on payments, and pay more than the minimum amount due. And all they can tell me is, "we don't have to tell you our lending guidelines." There's nothing we can do for you. They told me I needed to use this card regularly so I would have good credit for my business. So I used it for $4000 and they took my interest rate from 7.99% to 31.38%. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF.

• Je
    Jenny Johnson Nov 28, 2008

They did that exact thing to us in October too! Balance at $16, 000, if ever late, it was 1-2 days due to mailing time. Moved the APR to 36%.. Can't get anyone that speaks Englis to talk on the phone. PLUS we are stuck in this automated dialer system because we told them we would not pay until they moved the APR down so they call 3-4 times a day..
    Bad bad situation.. no where to turn either.

• Valerie Dec 04, 2008

Increasing my interest rate more than 3x the amount is unheard of! What Advanta is being allowed to do is not only unbelievable but should be illegal. I asked several supposed 'managers' during my 56 min conversation if they were in the United States, and they said YES. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't speaking with India! So there was no mistake as to what the hell is going on here. They were fully aware of the small businesses closing, retirements vanishing, and homes being ripped out from under the average poor working slob. And yet, they still maintained 'that there is nothing they can do'.

I don't usually wish ill-fate upon anyone, but people who can stay employed at a place of business that practices screwing others without looking back should rot-in-hell! I hope they understand Karma, Karma, Karma...

• Ow
    owens Dec 15, 2008

Advanta Bank Corp took us also! Eight years with them, , NEVER late, , let
    me repeat, no late payments, , in eight years. Most on the card was just a little over 1/2 of the credit limit, , went from 7.9% to 25.9% in one month.
    Someone should stop this practice (hello Washington/Raleigh!!!).
    I didn't borrow the money for 25.9%, I borrowed the money for 7.9%!
    Stay away from Advanta Bank Corp!!

• Fi
    Firelands Lawn & Landscape Dec 23, 2008

If your credit rating has dropped after dealing with Advanta I would recommend obtaining a Company credit rating free from Equifax. You are intitled to one after you receive a letter from Advanta stating...due to changes in your credit rating. I did and the only change was that our Company Advanta credit card was cancelled due to "involuntary reasons", which was not true, we cancelled them.

An involuntary reason on a report indicated to creditors you are not a good risk. I am now fighting this Advanta and Equifax to strike this from our report.

Although filing a report with the FDIC may be good to make it known at the quantity of scams going on, they can't do anything.

I filed a report with the FDIC and received a 22 page report of rights of consumers, the cover letter was enough. We have no rights, especially in Utah where there are no limits on what a bank can do with credit cards. The FDIC cover said although they understand my complaint they can't do anything!

• Gr
    greg24k Jan 06, 2009

Same happened here, unexpectedly without any notice or any valid reason they raised my interest rate to 36.9%. After contacting them and speaking to one account manager, no valid reason is given. Speaking to another account manager, the reason for raised interest rate was late payment. It turned out to be a lie; every payment was made on time and way above the minimum payment. Speaking to account manager's supervisor, another bogus reason is given; the rate was raised because my company being in construction business, and with all the foreclosures going on, the credit company thinks we are a high risk for being in default. That is an absurd assumption. Not too, neglect the matter that banks borrowing money now from the federal government at 0% rate and all the credit card companies lower theirs rate, not raising them.
    No credit company should raise interest rate for customers who pay bills on time, to make up for the losses of others who are in default.

• Mi
    Mika Jan 08, 2009

Applied for a business card for contractors that offered: 'no annual fee', '0% fixed APR on balance transfers until September 1, 2008', '7.99 FIXED APR thereafter'. Transferred a balance to them, and on the September statement the rate had been changed to 21.9%. I called and they informed me that they have the right to change the rates at any time, so I looked at the very fine print on the back of the offer and they were right. I should have looked. Let this be a warning to others...

• Ca
    Cayla Jan 13, 2009

Well I'm joining this unfortunate group. I too was sent a "notice" that you needed a PhD to decipher and then filed it...not the best thing to do in this case. Perhaps it was the new bill format that made me sit up and take notice when I was getting ready to write them a check. They did the same thing to me...I had a 7.99% FIXED rate and after only 1 year raised my rate to 27.19% this past September. I too always paid my bill on time, gave more than what was required and never missed a payment. The supervisors I spoke to kept telling me they made this decision based on "several factors" however when I pressed them to name just one...they couldn't. After getting the same response from another rep I told them they could take their card and...(you can fill in the blanks). It all a bunch of bs and I for one would definitely be interested in a class action suit again these crooks. I immediately had the charges transferred to another credit card but unfortunately racked up significant finance charges for the past couple of months. Of course they waited until my balance was up to $18, 000. They should be arrested for fraud and unsavory business practices, along with trying to gouge good customers who actually pay their bills! THEY STINK and I am writing my Congressman, Senator and have already filed a complaint with the BBB.

• Ro
    Robert Gordon Jan 22, 2009

I agree full heartily with what business owners are saying about Advanta bank Corporation.
    I started with Advanta in 2006 with a startup interest rate of 7.99%. Over time the interest rate increased to 15.99%. I contacted a representive at Advanta for a lower interest rate, which was granted 10.99%. In May of 2008, I noticed the rate climbed to 25%. When the next month statement arrived (June) in climbed to 27.99%. I called Advanta and the representive stated there was nothing they could do. I asked to speak to their intermediate supervisor. I was on hold forever then disconnected. The next month the interest climbed to 32%. I closed the account and paid off the $5800.00 I owed them. Then I get an interest statement for $35.00, next month $55.00 and it climbs every month thereafter. I get calls three times a week (for the last 3 months) asking if I want to pay this on a credit. I tell them no... I explained to them (apparently from India) that the card was closed, paid in full, always paid on time and above minimum month amount. They concede, agree and state they (representative) will request “via computer" to request a waiver of the interest charges. that was three months ago. Yet they still call with the same written dialog.
    The government and the attorney general needs to get involved in this type of predatory lending

• Ca
    Cabinet man Jan 26, 2009

I agree with the previous comments. The same thing happened to me. After 5 years, of no late payments and no missed payments suddenly my interest rate shoots up from 8% to 36%. When I called them about it, the operator said the "Board" had changed the rate based upon my credit rating. I checked all 3 agencies and none of them had been checked and my rating at the time was *850 or excellent. I've already gotten another business card with another company at a lower rate and am going to drop Advanta like a bad habit.

Annabelle Feb 05, 2009

I opened a business credit card with Advanta Bank Corp in early 2007. They raised my interest rate from 7.99% to 12.99% in Feb 2008 then to 30.39% in Aug 2008 then to 31.31% in Oct 2008. I contacted them to ask for the reasons and was told that my credit reports indicated a problem.

So I got my credit reports from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion and called each one to have them tell me what was wrong with my credit. They all said that my credit was excellent and that nothing on the reports warranted this change by Advanta. They also told me that I had a right to know the exact reason for the increase and needed to call Advanta and demand an answer.

I once again contacted Advanta's customer service '800' number. I asked repeatedly to be told the exact reason for the increase and was given a lot of vague comments about policies and methods. And potential future problems. (Can they actually tell the future?)

Bottom line - I didn't get an answer. The customer rep kept telling me that he could not tell me the precise reason. I'm sure he was giving me scripted answers and I decided to ask him where his call center was located. He said, 'Actually, I'm in India.' I then knew the conversation was over.

I have told my employees that this card is not longer usable and I'm in the process of paying it off and closing the account. It is too bad because prior to this, I had felt that the card was good for our business and their web site was very usable. They only way they could keep me as a customer would be to pay back all of the excessive interest I have paid, roll back my rate to it's original level and assure me that this outrageous and unacceptable practice was no longer going to continue for me or anyone else.

I anyone has a means to resolve this, I'd like to know.

• dec4566 Feb 10, 2009

I am working with attorney Alan Finkel, in Commack, NY to seek justice via lawsuits against Advanta. They did the same thing to Alan and I. Alan is working with some class action attorneys to see what can be done. Contact me at [protected]@msn.com if interested in participating. We have a pretty sizeable group.

• Ba
    Bama Feb 11, 2009

Sounds like something needs to be done immediatly about this company! After reading the comments left, we understand completely. We were also done the same way with the interest rate being raised to a ridiculous amount. They are awful when you talk to them on the phone and yes they are not from AMERICA!

I think it's time the American people and small businesses deserve some help instead of these big banks and credit card companies receiving all the benefits! It's time we take AMERICA back and get rid of these banks that are taking advantage of us hard working people that do pay our bills like Advanta Bank! Let them go under and the government needs to quit bailing them out!

There are other credit card companies out there that will work with you to pay those min. payments and won't hike the interest rate up so high that you can't afford your payment as Advanta has done to so many! The whole country is hurting and it's time these ### understand that and start working with the card holders!

• Ri
    Richard Feb 18, 2009

This company offered me this credit line at 7.99% APR in October of 2007, and decided that 'Due to a recent change in my credit history', they could no longer offer that rate to me.

They decided now that I'm only worthy of a 37.18% APR, yet when I asked them what had changed so significantly in my credit, I was told that they didn't have that information. I then went and got a copy of credit report and amazingly I had a great credit score with NOT ONE mark against me.

Advanta made the decision to jack my interest rate up without one late payment to them and a monthly payment exceeding the minimum due since I signed up for this credit. I'm outraged that they have the nerve to attack my credit standing and in turn are now charging me $475.00/month in interest!!!

With the economy the way it is right now and the cost of supplies within any business going up, this is the last thing that ANY business owner needs. This company is nothing but CRIMINAL!!! I hope that a stand is taken against them and that other business owners and consumers that have been taken ADVANTAge of by this company are compensated.

• Bo
    Bob H Feb 21, 2009

We've just gone through the same thing. They have raised our rate repeatedly over the last several months. At one point in October they raised the rate and lowered the limit without notification ( they claim they sent it) then posted the charges to the account and charged me an over the limit fee as the new rate raised the balance above the new limit. Advanta is a perfect example as to why lenders need regulation. These people need to be investigated by the Fed.

• dec4566 Feb 22, 2009

I am working with attorney Alan Finkel in Commack, NY who is working with some state class action law firms to seek action against Advanta. If your interested in particpating, please e-mail me at [protected]@msn.com.

• Ge
    Gerald Mar 03, 2009

I just want to email you to let you know how greed on the part of credit card companies and bank have affected our lives. First of all, in 2003 we had our home in Phx, AZ for sale. We moved to SD to be with ill parents while the AZ home was in escrow. The sale fell thru, and we ended up paying TWO house payments every month for an entire year. To be clear, we paid 850/month for our sd residence, and also paid 1120/month for an empty home in PHX. We tried to get Washington Mutual to work with us, but they would not, since we were 'not late'. We were trying to live on half the income we had while in phx, yet paying double the bills. Washington mutual would not accept a short sale of even one thousand dollars less than we owed. We incurred and extreme amount of debt for this year of hell. We somehow managed to keep our credit scores clear of any late remarks and finally dug our way to where we could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now several years later, we have been taken advantage of again, for our willingness to pay pay pay. We work extremely hard like most americans. We do not have new cars, new appliances, new anything. We do not have cable tv or video games for our kids. we just want to get out of debt.

In Dec 97, we had our last payment due to Bank of America. This card at one time had a 13.5K balance on it. We paid 202/mo on autopay for years. Dec97 the last amt due was 28 dollars. The amt did not come out as usual so it was 7 days late by the time i caught it (my dad was dying at that time, but i still caught the bill in time to calli it in)...Well, somehow they ended up reported it as 30 days late. Right that very month and a few months after, all our credit card companies started sending us optouts, rate increases, changes in terms, etc. So I thought what is going on here, and checked our cr reports. Sure enough BofA reported us late and that is certainly why Advanta decided they had a right to default us to 36%!!! No way on earth would i ever pay this. ever. We are used to 0-9% rates. And we have never ever been late paying ANYONE, ever.

So I called them and they tried to weasel out of it saying that the credit report has nothing to do with it, etc. I told them the late mark is a mistake and i will prove it. They made us opt out and made our rate 24.99. I told them i would only pay that for a few months until i can show them the mistake and then we should get our 7.9back. They basically laughed at me. The laws are on their side and they know it. It has taken until September o8 to get two of the credit bureaus to fix this. I had to stay on top of BofA, equifax, TU, Exp, constantly. Now all three do not show the late in 12/07 for BofA. But mysteriously, equifax shows the same date and late mark for MBNA! I called the ph# on the report and it is indeed that same erroneous account report but since BofA was bought out by MBNA it is showing up on that, even after it was removed from the bofa...they just moved it over the the MBNA listed. Unbelievable. So now, even after all that, our TU score is 708, Exp is 701, neither showing any lates or derrogatory marks... and equifax is 698 with a 30 late error for 12/07. I called Advanta to tell them about the mistake being cleared on two bureaus and they have absolutely ZERO desire to deal with it. If it does not benefit us, consumers, taxpayers, americans, to pay our bills on time, why should i continue to care? I would rather flush this payment in particular down the TOILET (or actually better yet, use it to pay more ethical companies or pay for counseling for my trouble niece) each month than give it to an insensitive, greedy, crook!!!

What can I do? What can we do? I know for a fact that I have worked my entire life to maintain integrity and hard work ethics and character. I refuse to be taken advantage of any longer. If that means filing for bankruptcy at this point I just may have to do it. I cannot afford to pay these interest rate increases. Not even until 2010 when some laws will be changed and maybe not even help us as it will be too late. Period. No way. No how. Just cannot do it. I cannot keep spending valuable time trying to get them to be reasonable when it is not part of the deal that they have to try to be.

• St
    steve Mar 03, 2009

I am in the same boat paying 35%. I was determined to close the account but the down turn in business due to the economy has made that difficult and I have never missed a payment. I just want to know where their office is. They appear to have no bank branches either. Where can I picket? Who is the CEO or President?

I will be contacting the Connecticut Attorney General for help. Experiences like this are why this country is hurting now. When I called to ask them why they were charging me this interest rate they would not even comment as to the reason. Now I just want to get rid of all credit cards. I plan to get out of the borrowing business. Lax federal laws and politicians taking payoffs is what has allowed this to happen.

• Ce
    centa Mar 08, 2009

Same thing happened with me. If there is a way to hold them accountable please let me know. Their apr of 35% put me over the edge. I was told there was no "opt out"...that I had to go into credit counseling with a CCCS (nonprofit)...has to be a nonprofit they said...then the interest rate is, get this, 0%!!! How can that be? Because they make so much from their 35% +. Where are the Usury laws to protect the consumer, especially now?

I am interested in following this into a lawsuit if there are enough of us. I have been forced especially from this card alone to go the route of "credit card counseling" which ruins your credit but is the only way to control the off the charts interest rates, because they are capped.

• Bo
    boat Mar 17, 2009

We applied for this credit card several years ago because after doing some research it sounded like a good company to deal with. The interest rate was a reasonable 7.99 % until the last several months when it skyrocketed for no valid reason; no late payments, no overlimits etc. This company passed themselves off as "working with small businesses " but now their true colors have come out, and trying to speak with representatives is useless. Talk about gouging the small business owner, they are masters.

• dec4566 Mar 21, 2009

I am working with an attorney in NY who is working on legal action against Advanta. E-mail me at [protected]@msn.com if interested in participating.

• Mo
    Mort Apr 03, 2009

Same for me. Favorable introductory rate, then, without any justification, it shot up to 25%, and a couple of months later to 36%. These people are thieves, plain and simple.

• Mi
    Mike Apr 06, 2009

the same happened to me. started out at 7.9% sent me plenty of checks and told me all checks would be treated as purchases. I never been late never been over my limit with them or anyone else. never. So how was I treated for being a good customer they raised my interest to 30.9% . They also said they sent me a litter to opt out I never received that letter . Nothing I can do about that it's my word against theirs. how can these crooks be stopped.. It's almost like they want you to fail by first taking your limit away from you, and if that doesn't work they raise your interest and there is nothing you can do...

Jack Apr 10, 2009

Contact your State's Attorney General and file a complaint. I was accepted into a "payement program" since I could no longer afford the minimum payments due to the economy. 60 equal payments and the card is paid off. I just found out that for the past year, while I have been paying the installments, Advanta has been dinging my credit report for 120 days late. I spoke to some ignorant [censored] today and asked to be transferred to a supervisor. The supervisor then hung up on me. This is unbelieveable!

• Cl
    Clara Apr 18, 2009

Same happened to us, suddenly got 35%, after we stop paying as get into a paying plan, they call 3-4 times a day with the most
    aggressive people, call Saturdays at 8am and Sundays!!
    They will find economy is going to turn around and they will have so bad reputation they will get it back, will never have another account with them and do not recommend anybody this bank

• Hi
    HiJacked May 03, 2009

I've been a Advanta cardmember for over 3+ years, all the while never missed any payments or was late. I held a balance of $3200 with a total credit limit of $7500 and my credit score is 790. Well, I thought after my expiration came due, I would receive a roll over credit rate of the same interest and all would be well. Not so, as they jacked my rate from 7.9% fixed for life of loan to 32% without any notice other than an Opt-Out letter that I received just 3 days before it had to be filed with them so I missed that option. I say to everyone that's been scammed by this bank and suffered deliberate credit account sabotage by their fraudulent acts to their credit file, we should all call our Congress critters and State AG offices and if they don't do anything, make the trip to these bank headquarters and have a protest rally in front of their corporate building. Hell, if this doesn't get anywhere, we could stalk their residences and harass them and make them pay for their abuses... I'll do it if they continue on as I've got nothing to lose! We need a freakin' revolution not just "CHANGE" slogans or a tea party!

• Po
    postmanjm May 04, 2009

THERE SHOULD BE A NATIONAL EMAIL CAMPAIGN TO CANCELL ALL CREDIT CARDS AND BOYCOTT ADVANTA. THEY ARE CROOKS .
    THEY DID THE SAME TO ME FROM 6.99 &7.99% JUMPED TO 36.99%. THE SAD PART IS THAT THE GOVERNMENT ALLOWS THIS TO CONTINUE. ALSO WRITE TO SENATORS AND CONGRESSMANE

• Br
    broke in CT May 06, 2009

I belive what Advanta is doing is illegal, and I would join a clas action suit... Pulled in by the 2.9% rate to move debt over, my interest also leapt to over 30%. I am peppered (harrassed) by calls (several a day, never the same person), with threats (a little late since they are have already ruined my credit score). They claim hardship "because they did not receive TARP money...Is that becasue they are not really a bank??? Where are the regualtors?!