Terra SiberiansCat breeding

S Jan 05, 2017 Review updated:

I am going to share my negative experience with Terra Siberians cattery. This is a personal experience that occurred in the summer of 2016.
I spent a while researching cat breeds and I decided on a Siberian cat. Terra Siberians is located in Waterford, Michigan. After my research, I decided to get a retired male Siberian cat named Glam from the breeder Liz. ( I was looking for an adult cat, not a kitten).
A few pictures were shared with me online as well as the cat's personality and a price was set to purchase the cat Glam. Liz told me that the cat (Glam) would be sold to me unaltered because her vet charges an upwards of $500 to neuter cats. And since it was so high, I would need to find a vet to neuter the cat. While I thought this was strange, I agreed to it.

I drove to Waterford to pick up the cat. Liz was nice when I went to pick up the cat. BUT the cat was very matted when I picked him up. I thought this was also strange since she kept saying how much he liked to be brushed. I figured a breeder would take care of the cats fur. Glam was shy when I first picked him up and I thought that to be normal. It takes cats time to warm up to new people.
I took Glam home and it immediately turned into a disaster. My vet confirmed he had a UTI and crystals in his urine. A licensed vet confirmed he was not sold to me in good health. Glam would hiss and try to bite me. I couldn't get within five feet of him. And since he was unaltered, he was spraying EVERYTHING. Liz assured me he wouldn't spray but be did. I was new to male cats so I didn't realize how bad it could be. I tried for weeks to get him used to me, nothing was working. He was a very aggressive cat.
When I messaged Liz on facebook about it, she kept saying to give it more time. I tried but weeks went by.
His behavior was not changing. I asked Liz if I could give her the cat back and if she could give me a refund. I only asked for a refund because she didn't give him to me in good health and this caused me to have a couple large vet bills. She refused and I didn't push it too hard. I knew I needed to find him a new home.

This is where I became thoroughly frustrated. Liz found a different family to take Glam. I told her I would only give her back the cat to give to the other family if she told them everything about Glam. His aggressive personality and spraying habits. She said she did. I got the contact information from that family and spoke to the wife. LIZ DID NOT TELL THE OTHER FAMILY. They thought they were going to buy a very friendly male cat with no issues. So I told the family about my experience and they were appalled. They didn't end up taking Glam.

Side Note:
While Glam was in my care, I was curious about his pedigree. I asked Liz if she had it to give to me and she did not. She had told me the name of the breeder in Europe where Glam originally came from. So I contacted this breeder to ask if I could see the pedigree. This breeder was shocked and upset at the fact that Liz had sold me her male cat. And this breeder was even more upset that he was sold to me unaltered. When Liz purchased this cat from a breeder in Europe, part of the contract was that it would not be sold again to anyone else without prior authorization. As a breeder, Liz should have taken that more seriously. I was very apologetic to the original breeder of Glam and let her know I was sorry.

So after the other interested family backed out of adopting Glam, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't keep an aggressive make cat who was spraying all over my house. Liz assured me the spraying would go away once he was neutered. I joined several facebook siberian cat and purebred cat pages. EVERYONE I spoke with said no cat should be sold unaltered. And that the cat will not stop spraying even when it is altered.

My overall experience with this breeder was AWFUL!! I will not ever buy another cat from this breeder. I personally thought she was unprofessional and didn't take care of the cats.
I ended up getting a different siberian cat from a breeder in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I would looking at other breeders. No breeder should lie to you and sell you a sick cat, EVER!!! And if a breeder creates a cat contract with you and expects you to follow through with it, they should follow through with their own. Liz did not do that according to the original breeder of Glam.

Again, this is my own personal experience. I am entitled to my own opinions and thoughts. But again, please be advised if you plan on buying a cat through her.

• Updated by StopTerraSiberians · Jan 08, 2017

I'm happy that other people have had successful experiences with Terra Siberians. I hope no else gets a sick cat.
    This was a summary of my experience that went on for a couple months. A liscensed vet determined Glam was unhealthy. Not unhealthy due to environment change or stress. Unhealthy due to previous care for the cat. Care that Liz provided. There were other medical issues that GLAM had but I only mentioned a few. My contract with Liz stated I would get Glam neutered. Which I did. But I was told after that, Liz would NOT take the cat back because she could no longer use him for breeding. And she told me she could NOT have two male adult cats in her home. Because of territory issues. Which I understand. So to be clear, Liz told me numerous times should COULD NOT take the cat back and wouldn't give me a refund.

Also, I only contacted the breeder of Glam because a person who Liz put me in contact with who was thinking about taking Glam wanted his pedigree. And Liz said she didn't have it. I had no hidden agenda there. But once the family saw the temperament of the cat, they backed out.

• Updated by StopTerraSiberians · Jan 08, 2017

Offering to take the cat back 7 months after I originally adopted him doesn't help me. She knows I don't have him anymore.

• Updated by StopTerraSiberians · Dec 21, 2017

I’m glad you found a different kitten from a reputable breeder. I did the same thing. I have read several complaints from sumerous people about Terra Siberians. Everytime, Liz always says she’s dealing with a death in the family or a family emergency. Instead of just owning up to her poor business choices.

Jan 05, 2017

This really saddens me. My 8 year old girls still cry because they miss this very sweet cat you claim is so unfriendly. Matted? He loves brushings, There was not a mat on him when you took him home. I have all the pics I took of him the day you were here playing with him to prove how immaculate and friendly he really was. I hear you had him shaved because your boyfriend cant stand long haired cats. I had other breeders and friends try to get him back from you because you would not bring him back to me. I realized after some other breeders brought Glams situation to me that I failed in screening you as a good pet owner. Yes, my vet is expensive but I have retired many cats previously without any problems, The problem this time is you. I contacted you over time to check up on him and you were abrasive with me. I have all the texts and emails from others to include pics that you mistreated Glam and if I could still get him back to this day I would happily bring this sweet boy home again.

Jan 05, 2017

@Liz Hart Yes, there was matting on Glam when I received him. You were trying to brush him in your dining room area when I picked him up. The matting wouldn't come out and you yourself used regular scissors to cut some of it out. Upon taking Glam to a groomer, they recommended a lion cut because of how matted me was. It had nothing to do with my boyfriend, that's just a lie you created. I have pictures to prove how matted he was. And I had videos to prove he bit me and how aggressive he became.

My vet stated he was unhealthy when I received him.
    You broke a contract with the breeder who originally sold you Glam.

Since I could no longer take care of Glam, I ended up adopting a Siberian from a different breeder. My new Siberian is healthy, spoiled, and loved.

The only pictures I ever posted of Glam on a Siberian Facebook page were after he was shaved and visited my vet. He was healthy in those pictures. I never sent anyone else pictures. So how could you have pictures of how I mistreated Glam? ANOTHER LIE! I would love to see them. You still have my contact information. Feel free to email them to me.
    You are a terrible breeder and should not be selling unhealthy cats to anyone!!

Jan 05, 2017

Nope. Another lie. I also have proof. But I will gladly have him back. You saw how sweet he was here. I spent a lot of time talking to you about care and such. We love him.

Jan 05, 2017

But you couldn't afford very much for a cat and definitely not a kitten. Kittens are much different than adult cats. Right now I am dealing with my 84 year old mom who is expected to pass soon. I cannot keep this going. But please know that I will take Glamour back. We miss him. He is the sweetest cat and my kids miss him.

Jan 06, 2017

@Liz Hart Like I stated before, if you have proof that I mistreated the cat, why didn't you report me? Why has no one seen this proof? Because there is no proof and I would never mistreat a cat.

I wanted to get an adult cat because I wanted a mature cat. I wanted to skip the kitten phase. It had nothing to do with what I could afford.
    I have bought a Siberian kitten from a different reputable breeder in north west Michigan.

There's no excuse for you selling sick cats to people. There are other reports of this happening. So obviously this is not the first time you've done it.

•   Jan 07, 2017

Just out of curiosity, why did you not return Glamour to her? If he was so awful, why didn't you bring him back & get your money back? She seems to have asked you, kindly, multiple times to return him.

I have one of Glamour's kittens. He is 2 years old and literally the best cat in the world. He came to us clean, happy, and extremely well socialized. I call him "The Baby Sitter." We foster pets sometimes from our local shelter and Sherlock will always play with them and teach them appropriate behavior. XD He is hilarious. We got him when my youngest was about 6 months old and he quickly became her cat. He wanted to sleep next to her every night and to this day, he follows her into every room and watches her. Never once has he bitten, scratched, or even been aggressive... towards ANYTHING. He is the most cuddly, loving, social cat ever. Every time we go to the vet, the entire office passes him around and they adore him. His demeanor is just the coolest ever. He is my second cat from Terra Siberians. I first got Kitasha in the fall of 2014 after losing my sister (and finding out my husband and I were expecting). I never had owned a cat before, and my husband is allergic. I found Liz's page and stalked her for 2 months because I was in love with this adorable peach, grey & white kitten. She was what I dreamed of. So beautiful. Liz from Terra Siberians was absolutely wonderful to me throughout the entire process. She walked me through owning a Siberian and let me know what to expect. She equipped me with the tools I needed to be a good cat mom. Kitasha arrived beautifully as well, perfectly healthy. To this day, she is "momma's baby." She helped me through literally the worst year of my life. I can not even imagine not having her through my grieving process with my sister.

We waited until Sherlock (Glamour's son) was about 7 months old to neuter him. He did start spraying a few weeks before his appointment. Which, by the way, is a totally normal thing for male cats to do when they are intact. So is aggressive behavior. It seems to me that Glamour was fine at Terra Siberians and then his personality changed when his environment changed. He may have been having a hard time with the adjustment. Especially with him being intact. He sounds like he became very territorial which can happen with a big change like that. I don't think it's a stretch to think that he was having a difficult time in a new home with all the testosterone pumping through his body. Who knows. As far as Glamour having a UTI, that sucks, but it happens.. It could have been that he was stressed out from the change and stopped drinking water. Was it Liz's fault that your cat had a UTI? I don't think so. I have 3 daughters who range in age from 12 years to 20 months old. Sometimes they get UTI's. Is it my fault? I'm pretty sure I can't be blamed for that. Liz said she was sorry that she missed the UTI. I don't think she would intentionally get a cat sick and then sell him. It just doesn't make any sense. Going on a rampage to destroy Terra Siberians because you bought an intact male who had territorial issues, mats and a UTI seems a little excessive. It seems pretty obvious that he didn't spray at Liz's house because he was "home" there. He didn't feel the need to mark his territory. He didn't act out in aggression the way he did with you because he didn't feel threatened by his surroundings. All of your "investigative work" seems a little excessive too...

Side note- I find it strange that you contacted the breeder she got Glam from. Where you trying to use him as a breeder? Where you trying to sell him as a breeder? This whole thing seems sketchy to me. Seriously sketchy. I think anyone reading this (besides the other 4 people with bad experiences) would agree...

Okay... Mats.. mats can happen over night.. I will brush my cats daily and the next day, I will find a mat behind their ears. Just recently, I found two huge mats under Kitasha's armpits. They totally snuck up on me. Does that mean I'm an awful person? No. I'm human.. I err. I make mistakes.

Liz is also human. Some things are bound to slip by her. I'm sure that every cattery has lost a kitten now and again. It's heartbreaking, but it's life. I now have 3 of Liz's Terras. My third was flown all the way to Alaska and she is pristine. After reading all these horrible posts from people about Terra Siberians, I just had to speak up. There was no evidence of fleas, dirt, sickness, disease. Nothing, ever. I always made a vet appointment within 3 days of picking them up from the airport, and they were all healthy. The truth of the matter is, when a cat is shipped, there is a chance that they wont arrive the way they left. And unfortunately, some times animals pass away during shipping. That is why the airlines have started having stricter policies to ensure animals arrive unharmed. What's important is that Liz has always apologized profusely and offered a refund as well as a new kitten. That's what I keep reading, anyway.

I would personally recommend Terra Siberians to anyone one. I have had nothing but great experiences with her. Each of the three cats that I have from her are everything I hoped they would be. I hope this situation can be settled peacefully and that you will give Liz back her cat in exchange for your money back.

•   Jan 07, 2017

Love my 3 Terra's so much!!

•   Jan 08, 2017

@Sarah Tucker As far as Liz's personality, I feel like she is one of the most generous, caring people that I have known in a long time. It's so unfortunate that a few complaints on a forum could turn into something like a life goal to shut down a cattery and ruin a person's reputation. While there have been 3 or 4 complaints, there have been many, many more great experiences. But alas, this is a complaint forum, not a praise forum.

I will always vouch for Liz, as she has never been anything but sincere, honest, genuine and kind hearted. My name is Sarah Tucker and I can be reached at [protected]@gmail.com if anyone ever wants to speak to me. I'd encourage people to do their research always before selecting a breeder, but understand that 4 people's opinions are not the majority. Liz has homed many kittens to loving families who are completely satisfied with their experiences. ✌️

Jan 08, 2017

@Sarah Tucker But alas this is a complaint forum not a praise forum. I would personally recommend Terra Siberians to anyone. I have had nothing but great experiences with her. Each of the three cats that I have from her are everything I hoped they would be. I hope this situation can be settled peacefully, and that you will give Liz her cat back, in exchange for your money. I will always vouch for Liz as she has never been anything that sincere, honest, genuine, and kind hearted. I am not trying to hide behind a screen name. My name is Sarah Tucker and I can be reached at Tucker party of five at Gmail dot com if anyone ever wants to speak to me. I'd encourage people to do their research always before selecting a breeder but understand that a handful of opinions are not the majority here. Liz has homed many kittens to loving families who are completely satisfied with their experience with her.

I received no compensation for this post, and nobody told me to post it. 🙄

•   Jan 07, 2017

You made a bad decision and now you're paying for it. An unsprayed old male cat (I assume used for mating) is going to be aggressive and spray all over the place. That's the "nature of the beast". And on top of it, Siberians are not known for their cool casual loving nature, too begin with. And spaying him at this age is not going to stop his man-ish behavior. You have to neuter male cats when young. You know you'll never get that spray odor out of that house, don't you? Heaven forbid if you ever have to sell that place. (My friend Jeannie could tell you...long story).

• A
      Nov 09, 2019

@JKWilliams "Siberians are not known for their cool casual loving nature, too begin with. " are you sure you know what you are talking about? I have researched this breed extensively and it says they get along with everyone even dogs. In fact I have a deposit on one right now with a breeder in southeast Michigan.

• A
      Nov 09, 2019

@JKWilliams Also you spay a female and neuter a male. Your lack of knowledge in this area showes.

Jan 07, 2017

Don't know why my comments aren't showing up... I will keep submitting them until they do.

@Sarah.Tucker ***were... stupid autocorrect

Jan 07, 2017

@Jayruh Miller Lol. I opened this in google and now I am signed on to my daughter's account. I have posted this comment a dozen times and it won't show up. So I've broken in down into sections, hoping it will finally post.

•   Jan 08, 2017

@Jayruh Miller Xxxxxxxx

Jan 08, 2017

@Sarah Tucker this site is rigged to not let me finish my post! ugh!!

Jan 08, 2017

@Sarah.Reece.Tucker As far as Liz's personality, I feel like she is one of the most generous, caring people I have known in a long time. It is so unfortunate that a few complaints of a forum could turn into something like a life goal to shut down a cattery and ruin a person's reputation. While there have been a handful of complaints, there have been many, many more great experiences with this breeder. But, alas, this is a complaint forum, not a praise forum.

Jan 08, 2017

@Sarah.Reece.Tucker I would personally recommend Terra Siberians to anyone. I have had great experiences with all 3 cats that I purchased from her. In a previous post, it was said that I was bribed to post on Liz's behalf. That is ludicrous. We just purchased our 3rd kitten at full price because these kittens are worth it.

Jan 08, 2017

@Sarah.Reece.Tucker I will always vouch for Liz. She has been nothing but kind, genuine, helpful, sincere and honest. Of course I would recommend doing research before selecting a breeder, but don't allow yourself to be deceived into thinking 4 people's opinions are the majority. I guarantee that there are at least 20 times the amount of people that love Terra Siberians. As noted above, this is a complaint forum, so that's all that is posted here.

Jan 07, 2017

I will always vouch for Liz, as she has never been anything but sincere, honest, genuine and kind hearted. My name is Sarah Tucker and I can be reached at tuckerpartyoffive @ gmail. com if anyone ever wants to speak to me. I'd encourage people to do their research always before selecting a breeder, but understand that 4 people's opinions are not the majority. Liz has homed many kittens to loving families who are completely satisfied with their experiences.

Jan 07, 2017

I will always vouch for Liz, as she has never been anything but sincere, honest, genuine and kind hearted. My name is Sarah Tucker and I can be reached at tuckerpartyoffive at g mail dot com if anyone ever wants to speak to me. I'd encourage people to do their research always before selecting a breeder, but understand that 4 people's opinions are not the majority. Liz has homed many kittens to loving families who are completely satisfied with their experiences.

@Jayruh Miller Testinh

Jan 07, 2017

I will always vouch for Liz, as she has never been anything but sincere, honest, genuine and kind hearted. I'd encourage people to do their research always before selecting a breeder, but understand that 4 people's opinions are not the majority. Liz has homed many kittens to loving families who are completely satisfied with their experiences.

@Sarah.Reece.Tucker Testing

Jan 08, 2017

Ughhh I have a complaint with this ComplaintBoard website. I have spent way more time than I care to admit, trying to post the entirety of my reply. As soon as I log off, my reply disappears. I log back in, and it's there! Ughhh.
    It's so unfortunate that a few complaints on a forum could turn into something like a life goal to shut down a cattery and ruin a person's reputation. While there have been three or four complaints, there have been many, many more great experiences.

I received no compensation for this post, and nobody told me to post it. 🙄

• K
      Jan 10, 2017

Redemption and Recovery...we can find your missing pet
    We have helped over 27 different clients who can testify to our efficient and effective range of services. We have intervened in very pathetic situations how our ‘clients' have been ripped a huge sum of money and nobody seems to care or do anything about it. So a small group of ethical hackers have decided to help put an end to this. Pls spread the word, We will investigate the financial crimes and transactions thoroughly and also help you out with the task in ‘question'.. Contact. [protected]@outlook .com or text +[protected]. We work 24hours round the clock.
    We will help you recover all that’s been lost with just a little information that we will require of you. We have a great success record and also an unbelievably superb clientelle. We as experienced Professionals understand how awkward or embarrassing it is reporting certain situations to the 'negligent Authority’. We guarantee getting you Justice on the dark web. Share your story with US
    [protected]@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017

StopTerraSiberians,

Did you have Glamour put down? Whether or not you like Liz, can you think about those two little girls you met that first day? I have daughters around the same age. Couldn't you offer an olive branch, so to speak and just let them know if he is alright? 2 of my Siberians are Glamour's kids. I'D take him if he needed a home. Could I contact whomever has him now and ask if they would sell him to me? If he is still earthside.

And I'm sorry my post got sent so many times. It kept telling me "error" but then I actually saw it posted multiple times. We all love our Siberians, no matter who the breeder is. I sincerely hope ammends can be made in this situation. We are all human. We all make mistakes. I wish you nothing but happiness in your future and hope this conflict resolves itself soon for everyone's peace of mind. Could you find it in your heart to at least give my contact info to whoever has Glam? Or let Liz and her daughter's know that he is doing okay?

• T
      Dec 20, 2017

Dealing with Liz was beyond frustrating and disappointing. At first Liz was so extremely kind and helpful. We were sure we had found the perfect breeder and the perfect kitten for our kids. They had been so eager for a kitten but we thought it was impossible due to their allergies. We were so excited when we found out about this breed and the kids were elated that they were going to get a kitten for the holidays. Then the night before we were going to meet our new kitten, Liz emailed me and told me that she had to cancel our visit. OK I can understand that things come up and I know that her mom is having serious health problems. But Liz completely ghosted me. She wouldn't return my calls, my emails, my texts, nothing. She didn't offer a time to reschedule. The rest of the weekend passed, the week passed. I sent more emails, texts, calls, No reply from Liz. I have no idea if she sold the kitten to someone else, If the kitten died, what happened? Extremely unprofessional. After a few weeks, I found another kitten from a more professional breeder.

Dec 21, 2017

@tzvia I’m glad you went to a reputable breeder elsewhere to get a kitten. I did as well. There have been numerous people step forward to share their stories about sick kittens being sold from Terra Siberians. You’re lucky you didn’t end up purchasing one through Liz. After every complaint from a buyer, Liz always uses the excuse of a death in the family or a family emergency. Instead of owning up to her own poor breeding decisions.

Dec 21, 2017

We reserve the right to refuse sales to anyone. This was a buyer who wanted a trial run. We strive to place our kittens in permanent homes to reduce their stress. I tried working with this buyer on testing prior to committing. Yes my mother is dieing and I am needed to help, and this is a busy season and yes I did collapse early in the week. If she feels the need to write a complaint based on nothing then I feel that much better in my decision not to sell to her.

Dec 21, 2017

@Liz Hart You do not allow trial runs? Then why did I purchase a cat from you with with the stipulation that if it didn’t work out I could return him to you? That’s the contract I signed with Glamour. It didn’t work out and I chose to find a different home for him because he was neglected by you.

Dec 21, 2017

My mother is late stage dimentia. She requires daily care. I moved to michigan 5 years ago to concentrate on helping my mom. I also suffer health issues. Be honest and have a little compassion. I made an ethical decision not to sell to this buyer. About Glam, yes we wanted him back and are still willing to have him back. We miss him. He was the sweetest cat. You are not being ethical by refusing to tell me where he is or how he is doing.

Dec 21, 2017

I'm not here to debate with you. Not sure where all these unhappy people are but I swear on God's Holy bible that there are many more happy ones. Still would like to know where and how Glam is doing. My kids keep asking. I would pay anything to have him back. He was very adored here. Merry Christmas to you.

Dec 21, 2017

@Liz Hart If you are so concerned about glam then why did you tell me you couldn’t take him back when I first messaged you about the issues? Why did you refuse to give a refund before? I still have Facebook messages to prove it. You can pretend to be concerned all you want. The only thing you ever tried to do was resell him to another family when he was still in my care.

I have compassion for others. Making up stories about sick family members every time you sell a sick kitten doesn’t justify your actions. People have better things to do than make up fake stories about you. I don’t doubt you’ve sold a lot of healthy kittens. But it doesn’t take away from the fact that you’ve sold sick Siberian cats. You should be accountable for your actions. Even if it was only three or four sick cats out of a hundred. You still need to be held accountable for your actions.