Valvoline Instant Oil Changesubstantial overcharge ripoff

R

When I arrived at the Valvoline Instant Oil Change I told the young man that I had never been there before and asked how much an old change was. He told me $37.99. After the oil change, I was presented with a bill for $49.99. Besides tax, there was a $10 additional charge for a premium oil filter for my Mazda 3 that I wasn't informed of or have ever encountered before whenever I use Jiffy Lube to change my oil. Jiffy Lube usually changes my oil for ~$35.99 total. I told the gentleman at Valvoline Instant Oil Change that they won't see me ever again. I recommend that people stay away from these Manassas guys with their hidden charges.

• Kl
    klesel Jan 29, 2010

I have worked for oil change companies in the past before getting into college, so I know how this works, so bear with me here.
    The dealership charges x amount for an oil filter. They are legally allowed to keep the patent on the filter for as long as their lawyers fight it, until a 3rd party like fram, jiffylube or valvoline can start producing the filter. If Mazda is making serious money on the filter, they will keep fighting it as long as possible. Jiffylube probably used a filter for the year before, that was very close to, but not the exact same filter, to keep prices down. Is this cheap, shotty workmanship or a good bargaining decision? As for the total price, that's very obvious. Jiffy lube charges extra for things such as tire inflation and fluid top offs. Valvoline does them all, and includes the price in the total bill. True, the employee at valvoline should have informed you of the cost, but it's your fault for not asking if it is an issue. If a TV doesn't have a price tag on it, you don't carry it to the cashier and then tell him/her you'll never be coming back because the price is too high.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices