2003 Saturn VueMajor transmission problems

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue with major transmission problems. I bought the car with 35000 miles on it, at 35990 the car starting making a grinding noise and found out the transmission was having problems, Saturn said they fixed it.

I drove to about 70000 miles and heard the same noise and took it to Saturn, this time the transmission had to be completely replaced. I thought at this time I was safe for the life of the car, because it had a new transmission. I am at 10300 miles and the same noise has appeared again. I called saturn consumer customer call line and was told to take it to a dealership and have it diagnosed. I did this and was told that the end cover needed to be replaced and that it could be flushed but this would only be at temporary fix. I called Saturn back and was told that the transmission needed to be completely replaced again and that it was out of warranty and they would cover half as a good will gesture and I would have to cover the rest. I asked how that could be when they had put a brand new transmission in at 70000 miles and it went out again. I also told them that I was aware that they have had severe problems with this model year car transmissions, the girl on the other line stated that was not true. I am at my wits end, I cannot afford another car, I still owe alot and cannot afford another one at this time. I am beside myself and don't know what to do. I thought I would come here to see if there was help out there that I did not know about that you could point me to.

• Ne
    neiler Mar 15, 2015

what noises are heard? like the center console roaring from 2 mph to 8-mph?

• Wh
    whitey82086 Dec 05, 2014

2003 Saturn sucks just got a 2003 Saturn vue I have had it for 1 month transmission went out

• 20
    2006SaturnVue Dec 02, 2013

I have had a very bad experience with Saturn Customer REPS. My 2006 Saturn Vue had been sluttering in low rpms (around 1500). I called Saturn customer service and found out a recall to reprogram the transmission module and replace the torque converter. I took it to the Rainbow GMC Delearship in Covington [protected]) who worked on my car to fix the problem. The problem was fixed for a week and half. And then, BAM!, I have the exact same problem.This time it was worse, so I called the rep. JOEL (he worked on the car) who wanted me to pay a fee to look at the car and to fix it. So I tried calling the Customer Care [protected]) to see if tehy would save me from the ripoff. I talked to ASHLEY on 12/2/13 who insisted that I have to pay and there was no way around it. I asked her very polietly to put her in my shoes and fix the job that they did not do right. She just wanted me to pay more money. I am not a rich guy and I was not trying to get something out from them just like that. I just asked her to make sure the guys did what they were supposed to do. She was being very depanding and so I asked her if I could record the conversation, she became really defensive and and blamed me that it's been over a month and I'm complaining. But I talked to the other agent on Nov. 1 and got my car back around the 6th of 7th. I tried to call them last weekend but the lines were crazy because of thanksgiving. It's been less than a month and General Motors will not look over their mistake and fix it ? This is just sad. This is my 3rd car from GM and I'm done. I've never been dealt so bad before. Bad job, and a horrible customer service. I would have been satisfied if they just looked at what they did and made sure the quality of work they did was good. I was going to upload the audio, if Ashley([protected] Ext: 40684) let me record it, but she went totally defensive and on a NO spree. She did not even tell me her ID# and was hesitant to give her extension out. Stay out of GMC. Seems like they've lost their sense of quality work, responsibility and honesty. I would hate to do business with a company that cannot gurantee their services. Never buying a GMC again. My car has 10500 miles and I've cleaned the fuel injection system and replaced the spark plugs.

• Vu
    VUE OWNER Aug 09, 2012

I HATE THIS CAR I'VE BEEN CHANGING AND REPAIRING THINGS ON IT SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE PRONTO BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT DRIVING ONE OF THESE CARS

• Am
    amanda92 Jun 13, 2012

I Cant stand this freaking car it has every problem listed by everyone else, and I bought it from Bertera with a bad credit program now I am paying 320 a month for a peice of crap that is unsafe for my four kids and cant afford to gett it fixed

• Cr
    cristina paul Jun 11, 2012

and now what Saturn? i imagine all the CEO's have cars that drive. i don't. the transmission on my Saturn 2003 gave out.

• Ti
    Tired of Saturn May 07, 2012

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue. Driving along one day and the car just stops. had some problems earlier with the ignition locking and not wanting to turn over. Now I have been told that there is a problem with the computer module needing to be replaced. I am so over this...

MariAuro Jan 14, 2012

2003 Saturn Vue totally unwanted. We bough the car hoping to get to work on it, but now we are just working to pay for all the repairs it needs. recently we replace some parts of the engine...now the transmission!!!
    and no dealer wants them back...any info on the civil actions?

• Tn
    Tns422 Dec 07, 2011

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue and guess what the transmission went. I called GM and they had told me that they are no longer honoring the 50% or $5, 000. My car has only 95, 000 miles on it. Does anyone know if they are still going with this class action against GM or is it over with? If it is still going on how do you become apart of it? I never had a problem dealing with Saturn ever since GM took over they don't care about the Saturn customers, it is what it is they just want you to buy their brand and then they will treat you better!!!

• Cm
    CmdrNoval Nov 28, 2011

I can say this... The drivetrain of the Vue was designed solely for the sub-compact... It was never designed to pull the weight of an SUV loaded with passengers... Some "genius" at the GM Design Center made the call to use this drivetrain in this vehicle... To all of our dismay... I hate to even see one pull in my shop, because I know I am going to have to tell some poor soul that they got screwed. What many of you may not be aware of... This "VTI" transmission actually uses a rubber belt as the internal drive mechanism... This is why the failures are sudden and silent... There is also no dipstick in this transmission to check the fluid level... Low fluid levels cause the belt to degrade rapidly, and without warning. Rid yourself of this vehicle as soon as possible. Also, Saturn is not the only Manufacturer that used this type of transmission... Chrysler and Honda, amongst others use a "CVT" transmission which is of the same flawed design. And those makers are having the some of the same issues. Honda uses a much higher quality belt and suffer less failures, but really it is not worth the risk when spend that big money... When you buy a new vehicle... DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

• Sm
    smf_7 Nov 08, 2011

###in Transmission problems again on our 2003 4cyl. @ 95, 000 miles. WTF!

• Di
    disgusted 12 Sep 28, 2011

I have a 2003 vue and the transmission saga continues. I have already replaced twice and now it needs another one. GM will not cover a new transmission for no more than 12, 000 miles so no help there. I can not believe they were allowed to get bail out money when they have caused some much harm to their consumers. It is just not right.

• Jb
    jbfirebird Aug 15, 2011

the honda transmissions that were used prior to 2006 were well known for having problems.

• Na
    NanMirBer Aug 15, 2011

2003 Saturn Vue owner... long story short. Same problem as everyone else on here!!! GMC wants to charge me 5, 000 to replce it! Hell no!

• Ho
    hopenpray Jun 17, 2011

Re:2003 Saturn Vue faulty transmission
    I purchased the vehicle used with 66, 835 km and now it has 134, 722. Yesterday, I was informed by the automotive service department that it needs a new transmission. After speaking with GM head office I was told my extended warranty was indeed only valid until 160, 000 km or 8 years (whichever comes first), and the time limit had run out on December, 9 2010. I explained to Sue (GM representative ) I still expect financial compensation because the odometer is well below the 160, 000 km and as stated in the GM letter sent to me it should qualify for replacement. But she said, there is nothing they will do.
    Since purchasing the vehicle in March of 2007, it has regular maintenance, including changing the transmission fluid. Now, after reading MERCHANT LAW GROUP LLP class action lawsuit against GM, I have recognized the extreme danger involved, to me and my passengers, when driving. This is not good, I expect GM to replace the defective transmission immediately and warn others of the unsafe risk to themselves, when driving a Saturn!

• Ku
    kukulkan Jun 10, 2011

i have had a 2003 veu for couple weeks i buy trough the craistlist, i was out my brother did for me but when i ask to the seller about evry thing, he toll me that, the veu was perfect w/o no problems and me naive i belived, so here i'm
    with the trsmission problems the car seems like is ok, but has a little noise and i can't here when the trasmission shift, but go and i notice that if i let go the pedal a little off por couple secons seems like the trasmission shifts the gears, my ? how long is gonna take to broke down ?

• De
    Deryck Minoo May 11, 2011

My 2003 vue 4cyl 2 wheel drive is in the shop for the 3rd time in 6 months for transmission issue, driving along and all of a sudden my acceleration ringing out and i not going anywhere, SATURN SUCKS!

• Ph
    PhillyVUE May 04, 2011

I really wished I knew about this site a long time ago. Here's my story...

My wife and I bought a 2003 Saturn VUE back in July of '03. It quickly became the family vehicle. Loved the car until right after I paid if off in 2008...transmission - shot.

Thankfully, it was right at the time they were replacing all the 2003 Saturn VUE transmissions. I got my "new" transmission, but at the same time, had to pay for a new Catalytic Converter. This was all when my VUE was at 84, 000+ miles.

Every year since 2008, I have at least ONE major repair on the car (ie: Timing belt, Cylinder replacement, Serpentine Belt, etc.). Just about two weeks ago, my transmission went again. I had the car towed to my local mechanic who recommended I have GM take over to hopefully be in line for a new transmission based on the "Special Reimbursement Policy 09280". (50% reibursement or $5000 toward a new GM vehicle)

I'm worried because, my car is at 120, 000+ miles and this policy "expired" at 100, 000 miles.

I have a 4pm EST conference call with my GM Districy Specialist to discuss my options. I need to fight this because I feel it's unacceptable for my car to need a new transmission after 2+ years.

As it stands now, it's gonna cost me $5000 to get my VUE back on the road. I'd rather get $5000 toward a new/used car.

• Da
    Dale Payne Apr 17, 2011

Bought a 2003 Saturn Vue 4cyl AWD w/132, 188 mi from Copart in Hartford, CT. on 3-29-11. Transporter delivered the car to our driveway in MI on 4-4-11. We bought the car for my granddaughter who is away at school. Spending the next several days totalling cleaning it inside and out, we drove it about 12miles round trip to have 2 small stone chips in the windshield fixed. A few days later I took it to pick up my son at a repair shop about 2 miles away where he was having another vehicle serviced. On the way there, the car lost power and the "reduced power" light came on. You know the rest of the story. $6300.00 to rebuild the trans, or $4771.00 for a "new" one.

After reading all the testimonials I've just read, there's no way I will put my granddaughter at risk knowing the trans may fail again even after being replaced. Copart listed the car as "normal wear", with NO mention of mechanical problems. Of course their CYA approach eliminates them from any liability. It's been a very expensive learning experience. At 71 you would think I shouldn't be so naive

• 03
    03 vue owner Apr 17, 2011

I have a 2003 vue I bought used from a dealer about a year ago. i loved the car but about 2 months after purchasing it a "reduced power light" would come on whenever it would come on the car would not want to go. i called a saturn dealer to see what it could be but all they could tell me is that it was "normal". i have 2 children and was worried every time i would drive the car that the reduced power light would come on and i wouldnt be able to drive at the speed limit. Then about 7 months after i got the car after parking the car and then about 15 min later trying to drive the car would go into drive but would not drive, after letting it sit for a week it would drive but not go in reverse. i took it to a transmission place hoping that it was something small, for them to tell me it is the transmission and will cost over $4000 to fix. i have only only had this car for a year. its very stressful thinking i was getting a good reliable family car and instead getting a piece of junk that i still have to make payments on but cant afford to fix. i was always told that saturns are great cars but after this car i will never own another saturn.

• So
    SorrySuckerForever Apr 14, 2011

I wish I would have seen this site before I bought my 2002 V6 AWD Vue. Oh my gosh, this car is a piece of crap. I recently decided to stop buying very very used vehicles and paying for them outright and decided to go into debt for a Vue. I am regretting everything about the decision.
    I bought my Vue on April 9th, 2011 with 88, 339 miles on it.
    At first I really wanted to blame the dealership for putting such a piece of crap on the lot to sell to some schmuck like me. After doing research on all the problems that I am experiencing with it I now realize that I cannot entirely blame the dealership. Ugh, how upsetting.
    During the test drive the turning signals did not work at every turn and there was an annoying squeak in the brakes. I immediately interrupted the test drive and took it back. The salesman drove it into the mechanics bay and then came back about 15 minutes later telling me that it had been fixed. (I should never have trusted that it had been "fixed"!) I asked if I could drive the car again now that the signals were working and was told that he had another appt and if I wanted this car today I had about 15 minutes to make up my mind and sign the contract. I agreed like a Jack - you know what.
    While driving the car home I did find that the squeak had been fixed. I had driven about 5 miles and taken 1 right hand turn. The turning signal worked. I was satisfied...until I had to get on the interstate and barge into traffic traveling at a speed of 70 mph. My turning signal FAILED to get me on the interstate safely. I was pissed!
    I called the dealership and told them I was coming back to get the car fixed. I was told that they needed to order a new ignition switch to fix the problem turning signals. Maybe I am lacking intelligence in this area but since when does the ignition switch have anything to do with the turning signal switches? So I had to wait until MOnday to take it back to the dealership to fix the signals. "Ok", I thought to myself. I can make it that long and not drive the vehicle. On the drive home (about 45 minutes) I noticed that the car was working really hard to accelerate as well as shift and the engine sounded so ill - ill bad, not ill good.
    While accelerating after stop lights the RMP's went as high as 4500 just to get up to 25 mph. I do not slam on the gas pedal and drive like a 80 year old. This was not an operator error, this was the car.
    There is a long list of other things that happened on the drive home such as the CD player "eating" 5 of my CD's and then showing and "Err" when trying to eject them. Also the car charging ports/cigarette lighters did not work. I travel for work and am on my cell for many hours a day, these not working was a let down.
    Getting to the point, I was told by the dealership that the ONLY thing wrong with the car was the catalytic converter. After replacing this the car still acted the same and it is now out of warranty and I am SOL.
    Oh and the turning signals, the dealership still cannot find out why they fail to operate sometimes. RIDICULOUS!!! If you are honestly looking into buying a Vue, DON'T. You will regret it forever. What a waste of money and a waste of fiberglass. Thank you Saturn for being such a POS. I guess the bright side is Saturn is now bankrupt and will no longer be manufacturing pieces of junk.

• Ne
    Never Again L.A. Apr 14, 2011

I have a 2003 and 2004 Vue, no serious problems until now, both transmissions are making noises and slipping. I went to the repair shop and was told that the 1st gear is malfunctioning. The repairman suggested that since the transmission is "sealed", can only add special transmission fluid, to repair, the transmission have to be removed, etc. He suggested that I wait until I reach 100, 000 miles or so and then repair. He stated I could repair the 1st gear today, and in a couple of months something else go wrong, and it starts over and over again. The engines act like they are backfiring, have had the brakes changed, rotors checked, and brakes still squealing. Right now, I can't believe that some of these items have not been recalled I knwo the cars are getting old, but, I didn't plan on having to buy another car in my senior years. Everyone can't be experiencing the same things and nothings being done.

• Br
    brj Mar 31, 2011

I bought a 2003 Saturn vue in 2007. Last year at 93, 000 miles I had to have the transmission replaced. A week ago had the engine replaced and yesterday a emission control module. This car has been nothing but trouble. I would also be interested in getting in a class action suit. I have put more money into this car than it is worth but since I still owe on it...dont really have a choice. I will never buy a Saturn again!

• Bh
    bhersch Feb 27, 2011

mine leaks to

Anais1963 Feb 24, 2011

I am trying to galvanize enough people from this complaint board to file another litigation against GM. Contact me by email if you are interested. Below is a letter I sent to GM and to the Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Administration or www.nhtsa.gov:
    I am appealing with all due respect for a complete remedy from General Motors. In 2007 I purchased a 2003 from Saturn of Marietta in Marietta Georgia. Initially I expressed the desire for another vehicle (a honda suv) but the sales people at the dealership were adamant about this particular and finally talked me into it. They told me it was better than a honda suv, etc. In March 2008 I moved to Charlotte N.C. because of a job opportunity. Then in the summer of 2009 the vehicle began making a very peculiar noise. I took it to two transmission shops who refused to work on it. At the time I did not understand why they refused this work. However, I was blessed when the second one told me that he had heard of some issue with these cars and recommended I take it to the Saturn of South Boulevard. I did so. It took me the entire summer to scratch and save to get the transmission repaired. When I took it to the dealership they advised me that GM would take care of the bulk of the costs because of the extended warranty to second owners on the vehicle. That's all they told me. In August of 2009 I finally was able to save enough money to pick up the car which they repair the transmission to the tune of approximately $3400.00. Fast forward to approximately on January 16, 2011 the car began making the same peculiar noises. Now this is ONLY 27, 000 miles and 18 months later. So I took it to 3 repair shops including Steve Moore Chevrolet on South Boulevard (because they do all the work for Saturn now I was told). The issue has now reoccurred. Only two weeks ago I found out that the car was initially put on the street with the wrong transmission which is why it has issues. And I also found out that in 2009 someone should have told me about some $5000 reimbursement so I could have traded it in. Driving is dangerous because it can stop while driving on the highway.

ANGRY VUE OWNER Feb 06, 2011

I'VE HAD MY 03' VUEV FOR A LIL OVER A YEAR AND A HALF AND AM ALREADY GETTING MY 3RD TRANNY PUT IN I STILL OWE A LOT ON THIS CAR AND WAS TOLD BY THE BANK THAT I CAN VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER THE CAR, HOWEVER; AFTER IT IS AUCTIONED OFF I AM STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BALANCE IS THERE ANYBODY WHOM I CAN CONTACT THAT WILL HELP ME ?

ANGRY VUE OWNER Feb 06, 2011

I'VE HAD MY 03' VUE FOR A LIL OVER A YEAR AND HALF AND AM CURRENTLY ON MY 3RD REPLACED TRANNY IT SEEMS TO FAIL EVERY 5 TO 6 MONTHS AND I OWE A LOT ON THE CAR AND I WAS TOLD EVEN IF I VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER THE CAR ONCE IT IS AUCTIONED OFF I WILL STILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BALANCE IS THE ANYTHING I CAN DO THIS CAR IS KILLING ME MORE PROBLEMS THEN ANY OTHER CAR

Anais1963 Feb 03, 2011

I am in the process of seeking legal advice about this 2003 Saturn Vue because when it was sold to me I was told how great it was. Plus I was going to buy another car but the sale person pushed this one on me. In August 2009 I paid almost $4000 to get the transmission fixed. Now approximately 18 months later the transmission is having the same issue. I am upside down in the car in terms of payments plus I cannot afford another car. I am stuck, and very upset.

• Fl
    flyerman1987 Jan 30, 2011

My 2003 Saturn with VTI is in the driveway. Wont go forward or backward. Really good shape and only 37K miles. Had the GM letter for about a year now. Always will be a GM buyer because of father working there 41 yrs, but Im starting to see why they went out. 99 Malibu has chronic air intake gasket problems too. Remember they took out a full page ad in USA today before bankrupcy, and apologized to the public about quality issues. I dont think Im having the Vue fixed, just going to take the $5K and get a new car, which I dont want; but dont want the Vuew either.

• Sg
    S Gardner Jan 25, 2011

My 2003 Saturn Vue with VTI died on me last night. Running fine, pulled away from stop sign and suddenly it's as though all gears are in neutral including reverse. I've had this car since it was new. I've had nothing but "drive train" related issues. I've had two transmissions replaced; one under warranty and one with Saturn picking up 75% of the cost. This last transmission was replaced less than 20, 000 miles ago!!! The car has 140, 000 miles which for this model seems to be exceptional!! It's paid for but I really don't want car payments!!! GM offer be a good deal on a new car PLEASE or I'm going for a FORD this time!!!

• Is
    isaac mathieu Dec 22, 2010

we should report the gm scam to the federal trade commission repeteadly until we get and aswer about that stinky saturn vue. or foward those e-mail to all the federal agencies, we may get some resolt.

• Am
    amberguillen Oct 23, 2010

i have a 2003 the transmisson went out twice the dealership fixed it twice now 2 years later again now its out of warrenty i guess they think that we can just throw thousands and thousands of money away and its no big deal i really wish there is something i could do to get it fixed now i have years of payments and a piece of [censor] car sitting in the driveway broke

Maidez Aug 23, 2010

I am having the same transmission problems as so many others here with my 2003 Saturn Vue -- 3rd time the transmission needs to be replaced, and now it's supposedly out of warranty, even though it was last replaced on 8/20/09, and today is 8/23/10 - 3 days past the expiration date!

And now the Saturn brand does not exist anymore. So there will no doubt be a whole raft of new problems like mine, as the various dealerships struggle with the mess that Saturn apparently made (and it pains me to say that, because there were so many things about Saturn that I truly loved).

Anyway, I read the following comment from another person out here, and so I just called the number she provided, and I filed a complaint. The person on the phone said I should also call the Federal Trade Commission at [protected]. So I plan to do that, too. Here is the comment I read on this website, from another disgruntled Saturn Vue owner:

"I just got of the phone with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) who informed me that they are going to start an investagation on this matter with the 2003 Saturn Vue. They do recommended that if you are having or have had any problems with this particular make, model and year to file a report with them. There website address is www.safercar.gov or call them at [protected]. The more they hear about our problems the more likely they will issue a recall and then we can get some kind help so please contact them."

I am making the same recommendation and plea as this other Saturn owner. If you are having similar problems, please make these two simple calls to get your voice heard.

Thank you.

• Bo
    boots6868 Aug 05, 2010

My daughter bought a 03 saturn vue in october of 09, it was used and had 92k on it. she purchased it against my better judgment, I kept telling her something made me have this gut feeling this car would be a lemon. She persisted and bought it anyway. She is a great person @ 22 years old she has 1 year old twin boys and works hard for her money! 4 months after she got the car the tranny starting slipping and she had to rev it up to get it to grab it finally died, Being a 3rd party owner GM did decide to cover 1/2 the cost, her end was 2, 500.00 (she paid 6, 500.00 for it used) she sucked it up and paid the money figuring this would be good for a LONG time now. that was february here we are in August and the car started running rough at idle, check engine light on, but no tranny slip. I figured shes ready for a tune up. she calls me out on the highway and tells me another light is on, this one says reduced power. I tell her to get it to the shop and have a friend follow. the looked the car over and told her it needs another tranny! They tell her they will cover 1/2 again! she explains this part should be covered under warranty (she had 12 month 12k mile warranty) she was within the time line @ 6 months but she had put on 18k miles so she was over the warranty! B.S! this really sucks for her Now i know why ive been a die hard FORD boy all my life. So anyway they tell her GM will give her 5, 000. trade against a new one as is..So she picks out a 2010 HHR. now they tell her she doesnt have enough credit built up to buy it without a co-signer. well im like most working Americans my credit is sketchy at best, so now she got her back against the wall. pony up another 2, 500.00 and drive it for a while till it goes out again, or sell it with the new tranny (she wont do that to someone) or junk it and buy another car with little money she has left. you could not give me a GM product for free! I think we park these saturns in GMs front yard out at Detroit! it might get their attention when they look out their windows and see 100, 000 cars sitting out their! My advise to anyone buying a saturn! The same as i told my daughter the day she looked at it. Dont walk away...RUN!!!

• Pw
    pweyersberg Jun 16, 2010

I am having the same problems with the 03 Saturn Vue. I bought the car in April of 2008. In Sept of 2008 the transmission on the car went bad. Saturn replaced it. Again in Nov. 2009 the transmission on the car went bad again. Again Saturn replaced it. Now again only 7 months later the transimission on the car has gone bad. But, this time Saturn is not replacing it and I'm the creek with out a paddle. I will never buy a GM again!!!

• Ra
    Rach11 Jun 13, 2010

I am having all the same issues with my 2003 Vue - had the transmission replaced once at 70, 000 and now at 95, 000 same problems. What I would like to know is if there is any new class action against GM? This is such gross negligence on the part of GM. There must be something we can do??!!

• Ta
    Taken for a fool by GM in CA Jun 07, 2010

Sadly, we too are going through the same thing. The 2003 Saturn Vue we purchased 3 years ago has decided to die on us. Perfect timing too, due to the CA budget crisis my wife has been laid off.
    The real problem is that GM was unwilling to do anything about the problem because it was purchased at a used car dealership. For months we have been trying to get the vehicle looked at and fixed to no success. Finally they figure out what is wrong and it is no longer covered under the "GM noticed the transmission was a problem, but by no means a recall” warranty, as I was told on the phone by Jennifer the District Specialist for our area.

Now in the midst of all of this I have two dealers (GM certified) telling me that its two different things...one says that the TCM needs to be replaced when the other is telling me that the transmission body valve needs to be replaced.

And if this isn't enough...it was only a few months ago that we took our vehicle in for full maintenance...we were told it was running so badly because it simply needed a tune-up. Yeah, your right...it only needed an 800 dollar tune up GM!

I second the Tupperware on wheels comment!

• We
    WendyRB4 Jun 07, 2010

I totally agree. I posted my dealings with my Vue months ago as well. The only way to even get something back for this hunk of junk is to use it as a trade in when getting an entirely different vehicle!

• Th
    thebarts Jun 06, 2010

My advice to anyone considering a fix--DON'T DO IT!!!

This was our very first new car purchase in 2002--we got an 2003 Vue. First ran into problems around 30, 000 miles. They had to replace the tranny. Then somewhere around 60, 000 is when they finally realized the many problems people were having w/this tranny and they offered a recall. Got a new one put in. Around 90, 000, the engine went. We replaced it at our cost through our mechanic who is a friend. Almost wish we didn't bother... we are about +30, 000 miles now and seems like the tranny is going yet again! If that is the case, it is gone. Thankfully the thing is paid off... but really, nothing w/problems w/this car. I would never put another large expense repair into it. Ditto to others--it's just a piece of junk.

The latest recall is so bogus--GM paying for half the tranny.. please. And at their repair shop prices..what a joke. My mechanic could do it for much less.

So again, my advice is get rid of this car as fast as you can!! Do not waste thousands on a repair, esp. on the tranny, when (as you've read here and w/the other reviews) it WILL FAIL AGAIN! It's not a question of will it happen, it's WHEN WILL IT HAPPEN?

• Da
    David Bibb May 19, 2010

We bought a used 2003 Saturn Vue about 8 months ago...55, 000 miles on it. Thought we had a reliable car for many miles to come! But, about 7 months after the purchase, (April, 2010) the transmission went out. After going to the dealership that originally sold the car, we found out that the tranny had been replaced about 3 months before we bought it! Now the car has 77, 000 miles on it and the car needs a third transmission. GM said that they would split the cost with us. How very generous of them!! (not really!) Our cost is going to be around 2800...that makes the tranny worth about 5600...which is more than the car is even worth! We still owe 4500 on the car.
    Our dilemma: what do we do? Pay to get the piece of junk fixed? Defailt on the loan? Try to sell the hunk of jink? We have been without our reliable car for two weeks now.
    GM has had many complaints about this tranny and they are still ignoring the problem. Offering to pay half of the new trasnmission is NOT accepatble to me at all.
    I am totally frustrated. My husband and I are retired and cannot afford to buy another car. We THOUGHT we had a reliable when we purchased this Saturn. HELP!!!