Toronto PathwaysToronto Pathways is a stupid scam

Hi everybody,

Today I received a phone call from Toronto Pathways. I was invited to interview right away, seemed me fishy. The receptionist asked me to take a pen to note the address. She did not asked me any (at least general) questions about my resume, my experience which I have. And now when I asked the name of position she told me it is accounting position saying the director wants to see me :)))))) So funny isn't it, why DIRECTOR NOT SOMEONE ELSE. Secondly it did not make sense for me, because there are dozens of accounting positions and seemed me completely fishy and after all she said me that you can bring your resume if you want mentioning it is general appointment. Well there is no general appointment in recruiting company. All of these indications made me to take them into consideration and in fact so far I had around 30 interviews and never googled for reviews neither for companies nor recruitment divisions. It is my first time I did it based on my suspects and I see the negative reviews. Generally speaking I would call them very stupid and unprofessional scammers, because if you want to fool someone first of all you have to speak in professional manner, ask some questions. Here are my some advises you can benefit in future:
Whenever you have a call from recruiter first is must be: Dear recruiter, do you have position available as of now, does not make sense if they say we have this particular position frequently. This is lie!! Because if they don't have position then it means they just want to simplify their work prolonging list of candidates with them for some purposes., For example: when they have available position they just search for some key words within hundreds of resumes, personally for me it does not make sense. If I helped you at least little then I am happy.

Joshwa Oct 26, 2012

Hi.
    During the first interview, did any one sign a "Consent Form". It generally meant, you give them permission to access your information on your CV.
    The form was a single page print out with 2 paragraphs. It spanned half the page, occupied with the content and some space for my signature and date.
    I read it. It looked fine, but written in "Lawyer" English. I just wanted to know if anyone else signed this too?
    Can it be misused?

If needed, my email ID is [email protected] A reply will put me at ease. Thanks.

• Sn
    SNMII Oct 15, 2012

Woooow! Thanks so much for submitting this review and the link to the CBC report on Pathways! I had an interview for later on today and it just saved me on driving all the way to Toronto. As well as being scammed of money I don't have. These people are low lives. Please continue to pass on the CBC report link http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/recruitmentripoff/ to as many people you know. Hopefully you can save someone else from being scammed.

• Tr
    truthwhattruth Mar 29, 2012

Brian, at least you have a bit of the right idea. You're correct that they're not recruiters, but the "so-called" part of career counselors is wrong. They're actual career counselors. The advisors even have real accreditations. I've seen them. I was a client, and I have never had any regrets about that. Everything they talked about actually worked. They helped me get my career back on track over 5 years ago, and the advisors I worked with are still there. I'm not an immigrant. My family has been here for about 200 years, but that didn't help me at all to get a job after my company closed down and left me without a job after over 20 years of employment. What they do may not be for everyone, but it sure helped me.

• Re
    reza123 Feb 20, 2012

Hi folks,
    I knew these people from Vancouver couple of years back. It seems they don't stay in one place for a long time. The principal of the scam is the same. They would call you sounding like a recruiter then they will work you in to some sort of a "right candidate for us" situation than they will reveal their intentions in a second interview "you pay us couple grand and we guaranty your success". I knew the minute I hang up the phone who they were and sill did go to the meeting to make fun of the phony director (I am an executive myself with foreign name of course. that seem to be their selection criteria) . I had nothing better to do and I found this to be very amusing and managed to piss the Mr. director off real bad. I did tell him though that I knew him from Vancouver and I knew that the whole thing was a scam.

• Br
    Brian Landon Feb 19, 2012

I've been involved in professional recruitment for 15 years. Toronto Pathways is NOT a recruitment firm!! They are a so-called career counselling company. When you get a call from a recruiter, regarding your resume(if you've posted it online) they will talk specifically about the role they are interested in having you apply to. A real recruitment firm always has a job description, and if they are serious, once they have your updated resume and a committment, the majority of them will ask you if you've applied to a particular client of theirs(naming their client company). Many of us work on commissions(even with small base salaries in some firms) and we are not going to waste our time talking to you about presenting you to a company (in person) if you're not qualified(can't answer specific questions related to your resume), or if you're not interested in the salary range. When we do meet with you, we professional recruiters will give you far more advice on how to do well in the interview because we know that client and how they will or might perceive you. We present you for your skillsets and experience, how you present yourself, how you communicate(written and verbal) not on a fee!! We get paid a contingency fee after you've been placed, and in most instances, 90 days after(your probationary period). We will give you tips on how to fix your resume up, how to ace an interview, but in the end, its the employers who make the decision to hire you!
    And when you are called by a recruiter, make sure your resume is up-to-date, that you are honest about who you are, and what you say you can do. And don't think because a recruiter calls you're going to get the highest salary possible. That is always up to the employer in the end, not us!

In the meantime, work on your communication skills(its a number one 'killer' in an interview no matter how qualified you are, and just because you've got a Masters degree from your home country and have been here only a few months, don't expect a job offer right away. And don't expect you're getting 100k a year right off the bat!! Its not going to happen!

Good luck on your job searches.

• Ha
    Hasan111 Feb 18, 2012

Here is the link you need to know all about these scammers...:

Just STAY away!

• Vo
    VO!CEMYConcern Feb 17, 2012

Hi there,
    They tried calling me twice today as well. Fortunately, I saw the article on how they ripped people off and they were featured on CBC Marketplace. When I answered the phone the second time she asked me if I would like to come in for an interview next week.
    I said to her straight out; "I am not interested in dealing with your company as I heard bad things about you on the news and how you operate and don't call me again!!" She said she would write on my resume not to call me again. I am glad I saw that article and stopped her from going any further!

• Cd
    CDP/HR PRO Feb 03, 2012

Thank you for posting this. I too got a call from these people and became suspicious when they wouldn't reference a specific position. I can use my own network and search for jobs using my own resources thankyouverymuch! If anyone wants FREE resume/job search advice from an HR professional training in Career Development, let me know and I will help!

• He
    helenej Jan 26, 2012

I too received a call today. I asked them questions such as where did you get my resume. I did not send them anything. They said their specialist found me on the web. She was really pushing for me to go tomorrow, I agreed to next week. I knew I was going to do some research on these folks right out of the gate. I asked what position is it that I would be suited for. She said that the director would tell me once I get here. Recruiters work for company's, not people looking for work! I don't trust Toronto Pathways with a 10 foot pole.

• Ha
    Hasan111 Jan 16, 2012

Hey guys,
    Please check the link below about other people who went through the same experience. I personally complained to "Better Business Bureau" and "Competition Bureau", but so far no action, NOTHING and these crooks are scamming the most vulnerable job seekers who are to provide for their family:

Toronto Pathways — Employment scam - Toronto Pathways

S A Jan 11, 2012

I've get the same thing. After the first meeting (yes, I went to the first meeting) I was very skeptical about the company and the offers that they showed about other candidates that had get a job by them. So, I googled the company and figured it out that they were scammers. They offered me some sort of services fee of more than $5.500 for their services.

It's simple. They want to take advantage from newcomers and immigrants who couldn't get a good job yet. Doesn't make sense for me a company like this survive in this market. I still don't know how they make money. It's a shame, take advantage of some "desperate guys" who really need to provide the basics to their family.

I'm lucky, because I just have to take care about myself, so, I didn't have problem to refuse their offer. So, be aware: NEVER PAY TO GET A JOB. This is the first rule that I've ever learned here. For any other person who read this.

Good luck to you all.