Menu

US Airways review: Laptop stolen from luggage

S
Author of the complaint
7:14 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On February 22, my laptop was stolen from my suitcase on a U.S. Airways flight from New Jersey to Oakland. I contacted the airline immediately and filed a complaint, including all the information they requested: complete details of my flight and the stolen item, proof of purchase for the laptop (a MacBook Air that cost me $2, 000), etc.

After keeping me waiting for a month, U.S. Airways sent me a form letter telling me that it does not compensate for laptops. I don't know what to do about this. If they have a policy of not compensating for stolen laptops, why couldn't they have told me this a month ago instead of making me jump through all these hoops? And what, if anything, *would* they compensate for?

Update by Shaenon Garrity
Mar 23, 2011 9:54 pm EDT

I can't pack absolutely everything I own in my carry-on, and sometimes the airline makes you check stuff anyway if they decide your carry-on is too big. I guess it was foolish to think I could pack something valuable in my luggage ONCE and not have it stolen, but US Airways' refusal to take any responsibility whatsoever is shameful. Especially now that airlines charge you for checked baggage, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect the baggage to be left alone.

More US Airways complaints & reviews

US Airways - Free ticket offer
US Airways - customer service
US Airways - So Called 'Perks'
US Airways - free ticket