322 E Illinois St, Chicago, IL, 60611, US

Reviews and Complaints

Lack of customer service

On Sunday, July 20, 2008 at approximately 12:30 pm, my wife and I purchased tickets to see the 2:45 pm viewing of "The Dark Knight". We have decided to wait upstairs in front of the auditorium it was playing in and sat down. There was no ushers present at all and people came and left the auditorium as they pleased. We didn't pay any mind to it because in order to access the upper level that the auditoriums were located, everyone had to show their tickets. For roughly an hour and a half, we waited until finally, the ushers, serving as the maintenance team, arrived to clean up for the next showing. (The one we paid for.) When the auditorium was ready for ticket holders, we showed our ticket stubs and entered. Being that the advertisements were still playing, my wife went out of the auditorium to use the restroom, which was right next to it. The usher there saw her leave the auditorium and enter the restroom. Meanwhile, I was still in the auditorium waiting for her to return. As soon as it dawned on me that I was still holding both of our ticket stubs, I hear her yell out my name. (We were seated near the exit). I went out to see what was going on and she tells me that the same usher, whose name we don't remember, being that all of this event was going by so quickly was being very rude and belligerent about letting her into the theater and telling her co-workers to call security because "some crazy woman is trying to get into the theater" I came in and showed both of our ticket stubs and then she got very rude to the both of us. We then went inside where my wife, shaken by the ordeal, told me exactly what had happened. After I calmed her and myself down, we went past the usher and went directly to speak with Bob, the manager on duty.

After waiting for him to tend to another complaint by a customer who asked for him right before we did, we told Bob exactly what had happened and where it happened. Being that we didn't remember her name, we did describe her (a woman of African-American descent in her early 20's, medium build, around 5'5" with shoulder length wavy hair with a white hairpiece) and even offered to point her out, being that she was still there. He was cold and said that we should have had our tickets ready. I replied that both of us understand the concept of security and never meant to cause any trouble, however, there were other ways this issue could have been handled. To which he replied "Well, I apologize. I'll talk to her. Enjoy the rest of the show."

We were returning to the auditorium and the same usher was talking to her co-worker in front of auditorium 11 (Our seats were in auditorium 12). We didn't realize that it was auditorium 11 until I showed her both of our ticket stubs again. The co-worker said that it was for the one next door, to which the same usher chimed in by sarcastically saying "Oh, they KNOW where they were supposed to go!" We went to our auditorium, overhearing her further saying derogatory things about the both of us.

As I have said, we both understand the concept of security and respect their need to keep it up. However, the usher in question should have addressed the issue differently than how she had addressed it. Being that we were admitted on the floor where they were showing the movies should have been an indicator that we had paid for something and not there to defraud the movie theater. She should not have acted as she had and Bob should have taken the complaints of the customers of AMC more seriously than he had. This ruined what could have been a great experience watching a great movie.

I've tried to contact the corporate headquarters regarding this issue, using the above text as the body of the email. However, the site only gave the phone number to the theatres nearest to us as well as a postal address for their corporate office, which I found strange. (I will send them a letter anyway).

joe Jul 21, 2008

Leave the girl alone for god's sake. At least she is a working "African American"... your words. Convenient that you noticed that!

• Ka
    Katelyn Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, Joe, I see what you mean. They're too stupid to do much else then get pregnant.

• Rv
    rvadded Feb 13, 2009

Regardless of the racist comment, the prices charged should afford better service from qualified, well trained employees. I suspect the owners of AMC Theaters are smiling every day on the way to the bank. My suggestion is to find other entertainment as the cost is not competitive any longer at movies, particularily at AMC Theaters.

• Up
    upset AMC customer Feb 15, 2009

I'm sure he did not mean to emphasize her being an "African American." He was simply describing the usher to the unknowledgeable manager (whom is an idiot as well). I am trying to file a complaint and seem to not be able to find amc's corporate number and/or address. Can someone please post it? Thank you. Let me just say, the amc workers (including managers) need to 'enjoy' providing good service in their job because there are plenty of ppl out there that are ready to take this job in a heart beat!

jackie bastel Apr 21, 2009

Could anyone advice me on the proceedures that take place between showings within the theatre? ie: cleaning under the seats, etc? Very anxious to hear as I have had a terrible experiance ~ thanks y'all.

John Welbert Nov 17, 2009

This is to inform you regarding the inconvenience faced by the employee because of her lack of customer service.

In AMC Theatre 42 Street Manhattan New York a employee of theirs had no customer skills and lacked of customer service. Her name tag said Evelyn. She had the worst attitude ever.!!We had ask her to get the manager, but she never got her manager. We wanted to complain about her lack of customer service to a manager. So we left and went arcross the street to the other movie theatre.

Where do you find these people to work for you???We are very disappointed with AMC Time Square 42

Look at the peoples attitude before you hire them for your company. I hope someone read this.

Best...

• St
    staci8311987 Feb 03, 2010

I myself am an ex- amc worker and I can tell you that would have never happened where I worked. All ppl no matter what should be treated right. the hasseling in the begaining should have been horrible but the fact that she later and I'm qouting this

"The co-worker said that it was for the one next door, to which the same usher chimed in by sarcastically saying "Oh, they KNOW where they were supposed to go!" We went to our auditorium, overhearing her further saying derogatory things about the both of us."

that there should never happen to anyone. thats just disrespectful. there was a difference when she was although she could and should have handled it differently, was hassleing your wife about the tickets but for that poor display after she should be fired. On behave of the good amc employees and ex-employees I applogize.

• Dm
    DMONTY Apr 14, 2010

After the service I got from AMC I know to go Harkins Theatres instead. Its cheaper and the $1 refill cup saves me money! Their employees always smile and treat me right.

• Gi
    giesickd Jan 01, 2011

I'm an amc employee, many of us working here at amc love it but, we all deserve a raise even if many of us have been here since the company change. this is the only job in the wourld where you get no raise and thats wrong discriminating. Also, I think that each employee shoud be aloud to work as many houres as they want. When we go to work clock on then a little later they send us home, many of us need the money and want to keep working so if they send us home we should still get paid for the houres that we were to be working that day. Please consider thees and they will be greatly appreashiated by the staff and management. Thank you.

• J3
    j3rm5 Mar 13, 2011

how about instead of insulting AMC think of this, try ushering, maybe dark knight was out the same time as 4 other theatres that people for some reason were too lazy to throw away their own trash, F%*% all of you

• J3
    j3rm5 Mar 13, 2011

You kn

• Ka
    Katz5289 Aug 19, 2012

Wow, I am surprised about the defensiveness of some of the AMC employees or ushers that posted comments. First of all, as a customer, this gentleman has every right to complain. Company's that offer services are measured by their degree of quality when it comes to customer care. It's easier to forget a bad product if the EMPLOYEES exemplify professionalism and courtesy to a customer. As far as the comment from j3rm5, it's not a matter of being an usher, it's a matter of being a customer and I'm sure you've been there plenty of times. As far as people not throwing their own trash, I agree that those few are lazy, however, didn't you know that was an occurrence before you signed the application to take the job?? As for shutupjoe, regardless of race, a good company is reflective of their employees. This complaint blog wouldn't be posted if the employees at some (I'm not saying all employees of AMC portray this) of the AMC theater take more focus on providing stellar service.

Sorry Jason for your experience. Im a strong believer of karma. I'm sure that lady will experience bad customer service and hopefully use it as a reflection of what she delivers herself.

• E7
    e713 Sep 01, 2012

My friend and I went to the AMC Theater in Skokie, Illinois, Village Crossing. If you don't have your ticket stub with you when you go the bathroom. You are treated like a criminal. Also don't look up, all around, other wise they will question you, and may ask you to leave. With ticket prices the way they are, and no weekend matinees, or senior citizen discounts; I hope all they all go broke. It serves them right. I wouldn't recommend any one going to this particular theater.

Madridismus Sep 15, 2012

I am complaining that Raiders of the Lost Ark was not shown in IMAX for the extended period of time that customers demand and was not made widely available in most AMC markets. This is terrible. The release of the film was extended from September 14th of 2012 onward and this should be respected by AMC executives. Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/14/4820554/due-to-popular-demand-newly-re.html I called an AMC theater and I discovered that the film is being taken out of the mix of regular screen after today despite many customers requesting the extension be respected (esp. for IMAX quality). Call here and ask yourself: (617) 423-5801 and let your voice be heard.

Madridismus Sep 15, 2012

P.S. I like to add that the film RESIDENT EVIL was pushed over RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK which is poor choice of excuses from AMC. You ought to do better. If you live in NYC you can see Raiders in IMAX at AMC EMPIRE 25 call (212) 398-2597 to inquire. The Big Apple gets the job done, why not Boston? Paramount needs to talk to AMC. I like to note that not even Orlando or Los Angeles has the IMAX fixture for Raiders, look here: http://www.imax.com/movies/m/indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-imax-experience/

Someone should be fired!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-extends-the-limited-imax-r, 84979/

• Ti
    Tim Zdrale Sep 30, 2016

Scam of Facebook by AMC Theartres. Invitation to register with AMC for free theatre tickets. This is nothing but a scam but no one wants to investigate either AMC or Facebook! Good luck trying to reach someone who cares . . . You think both compaines who want to know if there is a SCAM on Facebook and how it would affect viewing customers? Horrible coporations!!!

• On
    Onda Jan 05, 2017

Customer service was not able to help me. There was a technical glitch with the online renewal process and documented by the rep, but they are still wanting to charge me for the renewal even though it is their error. I was on hold for 45 the first time I called for a live rep. The 2nd time I called I was on hold for about 1 hour and 15 minutes and could no longer wait for a rep. Maybe AMC has reduced the number of customer service reps to reflect a greater profit margin for its stock holders.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices