United Payment ServicesFraud

D

I opened up an account with United Payment Services December 2010 for the processing of credit cards. I had previously used another merchant service for 7 years, but elected to switch because United Payment Services offered a lower rate and could help with our new website to facilitate credit card payments. The "field representative" further assured us that there wasn't a contract and that the 10% of all transactions being held was merely a precaution and that it would be returned as soon (3-4 months) as their risk management department saw an established pattern of good payment cycles without any charge backs. It should be noted that I hadn't had a charge back with my previous merchant service in 7 years. My average ticket price was $100-$175. I had a customer who received some further services from me and wished to pay by credit card for the amount of $500. United Payment Services "risk management" called me regarding this amount as it was more than the average ticket amount and said they would need to call the customer to verify the purchase price was okay with my customer. After I got a call from my customer verifying their phone call and telling them they were in agreement with the services, I spoke to Janette at United Payment Services. She said that they were unwilling to honor the credit card purchase and that I would have to refund the amount. I asked her what was the purpose of calling my customer then and asked to speak to her senior. She put me through to a voicemail and I didn't receive a phone call back regarding the matter. This put me in an awkward position as I had to explain the situation to my customer and have him write a check. He asked "Why did they call me then?" To which I of course did not have a response. I am currently in the process of discontinuing services with them. I just found an attempted debit to my account in the amount of $399 for not staying with them for 3 years. This was in a 30 page contract that I electronically agreed to as an initial startup. Janette explained to me that they cannot be responsible for what their "field representatives" say upon signing up new clients. When I told her it was misleading she said "Did you read the contract?" I have had to put a stop payment on this company and am devising a plan to have my 10% deposit returned. I wouldn't be surprised if their was a clause in the contract that said they get to keep this too.